Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rate My Turkey Pattern

Chingon

First time turkey hunter here. Last minute attempt to dial in a setup...

Rifle:
Benelli SBE3 20 gauge with Burris FastFire 3 mounted with Meadow Creek Rib Mount

I bought a Primos Jellyhead choke, but found out at the range that it didn't fit (SBE's have a special fitment). I returned it and picked up a Carlson's, but might not have time to sight in before the hunt. SO.... I just used the Benelli full choke.

Here are the results at 50 yards:
Federal TSS 9 (single shot, top sticker, 3" bullseye)
TSS9_SBE3_Fullchoke.jpg

Federal Meateater TSS load (bottom target)
Meateater_SBE3_Fullchoke.jpg

My thoughts - Factory Benelli choke with TSS 9 shells look OK? Meateater shells - where the heck did they land?

Good to go, or worth a range trip with Carlson's choke?

Hmm... looks like it's worth it for me to try out the new choke then!

Damn. That means I need a new choke as well cause TSS don’t look like that outta my 12 gauge at 50 yards.
lol, I got lucky with my setup. I’m shooting a Winchester XSP longbeard in 20 gauge with Apex 3” #9s with an Indian creek choke.

Jeez...the point is to close the distance.
Closer means tighter pattern and less damage to the edible parts of the bird.

You're killing turkey's with the top target for sure. That's good for 50 yards. You don't want it too tight at that range, or you'll be throwing pingpong balls at 20 yards.

I would be more interested in what it looks like at 20- 30 yards.

On my super Vinci with Carlson turkey choke, Long beard lock and loaded 3 1/2" 5s. 100 bb on regular printer paper at 60 yards. I since sold it and got a sb3

Just for your blood pressure. I'm out building fence with a couple Tom's strutting in the field. They don't seem to mind me.
For what it'd worth.
I'm with the closer crowd but I'd be happy with that pattern.

.410 TSS. 25ish yards on the left, 60ish on the right. I think my last bird was around that 25-30 yard mark.
thumbnail_IMG_3041.jpg

Back