Yeti GOBOX Collection

Trekking Poles

Gynaroo

After searching for threads about brands Of trekking poles I’ve come to the conclusion that everyone recommends using trekking poles. But not really gives good examples of brand and model. I understand this could be a Ford/Chevy conversation.

the past three seasons I’ve purchased a new pair of Walmart brand trekking poles. They do their job but, when my pack is heavy or I’m coming downhill and slip I usually catch my self with one of the poles. It of course ends up with a big bend.

So I am hoping you guys/gals have specific recommendations about poles. Ie black Diamond ergo trail pro or leki cork lite. Just want a good pair of poles that aren’t going to bend the first time I stumble. Any help would be appreciated.

I have the black diamond trail ergo cork and really like them. I have also heard great things about sissy sticks but haven’t seen them in person.

I got a pair of the Sissy Stix after Brain Call and Ryan Lampers used them extensively with great results in New Zealand and several other hunts. The ones that Randy used for all those years (11 seasons I think he said) are of similar construction: aluminum lower section, carbon fiber everywhere else, lever locks. I've been really happy with them thus far, code Gritty gets you 15% off.

Last edited:
I got a pair of the Sissy Stix after Brain Call and Ryan Lampers used them extensively with great results in New Zealand and several other hunts. The ones that Randy used for all those years (11 seasons I think he said) are of similar construction: aluminum lower section, carbon fiber everywhere else, lever locks. I've been really happy with them thus far, code Gritty gets you 15% off.
I know Marcus used them at some point this season too.

I picked up a set of Mountainsmith Pinnacles years ago for a big hiking trip. The price was what sold me on them and I've been using them hard ever since. I guarantee there are better ones out there(lighter, stronger, more accessories, better grips, etc.), but they've never failed.

I’ve had great luck with black diamond trail back flick locks. They’re only about $60 and last a long time.
Avoid carbon, twist tightening ones, and ones that say ‘Leki’ on them.

Cascade mtn Would they last 10 days in hell’s canyon? IDK, but currently for skinny rugged deer trails with crunchy layered snow here In Michigan with a waited pack they sure work well, I’m working thru a bum right knee and the poles sure take the edge off. Really wanted to try the sissy but they were out of stock for like ever!!!!

I use Hiker Hunger. All carbon fiber, light, lever locks, and cork handles. Great customer service too if you break them. just order a replacement piece instead of the whole pole.

My current favorites are BD Distance Z and BD Alpine Carbon Cork. BD Trail Backs are good too.

I have the BD Distance Z and really like them. Super light and fold up small in my pack when not in use, they’re also strong and not too much money.

OP, just make sure you use the size chart to get your proper size. Trekking poles that are too short are really annoying.

I use Leki ultra legacy. I prefer aluminum as it flexes more than carbon

I had been using a cheap set of aluminum Salomon poles for over a decade and they worked just fine. Last year I picked up a set of Cascade Mountain Tech poles. Now I am not going to blather on about how awesome or fantastic a "pole" is. Really? It's just a pole. Man has been using hiking stick since the beginning of time. A stick will do if you just need support. On that note, after over a decade of using an aluminum set of trekking poles I used my carbon fiber Cascades last season all season from early scouting to packing out a mule deer and an elk in Sept. They worked great! First thing I noticed was how much lighter the carbon poles are on my arms after long days of tracking through the Cascades here in Washington and was pleasantly surprised at how my arms felt (who would have thought)??? Maybe I am just getting old and my arms are getting wimpy? :unsure: As a matter of the actually working parts of the poles I like the cam locks but was very skeptical. They worked just fine! On that note.... For a cheaper set of carbon poles the Cascade Mountain Tech's lack an index groove which isn't that big of a deal but it is annoying. When you adjust the poles the cam locks twist around and don't line up without some attention....For as much as I adjust them this is really no big deal. Just adjust them, making sure they line up and be done. If you consistently use your trekking poles for setting up camp or a shelter on a regular bases this could get a bit annoying?? I was also a bit skeptical about the cork handles. Surprised again! :oops: Easy on the hands. Remember this is coming from a guy who has been using the same trekking poles for a wrinkly amount of time. In the end I would say the Cascade Mountain Tech's are exactly what most of us hunters are looking for in good gear. They meet one major standard that we all look for. "Bang for the buck"! No need to go out and spend $90.00-$200.00 on a set of trekking poles. I like em. my .02🤟

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back