Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Truck saw.

Ive always thrown in my little ms170 when needed. But my brother has the 36v Makita saw and it is amazing! If I was going to buy a little saw today that one would be high on the list.

Reactions: Hem
I have an MS 251 and it comes along whenever I go into the backcountry. Both for clearing and then firewood cutting once in camp. I love my saw so far.......a sharp chain (as mentioned above) and it punches way above its weight class.

Depends on the trip but usually don’t bring gas saws on hunting trips because of the leaking bar oil. The saw that never leaves the truck is the silky katanaboy 650

Depends on the trip but usually don’t bring gas saws on hunting trips because of the leaking bar oil. The saw that never leaves the truck is the silky katanaboy 650
I’ve wondered about that thing for years. Always seemed like it wouldn’t work that well but sure seems like quite a few people like them.

I have a DeWalt battery powered Sawzall type with a few different blades. I’ve used it on animals, as well as fixing fences, bushes, etc. Not as good as a chainsaw for trees but with the long blade it works better than you might think.

Oldie, just keeps on runnin, stihl021. Last year was an eye opener. We (wife & I), hunted 3rd r, southwest CO, our first trip with the UTV. The road in to where we were hunting got blocked with a pick-up, sideways, with a nasty ravine on either side. He and his son walked out, 6mi. We decided the only way out for us was to keep going as we did see one jeep come through that way. We basically followed that track and were surprised at all the clearing that appeared to have been done recently as pine logs/bows were on top of the snow. Luckily they had saws, we didn't.
On the list✔

Several of last seasons "Alone" contestants used this saw. Pretty sure Clay Hayse was one of the users. Eye opening versatility. Mind blowing price at way over 2 Benjamins.

I have a Stihl MS 251 and a Stihl electric in tt same class. I don't remember the model# but it's their top of the line electric with the "are you kidding me" price battery. Saw and battery were $700.00+. It's handy and convenient but a bit spendy.

If I recall, you’re an arborist, yeah? Any less spendy but similar alternatives to these that you’d recommend for the layman?
You get what you pay for. I have taken it into the back country and cut stacks of firewood. It is a workout but gets the job done quickly. A chainsaw is definitely more efficient though and if you can’t expense it like I did it is a hard pill to swallow. I will likely be buying my first battery powered saw this year for my business and will likely bring that along. My go to ground chainsaw is a husky 562. I use smaller top handle saws in the tree and have brought them in the truck but if I’m going to bring a saw for ground work I want something with a lot more power.

At the end of the day as long as your saw starts and you have a sharp chain (and don’t hit the dirt) any chainsaw will do the job of a truck saw.

For a truck saw I think the battery powered Milwaukee saws are tough to beat. No worries about carrying gas, gas smell or not starting when you are in a hurry. They are very light and work great. For alot of cutting gas is the way to go.

Held the battery powered stihl but couldn’t do it. I got the MS170

Attachments

• 54AB32EB-9E05-45EC-AACB-4990A8950B1C.jpeg
    54AB32EB-9E05-45EC-AACB-4990A8950B1C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
i got the dual battery makita electric 14" saw,,like it ,but its not for big timber,,itll problably get a tree out of the way if needed..like the other have said,,you still have bar oil to contend with.but i do like the quietness and no gas fumes better if just gathering some quick firewood. i gotta keep the chain sharp though or itll kill the battery on not very many cuts.

i got the dual battery makita electric 14" saw,,like it ,but its not for big timber,,itll problably get a tree out of the way if needed..like the other have said,,you still have bar oil to contend with.but i do like the quietness and no gas fumes better if just gathering some quick firewood. i gotta keep the chain sharp though or itll kill the battery on not very many cuts.
Electric has a long way to go in the chainsaw department. mtmuley

3D05B12B-6D72-43B9-8A65-CDA7C4059C13.jpegED7A959B-69E7-4FBB-AE47-7B36BC48835F.jpeg
I have a number of saws but these two pics represent the far sides of the spectrum. If I had to pick my best do all ground saw, if I could only have one, it would be my husky 562xp with 20” bar.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back