Trying to save my knee. Kinespring Implant coming up!

I will definitely follow up with progress reports as time goes on. I would expect there are probably more serious hunters who could benefit from this procedure than almost any other group of people. We demand a lot out of our bodies!

So far I am 4 days out from surgery and can do prescribed exercises and walk without crutches with barely a limp. The knee is still swollen and sore but improving and overall I would say it hurts less than I expected. Knock on wood! :)

23 day report...

Things were going along reasonably well in that I was making steady albeit slow progress until my three week anniversary. I simultaneously developed a fever and some intense knee pain about 5:00 PM Thursday and ended up on a 2:00 AM run two hours to the emergency room of the hospital I got the implant. Looks like I developed an infection and have been on antibiotics since. Headed back to Dr. on Monday to ascertain if it is skin deep or more serious and if they need to operate to correct the problem.

Unfortunate setback that for sure but the nix on a possible mid January Coues deer hunt in Arizona but of course that is the least of my worries right now. I just want this thing to work and am determined to do what I have to do to make that happen. The staff that I am dealing with is top notch and I have faith in them!

Hope the infection thing can be quickly resolved. That "shock absorber" looks really wild. Pray you the recovery and rehabilitation progresses well.

Joe, hope they get the infection taken care of. On the 22nd I'm going in for full knee replacement and th e only fear I have is infection.

Thanks Dave and oldillini!

Good luck to you Dave! I wouldn't sweat it too much, from what I am reading it is very rare (1-3 % chance) to get an infection. I'm just lucky that way. :rolleyes:

I wish the VA was that progressive in it's thinking and treatment. I have a medial meniscus tear, plus osteoarthritis and the best they will do for me is PT and a brace and cane. It's so frustrating being in pain with every step you take.

I wish the VA was that progressive in it's thinking and treatment. I have a medial meniscus tear, plus osteoarthritis and the best they will do for me is PT and a brace and cane. It's so frustrating being in pain with every step you take.

John, this is still in the trial process and not available for anyone as a general treatment. They hope to get approval to go mainstream in the US, that's the point of the trial. I'm laying here suffering so that you may do the same some day. :) It's going to work but I guess no good things come easy.

Well I am just past 7 weeks and steadily moving in the right direction. Staph infection seems to be gone and strength is improving. I'm not ready to say I am 100% sold on the Kinespring but I am starting to feel optimistic I could feel that way in a few months.

I got out for a couple mile hike today and had some last day success on a lone ruffed grouse.

Next up, spring bear with the bow or possibly a late winter cougar hunt over in the desert.....

I got a PM today asking how my recovery is going so I thought I should update this in case anybody else is looking into the procedure.

About a week after my last update I developed another fever and ended up having a third surgery to scrub down the spring and clean up the infection better. I was hospitalized for 4 days for IV treatment and ended up coming home with a PIC line in so I could give myself IV antibiotics for a few weeks. I've been on antibiotic pills since with no sign of infection and they expect if I take the antibiotics for 5 more months it will clear it up for good.

The knee is getting a lot stronger and I am gradually getting used to having it in place. The skin around the spring is hyper sensitive but that is fading all the time.

I am right at 4 months and I've been able to get out and bear hunt most of my normal haunts since season opened last week. Granted there has been a a fair amount of soreness around the spring following but I am hunting and feel strong. I've heard that bike riding is the best thing for knee rehab so I bought a new bike to ride around the hills and the beach with. When I got the bike home a month ago I could just barely bend my knee enough to pedal forward but forcing it has torn loose some scar tissue and increased my range of motion. Now I am doing up to 8-10 miles a trip. it's a fun bike! My wife had to get one to match and we have been all over the place on them. I've lost 20 pounds since I had the surgery mainly from diet changes (can't drink beer :eek:) but the recent exercise has helped a lot. Last summer and fall I was not able to get out and go like I normally due and got up to my all time heaviest so something needed to change for sure.

I still have some days when I wonder if I should have gone with the kinespring but as long as the staph stays away I am feeling more and more confident it will serve it's purpose. I have not had any swelling in the knee joint itself since it's been in place no matter how hard I push the knee. The area around the spring hurts like hell at times and it sounds like it takes up to a year to get past that but if it works it's worth it.

Have a good friend who underwent the pic line antibiotic regimen following post arthroscopic infection. Serious stuff indeed, glad to hear you're doing ok.

That's a radical looking bike Joe.

Good luck with new knee!!
I had both knees scoped 10-15yrs ago and it has worked out great for me.
I know not to do the things I used too,and stay aware of where and how I go about things now...

Nice! I'll be enjoying some of that when I get off these dang antibiotics. :)

Good luck with new knee!!
I had both knees scoped 10-15yrs ago and it has worked out great for me.
I know not to do the things I used too,and stay aware of where and how I go about things now...

Not a whole new knee just an addition of a kinespring. Hopefully it keeps me from getting a new one....

Wow, my neighbor had a total knee replacement and complained about pain for months before an infection was detected. She had to have it replaced again! Good luck!

I hope it all works out for you! Last Tuesday I knelt down and when I stood up I couldn't straighten out my knee and still cant. I hope I dont have a similar problem to what you had.

Back