Trudeau Puts Freeze On Handguns

Difference in a more direct system - in the Westminster system the government and opposition can introduce bills (two-house system, House of Commons and Senate), and Trudeau is the PM, which means in terms of role he is more like the role played by the speaker of the house + Secretary of <> in the US than he is like the President. The senate in such systems rarely influences policy - meaning if the commons (in this case Trudeau) have a majority, they can legislate at will. Can also that the PM is replaced without an election because of the party, but that is another story.

I’m afraid this might give the anti gun movement here a boost too.

Or, maybe..

Maybe it will boost us to fight that movement here harder than ever.
Probably will. Some of this was brought on by the shooting in Texas. They seem to search for things to further their agenda and turn a blind eye to the facts that don’t suppose to their agenda

Won’t pass with this minority government, The NDP can’t afford to lose their rural seats. If their was a way that the Canadian news cycle and social media would block out the 4+ mass shootings a day happening in the states. We wouldn’t be having conversations like this

Won’t pass with this minority government, The NDP can’t afford to lose their rural seats. If their was a way that the Canadian news cycle and social media would block out the 4+ mass shootings a day happening in the states. We wouldn’t be having conversations like this
Since I’ve been on here, you’ve spewed you’re little comments against America on an American website, to 80% American users. If you’re that disgusted with America, find your backbone and don’t spend time on here with Americans on an American founded site.

It’s already a dark time, no need to vomit your political words. Keep it to yourself.

So it’s Americas fault that the Canadian Prime Minister wants to ban guns… SMFH

First of all, anyone who pays attention to any news on Twitter needs their head examined. This is a proposal that's been "tabled." As I read it, it will allow communities to make their own decisions on banning handguns. Trudeau makes no secret that a complete ban is his end agenda but this ain't it. The above poster is correct. Every time there's some mass shooting incident anywhere, this government thinks it has to do something ... anything. Feel good shooting from the hip nonsense. Unfortunately, the mass shooting capital of the world is on our doorstep, so yes it trickles down and messes up our lives up here. I'm not happy about it.

Boomer, I am a Canadian and a disabled American veteran. If you don't like what I have to say, don't let the door hit YOU in the arse.

Maybe i'm blind, but I just dont see much focus on the shooters motives. I find it hard to believe that there is nobody trying to figure out why these people are inflecting these horrific acts, where is the news covering that?

Its always about the guns.
Right. I'm waiting for that too. Where did that kid in Texas get the money to buy TWO of those ARs on his 18th birthday? That's gotta be over $3K! Has he been mowing lawns since he was wearing diapers?

A couple things.

IMO a poster from anywhere should feel free to comment on every issue on the board. After all, this very thread is an American complaining about what Canada might do regarding gun laws. So, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Some times a little distance lets someone see the forest from the trees.

A person's motive, at the end of the day, is IRRELEVANT concerning stopping the next event from happening. It is the actual act that needs to be studied in an effort to make them less common or make them less deadly when a shooting takes place.

Right. I'm waiting for that too. Where did that kid in Texas get the money to buy TWO of those ARs on his 18th birthday? That's gotta be over $3K! Has he been mowing lawns since he was wearing diapers?

who knows. but anyone with a beating heart can get a credit card anymore, probably already had one his guardian signed for, or it wasn't his money.

i'm anti gun control as much as the next guy. but something's gotta change. and i'm conflicted about how i'm starting to feel about what needs to chage. all i know is the answer isn't turning k-12 schools into guarded compounds.

might as well pre lock this thread.

A couple things.

IMO a poster from anywhere should feel free to comment on every issue on the board. After all, this very thread is an American complaining about what Canada might do regarding gun laws. So, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Some times a little distance lets someone see the forest from the trees.

A person's motive, at the end of the day, is IRRELEVANT concerning stopping the next event from happening. It is the actual act that needs to be studied in an effort to make them less common or make them less deadly when a shooting takes place.

I dont think I'm following.

How is the motive not relevant? It seems important to understand what would push someone to the point where committing an act of violence to that level seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Seems like understanding the root cause of where these peoples heads are at can help in developing a solution.

We might be thinking the same thing but in a different way.

I found this on another site. It makes a person wonder how another law would help. I believe from personal experience that the Feds have always just would pick and choose what they will enforce when it comes to gun laws and other laws. The riots around the country is a good example. Just food for thought I'm sure some may agree and some will not.
1654010892195.png

Largely, the school shooters are young men who have been bullied for much of their life. They come from a chaotic home life and have a miserable time while in school. They are essentially committing suicide and taking as many others as possible with them. They aren't trying to get away with the crime.

Knowing that does nothing from stopping the next shooting. There are ongoing anti bullying programs. It is difficult to measure any success from them. How could we know the ones where someone was helped to a better outcome?

One of the greatest blessings we have is how open our society is. It bothers me greatly that some want to lockdown schools so tightly that the sense of an open society is lost.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back