Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Turkey hunting story

Nut

My turkey hunting tale from this past weekend.

Saw 1 flock

I tried to head them off on the way they was heading.

I headed that way and never saw them again.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Funny thing about the whole thing was they walked right across the target range during the 20 minute lull of the people using the range. Yep right across the range they walked during the only time the range wasnt used all day.

Nut, maybe take a stand at the shooting range and wait? stranger things. I have a turkey story from here in Az. myself and two friends had fall tags on the Kaibab in unit 12a. We went up a day early to scout. We saw 3 flocks of birds about 30 altogether, the day before season. We where able to roost one set of birds. We found them in the morning, but got in too close before first light. We pushed one bird off the roost and this stopped us from trying to get closer. Were we stopped we didn't have a decent vantage. We talked to the birds for about 10 minutes and then they flushed directly away from us not to be heard or seen again.
We decided to go try another set of birds, we saw the day before and on our drive over. We saw a set of birds off the road (highway 67) in a meadow about 300 yards off. I dropped my friends off about a 1/4 mile from the birds. I than flipped a u-turn and head back the other direction. I was able to get the truck pulled off on a side road away from the main road. I grabbed my .223. I was thinking the meadow was 200 or 300 yards wide and I might get a shot if the boys pushed them my way. I didn't get very far when I heard 2 quick shots followed by a second shot. I still had a hill to climb to make the meadow and it took me another 2 or 3 minutes to make it in the opening. I didn't see the birds but I saw my friends walking toward me with a turkey each slung over their shoulders. I met them in the middle of the meadow. I guess what happened was a couple of cars had stopped to watch the turkeys and the turkeys got nervious and headed back into the treeline in the direction of my friends. My friends and the turkeys rounded the same corner at the same time about 15 yards apart. It was a case of h----s--- for both of them and my friends each got a bird.
When I met up with my buddies I asked them if they thought I could get a bird and Chris sez I don't see why not their up in the treeline calling. I trade my .223 for Chris 12 gauge and Miguel and I head into the trees. We go maybe 75 yards and hear a bird call. Miguel calls back. I go another 30 yards and see heads and necks at 30 yards. I think Miguels calling has slowed them down because they don't seem to be in any particular hurry. I pick out what I think is the biggest bird. He had other birds around him so I had to wait until the rest cleared. He jumped up on a fallen log and when he did I baisicly a$$ shot him. He went 5 yards and died. I ended up making "turkey jerkey" out of my bird and Miguel's bird. I pulled 25 pellets out of Miguel's bird and 16 out of mine. The "turkey jerkey" is gone. I sure enjoyed it. We had a great time, but it's going to have to last because it was our only fall tag this year. Next hunt will hopefully be javelina in Feb. 2004. We are still having 100 degree days and I am talking about being done with fall biggame hunts, pretty crazy. Good Luck, JLG.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-20-2003 12:29: Message edited by: JLG ]</font>

JLG,
Yes We have gotten into scalies. They had alot of juveniles in the covey so been leaving them alone.
I have read your tales and you are more than welcome to go Quail hunting with me.
Right now its so hot that the dogs are only good for a couple hours.
Lets set up something for Nov. or Dec.
Lokk forward to meeting you and if your interested shoot me a message.

Quail Hunter, that sounds like a blast. Let's plan for it. Good Luck, JLG.

Thanks for the replys. Good luck on your adventures this fall. Quail hunter have you managed to knock down some scalies yet. I am a life long resident of AZ but I have never shot a scalie. Once again, Good Luck this fall, JLG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back