Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Total Beginner

STEP 1 take a Hunter Safety course

Step 2 investigate opportunities in your home state

step 3. Get more familiar with guns by practicing with rental or borrowed guns until you decide what you would like to get for yourself

Step 4. find some small game opportunities

Step 5. Start on big game with deer in your home state.

Step 6 Look at other states for other opportunities

Each one of these steps builds on the one before it and many questions will become self evident along the way...Good luck.

Welcome! 2rocky gave you some great resources to follow. This epidemic throws a wrench in getting started but once things open up a Hunter Safety course is first order of business, I see that Illinois allows a completely online certification but I feel that having the field day is beneficial.

Some quick google results show that there are workshops that the state puts on that you can attend, the site below is a good start. Good opportunities for hands on learning and mentorship.

Also never hurts to get involved with the local chapters of the various conservation organizations like Ducks Unlimited, Qual/Pheasants Forever, Wild Turkey Federation, etc. You'll get to meet some people, get a good meal and throw back a few drinks. Might make a few friends who bring you along on their adventures and help you along the way.

Start small when it comes to gear, just cover the basics of what you need for the particular game you are after. If you want to chat feel free to shoot me a message.

Have really liked the idea of checking out Colorado. For hunting and fly fishing.

It's a great place to do both! Plenty of great hunting right around world-renowned fly fishing. I would say its probably easier to start hunting with a rifle do to archery having a lot more things to learn and become proficient with, but that decision is totally up to you.

Welcome from Chicago. Public land hunting in IL, especially N IL, is a PITA, but it can be done. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I’m more than happy to point you in the right direction.

Thank you for taking the time to provide this breakdown. I know it’s simple stuff, but this is totally a new world and I have no one in my circle to ask this stuff too. It really is appreciated

Welcome from Chicago. Public land hunting in IL, especially N IL, is a PITA, but it can be done. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I’m more than happy to point you in the right direction.

where and what do you usually hunt? Are you using Bow and/or Rifle?

where and what do you usually hunt? Are you using Bow and/or Rifle?
Be mindful of the regulations in Illinois, you can't hunt deer with a rifle there. Illinois is a little trickier than some states when it comes to firearm ownership, hunting regs, and ammunition. A resident who has dealt with it for a while would be a good guide on firearm ownership there, believe you have to go through a process to get a FOID.

Looking at the regs for deer in IL, your options are muzzle loader, shotguns using slugs from 10 to 20 guage, pistols of at least .30 caliber with some other restrictions, or bow/crossbow.

Last edited:
Welcome! 2rocky gave you some great resources to follow. This epidemic throws a wrench in getting started but once things open up a Hunter Safety course is first order of business, I see that Illinois allows a completely online certification but I feel that having the field day is beneficial.

Some quick google results show that there are workshops that the state puts on that you can attend, the site below is a good start. Good opportunities for hands on learning and mentorship.

Also never hurts to get involved with the local chapters of the various conservation organizations like Ducks Unlimited, Qual/Pheasants Forever, Wild Turkey Federation, etc. You'll get to meet some people, get a good meal and throw back a few drinks. Might make a few friends who bring you along on their adventures and help you along the way.

Start small when it comes to gear, just cover the basics of what you need for the particular game you are after. If you want to chat feel free to shoot me a message.

thanks for sharing that link. Obviously they are making some changes to their programs right now, but I have just signed up for an online webinar through them to start things off.

Welcome. My 1st advice would be to pick what game you want to initially pursue and then decide on #2, #3. The reason for that is that it will dictate your initial purchases. There is no need to pursue one game animal, spend a ton of $$$ for that sole purpose, then find your not well equipped for the next step.

Do Not go wild on buying the brightest, biggest and the Best. A simple budget shotgun, or rifle will put as much meat in the freezer as will an expensive one. I've been doing it for over 50 yrs! Learn to shoot what you have and shoot what is most accurate for you and your weapon.. END OF STORY.

If anyone tries to tell you differently, they lie ...You Do Not Need a Magnum Anything.

I have reposted this link I don't how many times, but it still is as true today as the day Randy originally made it.

A 20ga Mossberg 500 and a Ruger American 7mm/08 is a pretty reasonable starting point for bunnys, pheasant, turkeys, any deer, 'Lopes, Elk and bear.

Welcome Ben, I'm a Wisconsinite just a few hours "Nort" from you. Welcome. You'll find some great help here.

I'd join a conservation group such as Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. Illinois has a chapter, you can find some information here: https://www.backcountryhunters.org/illinois

Also, Wisconsin has a "learn to hunt" program, Illinois might have a similar one if you search the Illinois DNR or department of wildlife website.

Be careful for the keyboard warriors on Facebook, I've had much better luck on forums like this for finding genuine information.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Hi,

Hope you are all well. I’m 34, originally from England, where I grew up fly fishing trout with my dad. I never appreciated those times as much as I should have, and now I’m older, married, with two kids and sharing a different perspective I’m looking to get outdoors more and share some amazing adventures.

I now live in Illinois, but totally new to the hunting world. Right now I have never even held a gun. We have to start somewhere, right, so I have applied for my F.O.I.D card. I’m interested in bow & riffle. My long term goal is to hunt Elk, White tail deer, bison. My goal is for any kill to put food on the table.

I have so many questions. I look forward to reading through the different threads and getting a base knowledge.

if anybody here is also patient enough to educate a total beginner please let me know.

thanks again. I look forward to being part of the community.
Snap - total beginner from the UK - tonnes of fishing and now want to get into hunting

In south Florida though

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back