Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tree Trunks

EliAGrimmett

I've posted a few photos of this buck before, but the boards have been kinda slow since antelope season is over, and I thought this photo made the buck's horns look stupid big!

09_08_Diamond_001-2.jpg

We use Face to mean the length of the face from the front edge of the eye to the tip of the nose.

We use Chest to mean from the top of the shoulder to the bottom of the sternum in a straight line - basically the measurement you would use to gauge distance in a rifle scope.

That's an awesome buck! Since I am a terrible field judge of antelope I was wondering do you mostly use ear length to judge or face length? I would guess this guy is around 14". I would assume the eye measurment is for mass? Thanks for this post and help on this subject, I have really started to enjoy hunting antelope.

That picture makes me want to puke.

I was going to send you some video of a buck and see what you think, but I think I'll pass. When they are big, you know it.

hardscabble: We use the ear, face, eye, chest, and eye to eye measurements to judge them. We really don't prefer one over the other as we try to create an overall picture based on all of the features although the eye measurement usually varies the least from state to state.

As for the length measurement on this particular buck - he's just a bit over 16-inches long.

Oak: You don't "always" know they're big! ;) This particular buck we didn't even decide to shoot until the very last minute because we were unsure of the face, ear, body size, etc. for this particular area and because the buck looked really short from several views (like hardscrabble figured).

Send me some photos of the buck you're talking about! I'd love to see them.

You've got me very curious on what he tapes now...

Oh man, I was way off :eek:. Instead of me giving out horrible guesses, what did this guy have for mass measurments? I am really curious about using the eye to judge mass. Thanks for the insight.

I think this bucks 60 day drying period is up so he should be getting officially scored soon! Once we have those measurement I'll post them up here for you guys.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back