Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

TSP investments and strategies

I know it depends on your investments, but do you think you could withdraw 4% from TSP per year in retirement and maintain what you have?
I’m forced out in two years, so giving things a close look.

That depends on a lot of things, how long you expect to live, where you have your money parked, how the markets do, if you take a partial lump sum when you retire, so tough to know.

I would guess 3-4% MAY be reasonable...to maintain your balance.

The answer is always “when do you plan on leaving?” 4% with zero return means you get the same amount for 25yrs. Ideally you drop dead after you spend the last $.

If I had 100,000.00 in the account right now how would I allocate in knowing my 15 years from retirement, Think that I would develot my own buisness. What I am doing right now. During the world quarantine, I don't waste my time. I earn money using a online service. Just imagine that you get paid to play games, pass surveys or even viewing websites. Think that nowadays it is a very valuable chance for all of us. We shouldn't dream, we should work.

Last edited:
I have mine 100% in the L2050 with 10-13 years to retirement. May look to less risk at about 2 yrs to go.

You may have received an email regarding your TSP account. Often my email fills with too much garbage however this one may hold interesting options.
Govexec put out this article a day or two ago. Figured worth sharing here.

Hey guys bringing this one back out of the box. So 2020 wasn't all that great to me on tsp gains. Didn't lose but sure didn't make near what I should have. Basically I got caught up in the March drop and it took until summer to get back where I was so I wouldn't lock in my drop in March. Once I was back I jumped over to G. Well we all now know what happened great gains. I decided to jump back 50S 50C in December and did okay. Jumped back to G last week after the nice gains and record highs.
Just wondering what everyone's outlook may be in the future this year. I am really nervous about a large correction but I'm no financial advisor by any means and know just enough to get me in trouble. Any plans or strategies out there anyone is willing to talk about. I always try to take several sites,articles and anything else in before I leap. I am starting to think my buddy is right on the "set it and forget it". I have 11 years in and plan on working in my 20 and hanging it up if all goes well.

Hey guys bringing this one back out of the box. So 2020 wasn't all that great to me on tsp gains. Didn't lose but sure didn't make near what I should have. Basically I got caught up in the March drop and it took until summer to get back where I was so I wouldn't lock in my drop in March. Once I was back I jumped over to G. Well we all now know what happened great gains. I decided to jump back 50S 50C in December and did okay. Jumped back to G last week after the nice gains and record highs.
Just wondering what everyone's outlook may be in the future this year. I am really nervous about a large correction but I'm no financial advisor by any means and know just enough to get me in trouble. Any plans or strategies out there anyone is willing to talk about. I always try to take several sites,articles and anything else in before I leap. I am starting to think my buddy is right on the "set it and forget it". I have 11 years in and plan on working in my 20 and hanging it up if all goes well.
This is just my theory. I think we are due for an economic downturn unfortunately. I am not sure if it will be a market correction or a flat out recession unfortunately.

If yer in the TSP for more than 5 years yet, I would not do much except maintain the course and invest for the long term. In depressions they teach you to buy when the price is down and sell when it is up.

I don't think there is cause for a huge panic just yet. Wait and see what the new administration does. I think though, somewhere down the line we are all going to pay for the deficit spending going on.

I made a few moves early on and looking pretty good over my 2020 first quarter balance. If I had been smarter I would have moved things into G earlier to prevent an early loss...my bad on that one for thinking Rona would just be a hiccup.

In 2019 I heavily invested in primers and powder so I suppose I could be an a**hole and practically double down my TSP balance with a few price gouging sales

Dumped my International in 2019, glad. 50/50 S and C.

I believe 2020 was 18.3% for C and 31.8 for S.

I am about 6 years out, so should reevaluate in a couple years.

I don't think there is cause for a huge panic just yet. Wait and see what the new administration does. I think though, somewhere down the line we are all going to pay for the deficit spending going on.
I couldn't agree more I believe the question is not if but when. I'm still kinda in shock with all the covid problems that we are still seeing these gains. The S fund has been crazy and many professionals don't see it slowing anytime soon. I think the stimulus has kept it propped up myself and eventually like you say we all gotta pay for all this spending the government is doing. Hopefully we don't see a large depression period.

Dumped my International in 2019, glad. 50/50 S and C.

I believe 2020 was 18.3% for C and 31.8 for S.

I am about 6 years out, so should reevaluate in a couple years.
I've been playing a little more timing strategy lately which is probably a bad idea. I was 65S/35C before jumping to G a little to early a week ago but still can't complain up about 5% ytd. Just thought I'd let some dust settle and catch a nice drop back in soon when the market learns more about the next administrations plan to tackle our issues.
I really wish we had more resources to help manage tsp. Some agencies teach employees nothing about it while others have some trainings.

I’ve been parked in G for a while now, seeing it up 20 a share since I jumped ship is a little heart breaking. Now I’m just waiting for the reset to put it back in.

C fund would be my choice and maybe move to G a couple years before retirement.

I’m about 60/20/20 on the C/S/I. G fund is great but if you’re in the military (especially on top 3 and not the new retirement) then your pension should provide the security you need to go heavy on equities. The G fund is great in theory but does nothing if the interest rate is almost nothing. The lifecycle funds are a simple way to do it, but even if I was retiring tomorrow I would put it into the 2050 fund. I just see no reason to have a substantial amount in bonds unless you expect to have to pull it all out in the next couple of years, like if you’re “retiring” and want to use it to start a business.

If you have an IRA or brokerage account that makes up the lion’s share of your total portfolio and want to use the TSP for fixed rate diversification because of the advantages in the G Fund over other ways of investing in government backed bonds, I could see it being beneficial.

Whatever you do though, I don’t recommend trying to time the market. You’ll almost always get it backwards! The only “timing” I do is to increase my allocation when the market is down. My TSP is automatic and goes in every month whether the market is up or down, but I also tend to let money build up in a savings that I move into a brokerage and put into the market when I see something that looks attractive. When the market goes down, a whole lot more things start to look attractive. This past March I went from about 85% invested to 95% invested, I think. Once it’s in, I’ve never moved it back out into cash because I thought the whole market was going down.

anyone with the federal government invested in the TSP funds, any insite as to what to do were to go with investments right now, if you had 100,000.00 in the account right now how would you allocate in knowing your 15 years from retirement
Why not leave it in TSP? Nothing wrong with 10-15% gains regularly.

weres the 10 15 percent this last 6 months, weres the best area in tsp to park money right now for the next few months,, g s i. are all loosing daily it looks to me,,,,,,

whats the best strategy if your not paying into tsp monthly anymore, managing whats in there for best return,,,,,

4% with zero return means you get the same amount for 25yrs.
With inflation that is not really how it works for a retiree. But as Buzz mentioned, 3-4% should allow inflation-adjusted withdrawals throughout retirement without depletion. Assuming properly balanced investments and historical returns.

I placed my TSP into an L 2035.

Basically, it diversifies G, F, C, S, and I Funds with quarterly adjustments. Risk / reward based on anticipated TSP Retirement.

Tired of the various website TSP help guides when opting when/where to place funds @ what %...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back