Top Gun 2

Well sht, I asked my wife if she wanted to go and she stared at me with a twisted face for a few seconds and then said she didn’t want to watch a “homoerotic penis movie.” That seems like a no.

And I’m too chicken to ask the girl at the gym.

Please advise.

[edit, corrected to reflect that the actual term was homoerotic, not homophobic]
Yikes...

My family and I watched it yesterday in 4DX, which I had never heard of two days ago, and it was freaking awesome! The seats moved along with the action scenes and fans blew air on us. If anyone has a 4DX theater near them you should 100% go see it in that theater!

I guess I'm in the minority who thought it was truly awful. Too much just trying to recreate scenes and relive memories from the first one. The Goose, Jr. storyline just made it predictable and corny. Also, WTF is the Penny storyline? I was literally googling to see if there was another Top Gun movie between the original and Maverick that I somehow missed my entire life, because they kept referencing old events that never happened. Putting Val Kilmer in there just to have Val Kilmer in there? Dumb. The premise of the whole mission was dumb. The whole thing was just dumb dumb dumb. They could have done way better. 2 stars.

But at least the flying scenes were cool.

I thought it was very entertaining but the same story line has been beaten to death in so many other movies that it kind of reduced the overall enjoyment for me. All these years to develop a sequel and this is the best they could come up with? I just wish it was more original for me.

But who doesn't like F18's?

Also, WTF is the Penny storyline? I was literally googling to see if there was another Top Gun movie between the original and Maverick that I somehow missed my entire life, because they kept referencing old events that never happened.
Penny was twice referenced in the original as an Admiral's daughter that Cruise hooked up with which led to some disciplinary measures.

Last edited:
Better than the original. Did a great job of "calling back" the original without making it seem strained like some sequels. I want a pre-quel with Viper and Mavericks dad in southeast asia.
That would be awesome. Kinda like how Lonesome Dove started and then went back to Comanche Moon with younger Gus and Call.

My son and I really enjoyed it, would probably even go see it again. As some have already said, I thought it did a good job of "calling back" to the original while still having it's own story line. Without trying to get political, I would simply say that it was refreshingly different than many other films from recent years. I go to see movies, particularly in the theater, to be entertained and this film definitely did that. Was it "cheesy" in some cases? Of course. Is Cruise pretty full of him self? Sure. But man, those action scenes were awesome!

I guess I'm in the minority who thought it was truly awful. Too much just trying to recreate scenes and relive memories from the first one. The Goose, Jr. storyline just made it predictable and corny. Also, WTF is the Penny storyline? I was literally googling to see if there was another Top Gun movie between the original and Maverick that I somehow missed my entire life, because they kept referencing old events that never happened. Putting Val Kilmer in there just to have Val Kilmer in there? Dumb. The premise of the whole mission was dumb. The whole thing was just dumb dumb dumb. They could have done way better. 2 stars.

But at least the flying scenes were cool.
This is why we have an ignore button. 😂

Read that Top Gun VHS was released in 1986 and cost $26.95, which was the lowest price VHS ever at the time. That translates to about $70 in 2022 $s.

Saw the movie, thought it was OK. Cool in IMAX. Couldn’t get over them flying the same mission as destroying the Death Star in Star Wars.

Read that Top Gun VHS was released in 1986 and cost $26.95, which was the lowest price VHS ever at the time. That translates to about $70 in 2022 $s.

Saw the movie, thought it was OK. Cool in IMAX. Couldn’t get over them flying the same mission as destroying the Death Star in Star Wars.
It was totally star wars, but I enjoyed what I took as a nod to "A New Hope". What can I say, as a movie goer, I'm easy to please

Saw it last night and thought overall it was entertaining. I thought it was kind of boring until the end though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back