Trail Cam Security...

SWMontana1

One of my two trail cams that is set up on a friends small private parcel was stolen.... awesome!

So what do you guys use for security? What cam boxes do you use?

BUT even more imporantly how (or with what) do you secure the box to the tree with? Cable? Chains?? I don't think the nylon strap will work in the future.... :(

That sucks.

I've never used one, but my buddy carries in a cordless drill and screws them to the tree with 3" screws. He owns the property, so I'm not sure if it's legal to do that on public land.

I've had a dozen or so screw in steps stolen from my tree stands, all with in the past couple years. Not sure what the heck is wrong with people lately.

I'm a newby to trail cams myself, but my understanding is that a prepared thief will get your cam, even with the lock box and python cable. If that's what they're out in the forest for, they'll have a bolt cutter along for the ride.

That said, you're better off with the cable or chain than the nylon strap, but I've heard of people losing a cam with all kinds of 'security'. Best of luck!

Attach something that looks like this to it with a few extra wires and it should be good for the whole season. Naturally, I wouldn't suggest you create something functional but a pipe, wires and maybe a blinking lite or two should do the trick.

Attachments

• pipebomb.jpg
    pipebomb.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,104
If the lowlife can't steal it because you secure it to the tree somehow he'll make sure to smash and break it instead. That's how pricks like that roll.

At the risk of hijacking this thread; what's the consensus here on viewing the pictures on a trail camera that you stumble upon?

I'm hoping if someone sees the cam now, the effort of hiking all the way down to get wire cutters and then all the way back up to take the camera will seem like too much effort, rather than being able to just swipe it off the tree once they stumple upon it like this previous bastard! I just I'm banking on people's laziness....

Every cam that I have found on public land I have popped the chip into my camera and looked through the pics :D, deleted the photos of just myself and "put it back where I found it" and made sure it was still running correctly.

I figure a lot of cameras get taken because trespassers dont want to be caught. Dog chain and cheap padlocks work most of the time.

Every cam that I have found on public land I have popped the chip into my camera and looked through the pics :D, deleted the photos of just myself and "put it back where I found it" and made sure it was still running correctly.

Personally, I've never run across another's trail camera before, but I certainly wouldn't care if someone did that to one of mine. The key there is it's back where you found it and it's still working--that's how I ask others treat my stuff. I figure it's part of the price I pay to be using public lands.

Last edited:
I had an unlocked cam stolen in western Montana on public land two years ago. It is unbelievably maddening!!! I guess that's what I get for thinking other people are as honest as myself. I now carry a 4foot bike lock and padlock to keep them on the tree. If your cams are like mine the problem is the loops for the lock to hook through are plastic so anyone with a rock could break the loop and take the camera with the cable still locked got the tree. Goodluck!

I have 2 bushnell trophy cams and invested in python cable locks and security boxes for them. This is to deter only because if someone really wants it, they'll get it, but may as well make it harder for them. This setup has also helped me keep them from curious bull elk/moose messing with the cams. I would've likely lost or broke one last year if I didn't have this setup. One raghorn bull elk was extra curious with the cam.

I usually don't put mine where I think others would notice it anyway and not many others are in there.

Here's the place I got the security boxes from and they also have a presence on Amazon (http://www.outdoortrailcams.com/index.php).

FYI - I would never check another persons pics. That's theirs, leave it be.

There are a lot of things that I use to varying degrees depending on the risk and the setup. I have had bear and elk destroy my cameras, but they have never been stolen by people.

Hiding the camera is the best defense. I have filmed people sitting within 5 yards of cameras for hours at a time and never give an indication that they noticed that they were on camera. I have also had three different occasions where I told landowners exactly where a camera was, then got photos of them looking for the camera, and later they told me that they couldn't find them.

The python cable lock is awesome. I use them on cameras quite often. I also use them on bear bait barrels. In addition to the security, it helps get the camera snug against the tree much better than chain or other cables.

If I am packing in I save weight by using screws instead of cable. I use less common heads so that some guy with a leatherman in his pocket won't be able to take it. Some cameras are made to accept screws and some would need a case or modification. I did have one of these cameras get noticed by a hunter, but he either wasn't inclined to steal it or couldn't get it off.

I do also often have multiple cameras set up in an area, but that is more about catching all of the wildlife activity as it is about catching a thief. I have detected several trespasses and illegal off-roading on my trail cameras, but just having someone's photo doesn't do any good unless you know the guy or have some way to figure out who he is.

Legal issues: There are some general exemptions on federal land for legal hunting activities. They allow us to bait bears, put up tree stands, and build blinds without getting charged with littering or building structures. These exemptions are broad enough that I don't see why they wouldn't allow a trail camera to be screwed to a tree. A forest or BLM district could have its own exemption, but as far as I know these rules are good for almost anywhere it is legal to hunt in the west.

Public land also has a first-come-first-served policy for blinds and tree stands that are left by other hunters. The same policy is not specific to blinds and tree stands, and has been accepted to apply to shooting over someone else's bait as well. It is illegal to tamper or remove someone else's blind or stand, but it is perfectly legal to sit in it if you beat them to it on any given day. I would think that the same policy would apply to getting photos off of someone else's camera on public land. It is probably illegal to delete photos or turn the camera off, but as long as you leave it how you found it, I think that public access laws would have you covered. That said, I wouldn't feel good about downloading someone else's photos, just like I don't feel good about beating them to their own blind. If anyone ever has downloaded my photos, they will probably think that nothing has been coming in for the past week (because I set it with last week's date).

I am no expert but I do believe in hiding them as good as you can to try to keep it from being tampered with in the first place. I have ordered a couple of box's from these guys and they do keep the bears and elk from destroying them, they are pretty heavy gauge steel. Like it was mentioned earlier in the thread, if someone wants it, they will figure out a way to get it. Here is the link to the people I have orderd box's from in the past.

http://www.custom1enterprises.com/default.htm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back