Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tricks to prevent horn shrinkage

Great point JM77. There is a window a few days after harvest to slip those sheaths right off. Make sure to get that lining out.

Here is the best way to minimize shrinking of antelope horns: asap after skinning, wrap skull plate or cleaned off skull in plastic up 3 or 4 inches on horn. I use masking tape on plastic to get tight seal especially around horns. Leave in warm area for two or three days and horns will slip off cores. Immediately clean skull plate or skull and reset horns with slow set mix of bondo. If you want them measured, this is where the 60 day drying period begins. I wipe the horns down Neet's Foot Oil to help preserve them and make them look good. I don't know, or care, if B&C allows that, as record books are meaningless to me. If you are having it scored, just eliminate the Neet's until after they are measured.

Boiling off horns is the worse thing you can do to them if you are concerned about shrinkage.
always wondered why my tahr horns shrunk
took a young fella out on his first tahr hunt n he shot a 12 1/2 inch bull,,he buried it in the garden where his dogs found it and had a wee chew,,now that really shrunt them

Here is the best way to minimize shrinking of antelope horns: asap after skinning, wrap skull plate or cleaned off skull in plastic up 3 or 4 inches on horn. I use masking tape on plastic to get tight seal especially around horns. Leave in warm area for two or three days and horns will slip off cores. Immediately clean skull plate or skull and reset horns with slow set mix of bondo. If you want them measured, this is where the 60 day drying period begins. I wipe the horns down Neet's Foot Oil to help preserve them and make them look good. I don't know, or care, if B&C allows that, as record books are meaningless to me. If you are having it scored, just eliminate the Neet's until after they are measured.

Boiling off horns is the worse thing you can do to them if you are concerned about shrinkage.
Do you use plastic wrap or a bag?

Great point JM77. There is a window a few days after harvest to slip those sheaths right off. Make sure to get that lining out.
I've never had the core sheath slip off with the horn. It does happen sometimes when boiling.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back