Caribou Gear Tarp

Trail Camera Owners

Yep second year using mine. First year had one camera, this past year 5. Almost as much fun as hunting.

Haven't seen this one in person yet...

Attachments

• PICT2404.jpg
    PICT2404.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,289
  • PICT2405.jpg
    PICT2405.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,288
Bart, buy them if your worried about theft. But as far as bears, I would only worry if you were using them on bear bait. I made a couple when I had a bear tag because they kept tearing them off the tree. Not the end of the world, I just had pictures of the snout and then a bunch of the sky. I put one on my storage shed on my hunting land way up high in a lock box. Many of thieves have been busted this way.

Used em for the first time this year Bart....hooked.

Me too - what a hoot! Here's what I learned in year 1...

Make sure you use high quality batteries - I recommend lithium - and use the full number of them that it will hold. Mine is a Simmons ProHunter 7MP (made by Bushnell, I think) and I really liked it. It holds up to 8 but requires only 4, so I put 4 in to save on expenses b/c I didn't know how much success I'd have with it. Unfortunately, a bull bit it and jostled it enough that one battery became dislodged (see below) and shut the camera down for weeks. I missed out on some real important details in that time. Wouldn't have happened with a full complement of batteries.

Use a good sized SD card. There's not much price difference (you can find them cheap online) and you don't want to miss good stuff b/c of a filled card.

Wiping down with scent eliminator 'might' help the biting issue. But the elk I got pictures of heard or saw something that attracted them. Way too many pics of nostrils and spooked eyes to think otherwise. Once I realized the issue, I positioned with a short branch right below the camera and it kept poking noses away.

Try it out before you want to hang it in the woods. Then try it for a short time in a few different places so you can see what's working and what's not.

Locking them up to keep 2 legged predators off them won't hurt, but if someone's business is going out to steal trail cams, they'll get yours with or without a python lock or metal box.

Have fun!!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I finally have been tinkering with the camera here in the yard. It took a couple nights to get it set up right. I have some local deer hitting the yard and I've been catching butts until last night. Here are a couple from last night. My first trophy buck as well :D I've noticed that I still need to tilt it down lower but man it's fun. The kids wake up and want to go get it and see what we caught that night.

trailcam.jpg

trailcam2 (2).jpg

I finally have been tinkering with the camera here in the yard. It took a couple nights to get it set up right. I have some local deer hitting the yard and I've been catching butts until last night. Here are a couple from last night. My first trophy buck as well :D I've noticed that I still need to tilt it down lower but man it's fun. The kids wake up and want to go get it and see what we caught that night.

Bit of a heat wave down that way eh?

Bit of a heat wave down that way eh?

Yea I saw that as well. The only place on the planet where snow sticks at 100 F.:D A couple picts later it read 3F which was accurate. :confused: Maybe it will throw off the authorites if I get in trouble for pattterning my yard pets :rolleyes:

100 degrees F?? Lawnboy, methinks that your thermometer might be reading a tad high!! or maybe that is a truly advanced trail camera and its telling you the temperature of the critter in the picture.

Yeah, my next one will have some form a of bear box. I had a Cuddeback and it was a blast to use. Until some ornery old cow elk didn't like the flash it made, got a pic of her coming over to it, then one rearing back, and that was it. Found it at the base of the tree with a mudhole stomped into it! Stomped it right off the tree! One of SS's ammo boxes would have worked well to prevent this.

Hey Lawnboy....I have used trail cameras extensively for years and they do work great. If you live in bear area which it seems like you do I would suggest a box because bears willl eat them. Another reason is that you will get tired of people stealing them real fast once you loose one or two. Now every camera I have goes in a box. If someone wants to take one of my cameras now they have their work cut out for them and they better bring a torch. Remember....you get what you pay for . IMO I would stay away from Moultrie. Case in point...I bought one less than a year ago and the digital display failed on the camera. When I called customer service they asked if I had the sales receipt and I said no. They asked for the numbers inside the camera and the camera was manufactured 2 yrs ago. So being I dont have my receipt they will not and can not fix it. They would replace the camera at a discounted price. I responded no thank you and I will never buy one of their cameras again. Good luck.....:cool:

Well I've had what I would assume was a bear rip one off the tree. Lost 4-5 to theft and one this past year smashed to hell by someone. From what I've read before the boxes don't really protect from theft all that much but things could have changed

Well I've had what I would assume was a bear rip one off the tree. Lost 4-5 to theft and one this past year smashed to hell by someone. From what I've read before the boxes don't really protect from theft all that much but things could have changed
You are right...I have my buddy who does some metal fabrication make mine....they are indistructable....:cool:

I do use a metal box on the bear baits. I don't use the box when I use them for the deer and elk. This year on my fall bait I had a bear chew on the metal box but the camera was fine. I also use a scent eleminator spray when I set them so hopefully I don't draw any extra attention.

Those bushnells do have quite a tight but a good IR illumination at night. Probably helped by the reflection off the snow. Looks like you are off to a start, and well there is no stopping you now. All animals in the forest are fair game with the TC, its only up to you to think outside the square a bit to get creative with the sets. Keep the pictures coming.

I use metal boxes and python locks for my cams. Think that combination saved them from some curious bulls (elk and moose). Haven't had issues with bears, but all of these animals are curious and will mess with them. I think it's good insurance.

Exhibit A - Perpetrator assaulting my cam for over 20min and only minimal movement of my cam (no damage):
trailcam-prop100111092.jpg

trailcam-prop100111129.jpg

Wanting to spend more time chasing animals like these:
trailcam-prop100111205.jpg

trailcam-prop100111220-1-1.jpg

trailcam-prop100111088.jpg

TCSummer2012454_zps3885ae55.jpg

Like the others have said, the kids will love it and so will you. Its like Christmas every time we check the cameras. I have multiple cams on multiple farms and haven't had any of them stolen yet ( me knocking on wood). I try to hang the cams at about waist high for good trail pics but last year hung 2 diffrent ones at the same location to get a better idea of the size of the bigger bucks. . .one at waist level and one about 8ft up and at an angle, kind of a looking down view. Just experiment and have fun. Also, make sure that you use the reccommended size sd card. . .I got one from my digital cam mixed in with the trail cam cards and it didnt work. . .so I'm sure I missed a ton of good pics the month it was out. I use the Cuddebacks and the Moultrie's in infared, but have had good luck with the newer Wildgame ones too . . . I think everyone makes a decent cam it just depends on what your willing to spend.

I use metal boxes and python locks for my cams. Think that combination saved them from some curious bulls (elk and moose). Haven't had issues with bears, but all of these animals are curious and will mess with them. I think it's good insurance.

Exhibit A - Perpetrator assaulting my cam for over 20min and only minimal movement of my cam (no damage):
trailcam-prop100111092.jpg

trailcam-prop100111129.jpg

Wanting to spend more time chasing animals like these:
trailcam-prop100111205.jpg

trailcam-prop100111220-1-1.jpg

trailcam-prop100111088.jpg

TCSummer2012454_zps3885ae55.jpg
I think you found a good spot.....:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member