Yeti GOBOX Collection

Tradbow Bighorn Ram

Flynarrow

On Oct 25 i completed a 50 year quest for a bighorn ram with my longbow. My first hunt was in 1961 in the Middle Fork Salmon when I was 18 yo. The next was 1981 back there and I ended up having to use my rifle after 22 days of bowhunting. Then I missed a large Colorado ram in S12 in 2005. Finally after 35 years of applying I drew in western Montana where I live. Spent 10 days actually hunting and looked at 50 rams, of which this was the biggest. Spotting him at 1.5 miles I then climbed 2 hours where the 8 rams were bedded but they were gone. Traveresed back and forth until I found them. A stalk put me within 10 yards of two smaller rams which thought that was too close and jumped down a ledge and stood with the others broadside at 20 yards which was long enough and close enough....an moment I wont forget. 7.5 years old and 36 inches with 16 inch bases. Greg Munther

Attachments

• tmpphp4ZFPFv.jpg
    tmpphp4ZFPFv.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,618
  • sized bighorn frontal.jpg
    sized bighorn frontal.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,578
Beautiful ram and one heck of a first post. Congrats!

You are 3 years older than I am and seem to have the same sort of interest in hunting, that is to do it on your own, kill only what you can eat and is a real trophy and I am enormously impressed by your accomplishment. This, to me, is REAL hunting and I congratulate you on your ram.

Have you hunted any other sheep species with your longbow and were you successful?

Congrats, Greg. When I saw you sign up, I was hoping you were going to post the story that I had heard through the grapevine.

It is most deserved to you. Not only for your efforts on this hunt, but the amount of work you do for other hunters and conservation. Thanks for all you do.

An amazing trophy by any means, but the traditional archery set up puts it on a pedestal that will be hard to match. Very impressive. Congratulations.

I am more impressed that it took 50 years to harvest this fine animal. I also hunt with a longbow and know that if given the shot I can make it, I turn 42 on sunday I hope I can still climb the mountains at 68. congrats

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back