Yeti GOBOX Collection

Turkey Hunting Scouting & Etiquette

Zootownelk

Hi All-

I live in central Iowa and am new to turkey hunting. I've been scouting via internet this winter and have many places to check out before the season. The season starts in a month, but it's still very much winter here now. Looks like its going to be COLD and snowy for at least another couple weeks.

1. I'm planning to hunt mid April through early May. When would be a productive time to be scouting? Will turkeys be around now where they will be in mid April when we thaw out?

2. Etiquette Question: Central Iowa is sparse with public land. I"m not planning on being alone in the woods. What is considered the appropriate distance to be away from another turkey hunter. I'm a waterfowler, so I'd say minimum a few hundred yards for that. What about turkey hunters?

Any other tips for a novice?

Thanks!

Hi All-

I live in central Iowa and am new to turkey hunting. I've been scouting via internet this winter and have many places to check out before the season. The season starts in a month, but it's still very much winter here now. Looks like its going to be COLD and snowy for at least another couple weeks.

1. I'm planning to hunt mid April through early May. When would be a productive time to be scouting? Will turkeys be around now where they will be in mid April when we thaw out?

2. Etiquette Question: Central Iowa is sparse with public land. I"m not planning on being alone in the woods. What is considered the appropriate distance to be away from another turkey hunter. I'm a waterfowler, so I'd say minimum a few hundred yards for that. What about turkey hunters?

Any other tips for a novice?

Thanks!

My experience is only with merriam's out west, so keep that in mind...

1. I see turkey's in Jan-Feb in the same drainages they are in during the season, they are definitely in a similar area now to where they will be during the season. Typically merriams follow the snow line so they might be a half mile to a mile away... but in the same general area

2. Definitely not duck hunting, you are shooting at something on the ground not in the air, simply from a safety aspect I would stay 800 yards in flat terrain, maybe less if you are separated by a hillside or something... essentially whatever distance is appropriate for any kind of big game hunting.

In NY we'd start scouting in April, usually in the middle of the month with a May 1 opener. I'm not sure how it is in Iowa, but we'd see a small migration of sorts in the beginning of that month as the snow receded and the birds moved into their breeding and brooding area. Places that you couldn't find a track in in Feb would be covered in birds by May. You can certainly start looking for birds in Feb/March, but remember that the birds could move on you, so don't start making plans yet

Turkeys in Iowa are still very much grouped up and near food sources (barnyards). They will spread out later. I would just sit back and wait until things thaw out.

One advantage to winter scouting, is that when you find the birds, there will be a big old pile of them, as they all tend to roost together in very large groups. Tracking birds is easier in the snow, as it takes fairly squishy mud to get significant track depth for tracking in dirt/grasslands. Of course, if the snow is too deep, they may not leave their roost for several days.

As the weather begins to moderate, and thoughts of the adult birds turns to making new birds, they will begin to spread out into nesting areas/roosting areas as far as 4-6 miles away from their winter haunts for me here in Kansas.

Going later in the wintertime, into early spring, in general they will begin to become more vocal as the hormones start to heat up, and the young of the year birds will no longer be exclusively kee-keeing as they were last fall. If you are trying to find them by calling, coyote howls, peacock and crow calls as well as a well done owl call can get the boys to give themselves up. That said, my favorite shock call ever is the rumble strips and/or a semi trailer horn blow to get a bird to throw out a good gobble.

its easy enough to keep away from other fellas while turkey hunting.. Personally I steer well clear of where other guys are hunting, its not worth getting confused for a gobbler

As far as scouting goes, keep tabs on them as they transition to strutting fields, trying to pinpoint roosting areas. These will be where you’ll find success early season. Keep your turkey calls out of the woods at this point. When hunting, call the gobbler to you, resist trying to sneak up closer to one, not likely gonna happen. I’ve looked down the muzzle of a shotgun pointed at me because of someone trying to “sneak” closer to a gobbling Tom, not fun. Practice calling, find a bird no one else is hunting, and have a ball! It can be frustrating as you learn, but a blast once you figure it out ! Hope to see your grip and grin pic !

I believe turkey hunting has the highest rate of accidental shootings vs. other hunting pursuits, keep that in mind when giving space to other hunters and while setting up, and be able to positively identify your target before pulling the trigger.

1. Turkeys are still grouped up in Ne Iowa. I typically start listening for gobbling around mid March. The public I hunt is a large tract but it is completely surrounded by road. I shut my car off and listen at 4-5 spots each morning for a couple minutes to hear where the birds are. I take notes every morning on weather conditions and where the birds are roosting. Last year with the cold snowy April the early seasons were tough for me to call birds because they were still flocked up. This year is looking the same but things change quickly.
2. I run n gun going to where the turkeys are. I go 1st and 4th season and very rarely encounter another hunter during season 1. During season 4 I like to hunt during the week when possible and do not encounter many other hunters. If I am moving in closer to a bird I listen for other hunters and will leave if I think they are on the same. I wear an orange hat and have orange on my vest too.

Agree with the others give space (and plenty of it). If you are calling the same bird you are way too close.

That you all for the responses. I'm really looking forward to getting out this spring for some hunting and exploring new areas.

In my experience turkey hunting in IA can be excellent. As others have said give plenty of room. I've also had some success getting permission on private for turkeys in IA....by no means a slam dunk but easier than deer. Best turkey hunt I've ever been on was bc I had been hunting public for several days and seeing birds in the same private field each day driving home...finally got the cojones up to look up the owner and knock, got permission and had a fantastic hunt taking my first gobbler with a bow.

My other tip on IA...in my experience many of the Turkey ground in IA has a lot of open fields....have always been able to get gobblers sounding off from the roost but where I hunt they usually can see live hens in the field and fly down to them. Can't compete. A little later in the AM the hens have been bred and gone off to sit on nests and the gobblers are then much more resposive....many times I don't hit the fields and timber until 830 AM and have had really good success that way, killing birds between about 830 and noon. Have to be sneaky going in so you don't get busted but works well on the grounds I hunt.

Good luck!

In my experience turkey hunting in IA can be excellent. As others have said give plenty of room. I've also had some success getting permission on private for turkeys in IA....by no means a slam dunk but easier than deer. Best turkey hunt I've ever been on was bc I had been hunting public for several days and seeing birds in the same private field each day driving home...finally got the cojones up to look up the owner and knock, got permission and had a fantastic hunt taking my first gobbler with a bow.

My other tip on IA...in my experience many of the Turkey ground in IA has a lot of open fields....have always been able to get gobblers sounding off from the roost but where I hunt they usually can see live hens in the field and fly down to them. Can't compete. A little later in the AM the hens have been bred and gone off to sit on nests and the gobblers are then much more resposive....many times I don't hit the fields and timber until 830 AM and have had really good success that way, killing birds between about 830 and noon. Have to be sneaky going in so you don't get busted but works well on the grounds I hunt.

Good luck!
That is solid advice. If it’s heavily pressured go in the midmorning. The birds don’t gobble like at first lite but if you hear one gobble you have a very good shot at calling it in during the midday. And most others have left by 9 or 10 am!

I am also in central Iowa; will be hunting public ground 1st season and maybe 4th season too (we'll see). I intentionally hunt more marginal ground, and places that require a bit of a hike in (1/3 to 1/2 mile) and I have yet to see another hunter. If you're looking at an area with numerous hunters and crowding is an issue, I would HIGHLY suggest not hunting there for several reasons: safety, enjoyment of the experience, and lower chances of success (seasoned hunters tend to be better callers). You will see this in WMA's with a few hundred acres, mixed timber and ag, and easy road access. It's helpful to remember that this is not at all like public duck hunting where hunters cram on to a pond, spaced 100 yards or so apart. Turkeys go all over the place during the spring, and there is far more ground covered by them than hunters. Start by crossing off any area that lacks a turkey roost within 1/2 mile, but anything else is pretty much fair game.

Personally, I scout just a couple days before hunting. I check out likely feeding areas and look for concentrations of turkey poop and tracks, then hunt there. Nothing fancy; it works though. Feeding habits can change quickly in April as different plants/crops begin to green up. I figure I'll be wasting my time if I scout much earlier

Public ground turkeys often get call shy after 1st season. My 4th season strategy is about 90% run and gun. I killed a fall turkey last year run and gun in a marginal public land area. The turkeys there acted like they hadn't seen humans before (I doubt anyone had ever hunted them).

If you are going 2nd or 3rd season, consider starting your hunt around 9 AM. Toms are usually henned up early, but by mid-morning hens are on the nest and toms are on the move again looking for love.

If you want to run any specific scouting ideas past me, feel free to send me a PM

Avoid areas where its obvious other people are at by a few hundred yards. It honestly may not matter as a lot of guys run and gun chasing turkeys all over the country and if they hear you calling, may come to you anyway. Be safe.

ElkFever2 has good information. Almost exactly what I would recommend for hunting public land. Turkeys are fairly easy to pattern so a couple weeks of scouting should be enough closer to season.

I am also in central Iowa; will be hunting public ground 1st season and maybe 4th season too (we'll see). I intentionally hunt more marginal ground, and places that require a bit of a hike in (1/3 to 1/2 mile) and I have yet to see another hunter. If you're looking at an area with numerous hunters and crowding is an issue, I would HIGHLY suggest not hunting there for several reasons: safety, enjoyment of the experience, and lower chances of success (seasoned hunters tend to be better callers). You will see this in WMA's with a few hundred acres, mixed timber and ag, and easy road access. It's helpful to remember that this is not at all like public duck hunting where hunters cram on to a pond, spaced 100 yards or so apart. Turkeys go all over the place during the spring, and there is far more ground covered by them than hunters. Start by crossing off any area that lacks a turkey roost within 1/2 mile, but anything else is pretty much fair game.

Personally, I scout just a couple days before hunting. I check out likely feeding areas and look for concentrations of turkey poop and tracks, then hunt there. Nothing fancy; it works though. Feeding habits can change quickly in April as different plants/crops begin to green up. I figure I'll be wasting my time if I scout much earlier

Public ground turkeys often get call shy after 1st season. My 4th season strategy is about 90% run and gun. I killed a fall turkey last year run and gun in a marginal public land area. The turkeys there acted like they hadn't seen humans before (I doubt anyone had ever hunted them).

If you are going 2nd or 3rd season, consider starting your hunt around 9 AM. Toms are usually henned up early, but by mid-morning hens are on the nest and toms are on the move again looking for love.

If you want to run any specific scouting ideas past me, feel free to send me a PM

Thanks for the info. I lived in Montana for 14 years before moving back to iowa (I grew up in Ames), and I'm use to covering a lot of ground. I definitely don't mind walking 1/2 mile or more from the roads. I'll send you a PM- thanks!. I went out the other day to check out a spot, but the Des Moines river flooding had it covered in water.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back