To call fish and game or not to call

So, second day of rifle season, Montana, public land. Sitting on a glassing knob with my wife and someone steps out of their truck (far enough away to not be able to tell what they shot) and shoots twice at an animal about 12 min before legal shooting light. Would I be being petty to call them in? Is it irresponsible not to? Given how clear the sky was and how close the shot looked ( maybe 100 yards?) His visibility was probably good enough to shoot but the principal of it pissed me off. I did not call it in as to avoid the "oh no I didn't.", " Oh yes you did!" Routine while trying to fill me and my wife's elk tags. Thoughts?

I would not call it in. I'd rather they just did away with scopes. Then the problem would self correct.

I would much rather they bust illegal ATV jockeys.

I guess I don't have a huge problem with it (still don't like it)as long as he had a safe shot and good visibility. If he or she had permission if it was private , and the correct tags , and could safely shoot then I guess I probably wouldn't call it in as long as nothing else seemed shady

I would not call it in. I'd rather they just did away with scopes. Then the problem would self correct.

I would much rather they bust illegal ATV jockeys.

Do away with scopes? Good luck. Unless you can verify what you saw (heard), don't bother. mtmuley

I used to care about stuff like that in Montana...but anymore, I don't think I'd bother to turn anyone in for much of anything.

Why get all twisted around the axle about a guy shooting an elk a couple minutes early, when the MTFWP allows them to be hunted for six months?

Its all about killing elk, so let the lead fly.

I'm sure the game wardens have bigger fish to fry than shots a few minutes early if you know what I mean. And as far as your hunt it's probably not work interrupting to deal with something like that.

Do you guys typically know the exact minute legal light begins and ends of every day and keep an eye on that?

I tend to shoot when I feel its safe to do so.Do you have time to check your watch and your cell phone for legal time Hells no!Send another slug it shows you care.:cool:

Do you guys typically know the exact minute legal light begins and ends of every day and keep an eye on that?

actually, yes, I do. However with the types of firearms I use, I can never actually see to shoot at that time.

"About" 12 minutes is a pretty thin call to the fish cops. Now if they're breaking out the spotlight, drop a dime.

As for getting rid of scopes, who pays attention to this kind of nonsense?

I do. My own personal experience is that legal shooting light is more often than not still not light enough for me to be able to shoot something.

I don’t know if I would’ve called the guy in. I’d like to think all these types of things should be pursued, but on opening day after waiting a year to go hunting, sometimes you don’t wanna deal with anyone else’s BS and you just wanna hunt.

You missed the proper time to call, call immediately.
Always call the tip Mont Number it's manned 24/7.
I call every time I see some nit wit driving on state lands , shooting off the road, and off road atv's.
But you need to call on the spot. We have SEEN FWP officers get to the offenders minutes after we call...
12 minutes before season or 1 minute it's still wrong.
PS
the only "Legal" time is printed on all the FWP publications regardless what your "app" says.

I try and set an alarm on my phone for morning and evening shooting hours. Mostly for waterfowl but would work for big game too.

I usually know the time but realistically I'm waiting a few minutes for better shooting light anyway. IMO if you were going to call it in you had to do it on the spot so there's a record of you calling it in before legal shooting light. Probably not worth interrupting your hunt over unless there were more violations. Kinda ridiculous the guy couldn't wait a few minutes to start blasting. From a safety perspective if it's not shooting light can you really be sure of what's beyond your target?
My pet peeve is the guys driving their ATVs all over the place. Watched a guy last year driving everywhere but the road, shooting off it, missing, trying again, ... didn't have cell service or I woulda lit his fat ass up on the tip line.

I used to care about stuff like that in Montana...but anymore, I don't think I'd bother to turn anyone in for much of anything.

Why get all twisted around the axle about a guy shooting an elk a couple minutes early, when the MTFWP allows them to be hunted for six months?

Its all about killing elk, so let the lead fly.
At least you're not bitter about it.

Back