PEAX Equipment

Tree Stand Safety

Griztrax

I purchased my first hang on tree stand recently and got it put up this last weekend. When in the stand, I found that I did not feel 100% comfortable with just the safety rope attached to the "top" of my safety harness (positioned above my head on the tree). I know it would catch me if I fell but I still didn't like the feeling so I went ahead and attached my linemans belt that I used while installing the stand, to the tree behind me. I found this to be extremely comfortable and it gave me 100% confidence that I wasn't falling anywhere. It also allowed me to lean away from the tree slightly to make sure i could draw my bow cleanly without hitting the tree behind me. My question for all you tree stand hunters is what am I missing if anything? Is there something inherently dangerous about also using the linemans belt while in the stand in addition to the safety rope up higher? I'm trying not to learn the hard way so-to-speak. Thanks for your input!

I purchased my first hang on tree stand recently and got it put up this last weekend. When in the stand, I found that I did not feel 100% comfortable with just the safety rope attached to the "top" of my safety harness (positioned above my head on the tree). I know it would catch me if I fell but I still didn't like the feeling so I went ahead and attached my linemans belt that I used while installing the stand, to the tree behind me. I found this to be extremely comfortable and it gave me 100% confidence that I wasn't falling anywhere. It also allowed me to lean away from the tree slightly to make sure i could draw my bow cleanly without hitting the tree behind me. My question for all you tree stand hunters is what am I missing if anything? Is there something inherently dangerous about also using the linemans belt while in the stand in addition to the safety rope up higher? I'm trying not to learn the hard way so-to-speak. Thanks for your input!
for me, once I'm set up I feel confident. I hate hanging the stand the most so I switched to one that's far safer while hanging.

But back to your question, how high up is your normal safety line? It should be taught while seated in the seat. That will reduce the distance in the event of a fall.

Only issue I see with using the line man's is just getting tangled up in multiple safety devices and having a fall as a result of that.

Just a couple of thoughts

Lots of falls occur while climbing and getting in and out of the stand. Could add one of the safety lines that you hook onto before leaving the ground. Just a thought

Gotta be honest. I don't use a tree stand because I do not think they are as safe as a tree saddle. If you are comfortable leaning away from a tree stand, then give saddle hunting a look. You can fall out of your stand, but you cannot fall out of a saddle. That said as a veteran climber, I can say the following.

I would not combine the linesman's belt and the harness in a hunting situation for the sake of not getting things tangled up. One line always on is better than a bunch that get you confused (or outright trip you). That comes with the rule that you NEVER don't have your linesman belt or a self rescue system not on your person. You need to be able to get out if you do fall. Suspension trauma is a real thing, and it can be avoided with something as simple as some paracord and a carabiner in your pocket.

Put your safety line high. So if you do fall, you will be in range of your stand. Again, self rescue. Always think about recovery, and keeping yourself attached to the tree and you will be safe. That's why I like a saddle, you are connected to the tree from boots off the ground, all the way to boots back on again.

hang your stand on a tree about two feet off the ground. Hook up your harness on and attach to the tree above your head or at forehead level like you would if you were 15’ up. Physically make yourself fall off of your stand. See how far you fall and how easy or hard it is to get back into your stand. It may boost your confidence a bit.

I switched to a rock climbing harness bc I didn’t like having the rope near my head/neck area and it got in my way sometimes when I drew my bow, but to each his own.

I have never understood why a belt wouldn't suffice, as long as you only keep like two feet of slack in it. Way better than a harness that would let you fall four feet or so.

The safety harness without the lineman’s belt is plenty sufficient. But IMO if you need the belt added to make you feel comfortable I see no reason not to as long as you make it work for you. Most of the feeling of not being comfortable with just the harness is just lack of experience. The more you do it, it will become second nature. Then again when you get too comfortable short cuts are made and mistakes happen. The biggest thing here is you’re obviously making large efforts to stay safe. It only took a 12 foot fall (not from a tree stand) to break my back one time and I don’t recommend it!

Great discussions guys - thanks for your input! I do think with experience that it will become second nature as mentioned above but until then I think I will stick with the added security of the belt at waist level. Safety is absolutely my biggest concern as I will be using it as well as my adult children and none of us wants to take a fall. Second concern is a huge mountain lion I got on trail camera just a couple days after hanging the stand. LOL. Well that and the enormous black bear scat that's in the area. Wouldn't be too excited about either of those critters joining me in the stand. Thanks again!

I feel safest using my ascender rope. Hanging sticks, hanging stands. I dont trust much when I leave the ground. There is almost always 2 things attached to the tree to keep me out of a wheel chair. If there is only 1 it is big enough to guarantee it doesn't fail.

Install a safety line, best piece of mind you can have, never leave the ground without being clipped in.
I install everything using a linesman rope; tree steps, stand, safety line.
Installing the safety line high enough to take out slack is key to allow feeling safe as well as something to lean against to get around the tree for a shot if need be.
I usually pick up multi packs of the safety lines when they are on sale as we run a few different stands.

I bought a web body harness that actually encompassed my full upper body: straps around the upper thighs, waist, chest and shoulders. $20 if I remember correctly. It attached to the tree with a strong clip-on strap, set high mid-back & and just enough lee way to move however I needed, if I secured it to the tree right behind my neck. If I ever fell it would only be about 18" drop, but that would still be a Rude awakening.

An issue you may have with a linemans belt I think they only go around your waist
If it slips up higher when or if you fall and compresses your diaphram you wont beable to breathe a saftey harness goes around your leggs to hold your weight
if nervous already and you do slip their may be a panic issue getting your feet back under yourself and not being able to breathe could add to that
I use a saftey rope around a tree with a dead mans knott that slides up and down unless pressure on it so when I stand I adjust it and same as I sit

An issue you may have with a linemans belt I think they only go around your waist
If it slips up higher when or if you fall and compresses your diaphram you wont beable to breathe a saftey harness goes around your leggs to hold your weight
if nervous already and you do slip their may be a panic issue getting your feet back under yourself and not being able to breathe could add to that
I use a saftey rope around a tree with a dead mans knott that slides up and down unless pressure on it so when I stand I adjust it and same as I sit
Great thoughts. The stand I bought came with a safety rope and dead mans knot that I will be attaching before I start climbing and will be attached the entire time I am in the tree. The stand I bought also came with a full-body safety harness and the linemen's belt (included with purchase) attaches to the harness right at the waist so it can't slide up or down on your torso. The belt that goes around the tree has a sturdy branch below it so it can't slide down either. Thanks for your thoughts and everyone who has chimed in so far - I have a lot to learn about tree stand hunting and staying safe while doing so.

Great thoughts. The stand I bought came with a safety rope and dead mans knot that I will be attaching before I start climbing and will be attached the entire time I am in the tree. The stand I bought also came with a full-body safety harness and the linemen's belt (included with purchase) attaches to the harness right at the waist so it can't slide up or down on your torso. The belt that goes around the tree has a sturdy branch below it so it can't slide down either. Thanks for your thoughts and everyone who has chimed in so far - I have a lot to learn about tree stand hunting and staying safe while doing so.
OK sounds like a good set up the linemans belt that came with your harness is also to help in hanging the stand so you can be safe and lean back when attaching to tree
Here in Pa we are all hanging on the side of a tree come deer season good luck an be safe

No safety line should have a knot named a Deadman’s knot. What marketing idiot came up with that one, lol. I’m now thinking about getting another tree stand and think the full body harness is hat should be used once in the stand. I do see the benefit of a lineman’s belt on the ascent/decent.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back