Top 5 westerns

Open Range
Silverado
Lonesome Dove
Culpepper Cattle Co.
Life and times of Judge Roy Bean

Better Q, where the hell are you guys watching these?

Alright, I’m going to throw the flag on Quigley. It’s a great movie that I like a lot, but it was in Australia. Westerns have to be based in the western U.S.
I'm throwing the flag on your flag throwing. Is not Australia further west than the western us? Huh! Answer that!

Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid- "Hell, the fall is gonna kill ya"
Jeremiah Johnson- "You skin Griz, Pilgrim?"
Rancho Deluxe-
  • (Clifton James) "Have you always been a stock detective, Mr. Beige?"
  • (Slim Pickens) "No."
  • (Clifton James) "What did you do before that?"
  • (Slim Pickens) "I was a horse thief."
Pale Rider- “There's plain few problems can't be solved with a little sweat and hard work.”
The Unforgiven- "It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away everything he's got, and everything he's ever gonna have"
Young Guns- "You see the size of that God Damned Chicken?"
Lonesome Dove-“The whole point of loyalty was not to change: stick with those who stuck with you.”
Josey Wales- "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Need to add best line from each movie.

...& Cat Ballou, Jane's sexy era & Lee Marvin & his horse were hilarious.
Marvin won an Oscar for his dual role in Cat Ballou, the horse stole the show. It was filmed 10 miles from my house at an old west replica town near Royal Gorge called Buckskin Joe.

Buckskin Joe​

By Kaleb Dugat
Buckskin Joe was a western-style theme park located west of Canon City, opened in 1957 and closed in 2010. It was a re-creation of the Buckskin Joe mining camp. The mining camp once reached a population of 2,000 people. In 1942, only the Tabor Store and one of the old gambling halls were standing in the mining town. It was named Buckskin Joe after Joseph Higginbottom, who mined the first gold in the town.
Karol Smith, Don Tyner, and Malcolm F. Brown invested $100,000 to reproduce Buckskin Joe. They acquired buildings from real ghost towns in Colorado and moved them. When they moved the buildings, they counted every log and only replaced the decaying materials so the rebuilt buildings were the same. Some of the buildings were donated by the owners because they wanted to preserve their history. Every structure there represented a building from the Buckskin Joe Mining Camp. However, the only building from the mining camp was the Tabor Store – operated by H.A.W Tabor as a grocery store.
The theme park was originally built mostly for movies. There were many movies filmed there including: Vengeance Valley, Saddle the Wind, The Cowboys, The Duchess and The Dirtwater Fox, and Cat Ballou. Cat Ballou was the first movie to be filmed there 5 years after it was built.

Wikipedia's list:

Partial list of films[edit]​

Last edited:
Trying to remember the MT based one about homesteaders and land barons. Panned I think at the oscars and a few years later it was the benchmark for reality movies. 1970's?

A pet peeve of mine ,reality.
Clean clothes in westerns don't do much for me.
Never got into tv westerns much.

Stagecoach. Waynes 1st and best IMHO.

Someone is going to have to explain how No Country For Old Men is a western? It's set in 1980. The villain may be the fastest bolt gun in the west but that's a pretty big stretch.

Someone is going to have to explain how No Country For Old Men is a western? It's set in 1980. The villain may be the fastest bolt gun in the west but that's a pretty big stretch.

in the big picture, what makes something a western is genre conventions. such conventions can exist outside of a certain period of time.

by the definitions of movie genres, no country for old men is a neo-western, because the time period is not and does not typify the old west.

it has been considered one of the top 100 films of the 21st century. pretty much be default having to put it, IMO, as one of the top western films ever made.

it takes more than batwing doors, cowboy hats, and revolvers to make a movie a western.

surprised back to the future 3 hasn't been mentioned...

in the big picture, what makes something a western is genre conventions. such conventions can exist outside of a certain period of time.

by the definitions of movie genres, no country for old men is a neo-western, because the time period doesn't typify the old west.

it has been considered as one of the top 100 films of the 21st century. pretty much be default having to put it, IMO, as one of the top western films ever made.

it take more than batwing doors and revolvers to make a movie a western.

surprised back to the future 3 hasn't been mentioned...
Today I learned most of hunttalk thinks the western is dead, and neo westerns don’t count.

Not an unusual notion I guess:

I dont know what it takes to make the criteria but we gotta draw the line somewhere lol.

but it has cowboy hats, revolvers, fights at high noon on the streets of a dusty dry town, batwing doors, spitoons, horse troughs, and epic romance!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back