Truck saw.

Scott85

What size saw is everybody keeping in their trucks? I got a farmboss right now and I feel like it’s too big to keep in the truck on trips. Thanks in advance.

So is a chainsaw a prerequisite for being a road hunter? Asking for a friend. :)
If we wouldn’t have had a chainsaw last year after those heavy snows came through CO in September we would have been starting our hike several miles before our intended spot.

I’m thinking about switching to an electric chainsaw. The new batteries should last long enough for what I need to do and no gas spill or smell to worry about.

Last edited:
I drag around a Stihl MS251 but honestly I'm thinking of going electric for a truck saw. This fall I was bouncing around the hills and had a gas can tip over and leak on some gear (nothing important but I had been planning to sleep in the box of my truck and couldn't then. It was totally my fault for not keeping the can in a secure spot but I didn't even use the saw that trip. There's a thread about electric saws somewhere and not have not made a decision on which one yet.

I've never carried a motorized saw but I'm thinking of getting a smallish electric saw to throw in the truck and use for various chores. What size are most people running?

I've never carried a motorized saw but I'm thinking of getting a smallish electric saw to throw in the truck and use for various chores. What size are most people running?
I have the 16 inch Dewalt electric. It stays home and the MS 170 comes along. For what the electric saws cost, you can buy 3 MS 170's. They cut ok, but no way I trust one bouncing around in the truck all of hunting season. mtmuley

If we wouldn’t have had a chainsaw last year after those heavy snows came through CO in September we would have been starting our hike several miles before our intended spot.

I’m thinking about switching to an electric chainsaw. The new batteries should last long enough for what I need to do and no gas spill or smell to worry about.
I watched one of the new Stihl electrics at work this fall. I was impressed.

Something to consider, my dad bought one of the battery powered stihls and even though it doesn’t need gas, it still requires bar and chain oil. And that leaks out when not in use. He took it to the dealer and was told that was normal.

Something to consider, my dad bought one of the battery powered stihls and even though it doesn’t need gas, it still requires bar and chain oil. And that leaks out when not in use. He took it to the dealer and was told that was normal.
My Dewalt leaks some also. The battery saws just don't have the torque and power I like in a chainsaw. Nor the run time. If it wasn't for having to use a chainsaw indoors sometimes, I wouldn't even have it. mtmuley

I keep a small handsaw in the truck. Have a stihl 170 and a huskie 55 for cutting real wood. The 170 goes on hunts and serious back road stuff. I do not drive around with saws in my trucks,daily.
I also highly recommend the Fiskars x27 splitting axe. That and the Gerber,by Fiskars, is what I split all wood with now.

Makita 18v

Won it at a Walleyes Unlimited Banquet

Great chain saw, certainly different than a gas saw, but amazed at how much I can cut on a charge.

A little 12" Ryobi battery powered saw. She ain't pretty, but is a lot easier than a bow saw for everything I have happened across so far...

Back