Tuna - San Diego

colo_junk

I've got a buddy who lives out in California who wants to go Tuna fishing out of San Diego. Never been and don't necessarily know what I'm getting into. Looks like there are options in duration and location and charter vs party boats. Was wondering if any of you have been who might be willing to share your experiences. Thanks in advance.

We have fished primarily for tuna several times in the gulf of Mexico out of Louisiana. I have done both day and overnight trips and we have had the best luck at night around oil rigs. I know there are some rigs in the pacific but I don't know where they are at. I would do a charter if its in the budget but get four or five guys to go to help defray the costs. I have taken my wife and kids on a couple of occasions on day charters and they enjoyed it for a couple of hours and I enjoyed catching the balance of their limits.

I had a buddy do either a 2 or 3 day trip last year and he said it was an absolute riot. It’s very high on my list of things to do.
Those multiday trips do not seem cheap or at least the ones I've been able to find

I went out on a Party Boat many, many years ago and had a BLAST! I 'only' caught two in the 30-ish# range, but it took me over 30 minutes each to bring them to boat, on a 50# rig. Next time out, NADA. Thus is fishing as apposed to catching. Good fishing, Calm seas, and Fair winds to you & yours. The FUN is the going & trying............

I went last August with 6 buddies on an over night. There were 22 guys on the boat with a captain and 2 crew. It was fun but I'm not sure I will do it again for a few years. We all got a few 20-30 pound yellow tails. The crew of our boat were nicknamed "boat carnies" What was interesting was reading the catch numbers from our trip on the website. 20-30 extra fish were added to the total to make it look better.

We took the filet fished to my buddy's shop and vac sealed them and put them in a freezer. From there, we put them in cheap coolers to fly home and it worked great.

We each rented a rod/reel on the boat. I would not buy lures and gear for the trip, just use what is on the boat.

Get your bait as far away from the boat as possible and put on a fresh minnow each time you reel in. Next time, I will also sneak a bottle on board to make a few mix drinks.

It was fun trip and a great time turning 40 with my buddies from grade school.

I grew up in that industry, fished it all my life. The last 6 years there has been a seismic shift in that fishery. It’s become very focused on “big fish” fishing, which is very very very technique and gear specific. Did I mention it’s technique and gear specific?

Much of the industry is focused on those 125-300 pound bluefin tuna. 5% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish. And a 100# plus tuna requires you to have all the right (expensive!) gear / tactics.

It is totally still totally possible, however, for an average guy to go out and catch some fish - smaller tuna, yellowtail, etc. - you just have to know the right boat for you.

Shoot me a PM and I’ll help you guys out.

We have fished primarily for tuna several times in the gulf of Mexico out of Louisiana. I have done both day and overnight trips and we have had the best luck at night around oil rigs. I know there are some rigs in the pacific but I don't know where they are at. I would do a charter if its in the budget but get four or five guys to go to help defray the costs. I have taken my wife and kids on a couple of occasions on day charters and they enjoyed it for a couple of hours and I enjoyed catching the balance of their limits.

They don't focus on rigs in the Pacific, there just aren't very many of them, instead they go for structure like seamounts, islands, and thermal gradients. When I lived out there the long-range overnight boats out of SoCal always seemed to do the best for tuna and they would do 4-5 day trips down toward Baja and way out off the coast. We did do a run for albacore on a small private boat out of Morro Bay once, which was absolutely killer. It was slow trolling until we found a school and then absolutely lights out, constant fish on for the next few hours. I think I went home with a dozen 20lb+ fish and my arms were toast.

Appreciate all the replies. I'm leaning more toward a charter depending on how many guys we can get to defray the costs. Course even if we were to get more guys, I think a charter cost would limit our trip to non overnight ventures as the costs I'm seeing for chartered overnight boats are a little outside of my price range even though it seems, based on what you guys have experienced, an overnight might be better

Few friends and I chartered a three day tuna hunt in the Sea of Cortez. Back when drinking equated to breathing, young and dumb days.
We had a blast! As for California, I never targeted tuna though I recall a, "Big Brother" used to take a friend and I to some barge off the coast forthe night. Mackerel mania! Then, my buddy hooked a 20# tuna! We caught a few other odd and ends though barge fishing was a blast!

Best to you and your endeavor for tuna! We expect pics and a great fish story! Remember to hold the fish out towards the camera! ;)

Few friends and I chartered a three day tuna hunt in the Sea of Cortez. Back when drinking equated to breathing, young and dumb days.
We had a blast! As for California, I never targeted tuna though I recall a, "Big Brother" used to take a friend and I to some barge off the coast forthe night. Mackerel mania! Then, my buddy hooked a 20# tuna! We caught a few other odd and ends though barge fishing was a blast!

Best to you and your endeavor for tuna! We expect pics and a great fish story! Remember to hold the fish out towards the camera! ;)
The plan is for a September trip so you might be waiting awhile for my story. And thankfully I'll have friends with me who care more about taking pictures than I do so there might be some memories to share

If you have never fished Southern California I would suggest jumping on a 3/4 day open party boat first. Out of San Diego.
Pt Loma Sportfishing or H&M in San Diego Bay or Seaforth in Mission Bay. All three landings 3/4 day boats are owner operated and fish killers. The competition is immense. I’ve watched hundreds of folks spend their entire trip hanging on the rail. Watched 1000’s puke. Better to find out on a 1/2 or 3/4 day than for 1 1/2 or two days straight.
They want you to catch fish! Listen to them and if the fish bite you will or don’t and take your chances, Seriously.
If you want any more information shoot me a DM. I’ll get way more specific.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back