Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tough Winter

Breaks the big herd on the east side of town that was around a couple hundred a couple weeks ago was down to about 40 this morning on my way to work.

You guys got me worried about the bunch that has been staying by me. I went out the road today and a bunch were walking down the road to stay out of the deep stuff. There had been an easy several hundred in that drainage for the past couple weeks but today I only saw two small groups. Don't know it they are running out of sage, breaking up in smaller groups, or 2/3 of them may be dead. Gonna have to go for a walk in the morning and see what they are up too. It's about 38 below right now and will no doubt be colder in the morning.

Attachments

• antelope abstract.jpg
    antelope abstract.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_9281trm.jpg
    IMG_9281trm.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_9300.jpg
    IMG_9300.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 408
here you go mdunc8. 47 below this morning. We tried the boiling water trick and all it did was make a bunch of steam in the air. It all hit the ground as liquid. Wonder if it would be different at say 8000 feet or above?

Attachments

• IMG_9305.jpg
    IMG_9305.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 374
here you go mdunc8. 47 below this morning. We tried the boiling water trick and all it did was make a bunch of steam in the air. It all hit the ground as liquid. Wonder if it would be different at say 8000 feet or above?

I think that eastern Montana water might be a little thicker than Rocky MT spring water. You toss it up here, it makes a crackle noise, with steam, and it's gone. Should work at -47

You sure don't want to goose those antelope in that weather. Last thing they need to do is run.

Thats only 46 1/2 below 2Dot... dont exaggerate!! ;0)

Nasty... I sure feel for the lope and deer up north. Down here in South Central, there isn't any snow and the cold aint bad (-18 this more).... supposed to be near 50 in a couple days...

Dang belly-deep, I was going to propose moving Bozeman out east, nobody here in BALMY SW MT wants it here....that's kind of a joke for all you Bozemanites that will now jump on me like a pack of wolves.

Boy you fellas are really getting pounded. Hasn't been that cold or really that much snow here in central WI. Can't imagine -47

The Weather Channel said that Glasgow was -59 this morning. Wonder how Nemont is doing...

The Weather Channel exaggerated.

That is true the windchill may have been that cold but the air temp was only -37 below.

The Weather Channel said that Glasgow was -59 this morning. Wonder how Nemont is doing...

Threw another log on the fire last night, poured three fingers of Pendleton's to sip on and listened to the house crack and pop for a while.

Had all the rigs that had to move today plugged in and they all started but sure didn't want to. The wife's new Ford Edge was toasty in the garage but she wouldn't let me drive that.

I am not going anywhere that is not necessary and I may not stay at the office all day as after about 4 pm I doubt many will be out and about.

This cold just makes me appreciate those 90 degree summer days on the lake more.

Nemont

Last edited:
Where you have antelope, we have elk. The winter of '07-'08 we lost 70% of our elk herd and 60% of our mule deer.

This is last winter, across the road form our house
006-3.jpg

This was taken in early March of '06 about a mile up the road from the house.
IMG_0397_2.jpg

There were about 1500 elk in that bunch.

This was taken last winter in the same place as the photo above.
IMG_0670.jpg

This was taken last week from LOM road on the coal mine where I work
001-13.jpg

Here trains massacre elk herds, not antelope herds.

I remember the winters back in '77-'78 and '78-'79 when I lived in Miles City. Those winters were cold AND lots of snow. Thousands of antelope didn't make it, but it didn't take very long for them to bounce back.

It'll take another 4-5 years for the elk to recover unless the wolves get here before that.

RJ

Last edited:
Back