To Have Love and Lost...

Had a similar experience in the mid 90’s

Lost several mounts and lots of $ down payments

His wife was very apologetic, the douche not only split with everybody’s money, antlers, and hides, but left her high and dry with the mortgage, car payments, and kids.

Definitely a risk you take getting anything mounted, one of the reasons I take a ton of pictures…..might be the only thing you can hang on the wall.

Sorry to hear your story, shit sucks.

I live on the north side of Indy. The taxidermist is/was around the Lafayette area (West Point, IN to be exact).

Thanks!
No problem. I was involved with that guy from Brownsburg a few years back. I hounded him enough that he finished the mount. At one point I called the form supplier just to make sure he actually ordered the form. Looks like crap but at least I got it back

This is why I only take my mounts to a local taxidermist shop that I trust. HEs not the cheapest but he is a man of his word and I am not concerned with him skipping town. He has been in business for 25 years in the same building. I typically have my mounts back in less than a year as well.

Moving to mostly euro from here on out due to the rising costs of everything and trying to cut back on hunting costs a big but if I shoot something really big I might have it stuffed.

Sad situation. Sorry to hear about it. In the taxidermist defense keep in mind if it was a total loss fire he may have lost all records to contact anyone about the fire. Most of them write everything on tags and log books and even a PC without an off site backup may have been lost. I've known some people with taxidermist allow the owner of the rack take it home and return it when it's time to get the work done. I would suggest asking for this, after all it's your property.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back