To chamber, or not to chamber? That is the question.

I thought when "lives depend on it" only controlled-round feed is adequate... But that's another story.

Anyway, as a person that does not have an AR but feels he should, just because, what brand will give me 1 MOA for less than $800 off the shelf and what caliber? .223 or 5.56xsomething or whatever?
I think the soldiers and marines who literally fought for their lives with them would disagree. Most brands will give you what you are looking for. Personally I prefer to build my own. It's way cheaper and I can use the parts I want. Just make sure all parts are milspec. You can build a really good AR for relatively cheap and it's really easy.

Last edited:
I think the soldiers and marines who literally fought for their lives with them would disagree. Most brands will give you what you are looking for. Personally I prefer to build my own. It's way cheaper and I can use the parts I want. Just make sure all parts are milspec. You can build a really good AR for relatively cheap and it's really easy.

I imagine that is is all true, but it does take a bit more ambition and energy to research it all, and as an ambivalent, prospective AR owner, I'm just lacking sufficient motivation. Is there a cook-book recipe for it that is well vetted (I'm sure there are dozens of youtube videos, many of dubious quality)?

I imagine that is is all true, but it does take a bit more ambition and energy to research it all, and as an ambivalent, prospective AR owner, I'm just lacking sufficient motivation. Is there a cook-book recipe for it that is well vetted (I'm sure there are dozens of youtube videos, many of dubious quality)?
This is what I used to learn. You can have every part shipped directly to your door except the stripped lower. Which makes it really convenient to get exactly what you want. The stripped lower has to go through an ffl because it's the part with the serial number and is considered a firearm.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/A...BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_/4-226782/?

Up til now, while big game hunting I had a cartridge chambered. Since reading a tragic story about a hunter slipping and shooting his buddy, my brothers and I are rethinking this practice. I think while hunting alone I'll have one chambered unless it's very steep or slippery. Hunting with a partner, no shell in the chamber. We've been very safe over the years and keep learning.

Of course there are exceptions, but this will be how we roll for the most part.

I hunt alone and never have one in the chamber until I am ready to kill a legal animal.
Nothing in the chamber is standard operating procedure for everyone back at camp.

Keep it unchambered unless I am expecting to walk/ jump/ sneak up on something and I take my rifle out of the pack sling. Example would be if I'm creeping through dark timber or something and may need to be quick, but I already have full control of the rifle in my hands.

I thought some more on this issue after reading some of the posts and news articles someone posted up. Obviously, if a gun is never loaded - there will be no accidental discharge. On the same hand - every gun should be treated as though it is loaded and if it is (meaning the muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction) there should be no death or injury in the event of any discharge. I don't have any data at hand, but I recall hearing a statistic that the majority of accidental discharges occur when loading/unloading a firearm...which got me thinking even more about the original question and what is safest - loading a firearm in a calm scenario at the parking lot or trailhead...or loading that gun in the excitement of spotting game where, depending on your experience, buck fever may be setting in and your focus is at best distracted by the quarry you are pursuing?

I posted earlier that I unload my firearm if I have any doubt about my ability to control the muzzle direction - but otherwise I will often have a round chambered. I do think a lot more about whether I want a round chambered while out hunting - but I'm starting to think if I'm with other hunters, particularly less experienced hunters, maybe it's not the safest thing to be in a situation where they are trying to load a gun during the heat of the moment?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back