Caribou Gear Tarp

Trekking Poles

Yep, and I use bamboo rods, silk lines and only fish dry flies. I'm the king of elitist.

Not really. I just like that stuff. Especially, old stuff.
That's really cool. I've toyed with getting into flys, just have so many other hobbies and interests at this point.

Those Costco cascade trekking poles held up great during a 10 day Utah mule deer hunt last fall including a few times when I fell, one tip caught a rock, and I thought they must be broke, only to stand up and find they were fine. I’d give them two big thumbs up.

Leki carbon ti. They’re light and tough. My first year I was trudging along with 100+ lbs of antler on my back and I stepped in a hole causing my legs to give out and I snapped a mid section. Called up leki and they mailed me a new mid section for free. Didn’t even need proof of purchase. Stay with flick locks whatever brand you pick. I’ve got at least 400 miles + on mine and they’ve been awesome. Check Sierra trading post. I think I got mine for 80 something dollars.

I purchased 2 pairs of 2012 BD Alpine Carbon Corks on closeout direct from BD in May 2013. Love them, and I’m not close to wearing out the first pair. Cracked one lower section on a sheep hunt in 2014, sent them an email asking if I could purchase a new section, and their reply was “it’s in the mail.”

I also have used the cascade mountains from Costco. Between my wife and I we have 4 pairs. They’ve overall held up great, though I did break off a tip last scouting season. I just removed the rubber end from the broken tip, pushed it onto the end of the broken pole, and extended the last section to align with my other pole. In a couple minutes I was back to trekking.

Just looked those sissy stix up, $130 is steep, IMO.

Looks like you can get the cascades online for $45.

I purchased 2 pairs of 2012 BD Alpine Carbon Corks on closeout direct from BD in May 2013. Love them, and I’m not close to wearing out the first pair. Cracked one lower section on a sheep hunt in 2014, sent them an email asking if I could purchase a new section, and their reply was “it’s in the mail.”

That is not very extreme DIY hardcore of you. Maybe you need to get out more?
IMG_9032.jpg

Started out with the cheaper types. Most didnt last a season.
Spend a little money.
You want clasp type not the screw holder type.
I prefer ones w/ a 'L' handle as I put a lot of weight on them going up and down.
Currently have Komperdell, they have lasted 3 seasons, so I guess I got my $$ worth

I've had many. Recommend the Cascade Mountain if you aren't sure you will like/use poles. If you know you want to utilize poles long-term, go the buy once-cry once Black Diamond Route. I take poles along for basically any hunt or outdoor trek. I bet 80% of my shots on western big game have come off crossed trekking poles (loop the wrist straps to make a soft cradle), and I can't imagine packing out without them.

Along the lines of Black Diamond Corks. They are not cheap and I so was sad mine wore out. However, don’t despair!! If you OCD hike you BD poles to death they sell replacement bottoms and tips for most of their models. A Little boiling water and some redneck interpretations of the directions and walla! New poles! 2F970752-E3F7-4F3B-83F0-A3F668781422.jpeg1DB1D1E5-9B63-43B6-8660-71D23CFF7377.jpeg343654FA-07C2-4D5C-B96E-500F4C582298.jpegD6FD62DC-BACE-4AF9-A0FE-07EE28FE5E73.jpeg2F970752-E3F7-4F3B-83F0-A3F668781422.jpeg343654FA-07C2-4D5C-B96E-500F4C582298.jpeg

I’ve had great luck with black diamond trail back flick locks. They’re only about $60 and last a long time.
Avoid carbon, twist tightening ones, and ones that say ‘Leki’ on them.
I use these as well. Work great, pretty durable- I bent one on a deer hunt, bent it back to mostly straight and it still collapses and expands like before, and it still locks. I picked mine up at REI during a sale for about the same price ($60)

I bought mine at Walmart 3 years ago for $18.88 for the pair. That said...they'er beat up but still working. I haven't bent one yet.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread...I am a heavier guy (which I am trying to fix) and find my black diamonds always get shorter when I lean on them a bit. Looking for a pair that is not going to slip if I have to catch myself or actually lean on them.

Bumping this thread...I am a heavier guy (which I am trying to fix) and find my black diamonds always get shorter when I lean on them a bit. Looking for a pair that is not going to slip if I have to catch myself or actually lean on them.
Are they the flick lock style? If so, you can tighten up the screw on the lock to give more tension. Just a thought.

I'm 260 lbs, well, before Thanksgiving, and my Costco poles never slip, and I don't even have them tightened down all that much. Mine are going on 3 years now without a single issue. Not sure what the advantage to a $150 pair is.

I have black diamonds and they usually come a little loose... they usually just need a little tightening, make sure to tighten when the quick clip is open. Takes a little fine tuning but should get it done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back