TNC Close On Land Sale to National Forest in Blackfoot

BigHornRam

Been in the works for a while and is now official.

Picture # 3 in the article displays a map of the parcels in this sale for those interested.

My dad and granddad logged in that area 50 years ago. Neat to see a larger scale project like this come together; so often they don't seem to come to fruition.

Thanks for the pics, certainly appears to be money well spent !
Don't know what we paid for this purchase. Do know the land the BLM purchased just to the east sold for around $700 per acre, money well spent. The BLM has plans to buy more and may ultimately end up bordering these forest service lands just purchased. That would be a good consrvation deal IMO

Glad to see that all finalized...I've spent an hour or two in that country.

I see they mentioned Wisherd Ridge in that article, I'm sure the family it was named after is pretty happy about this as well.

Wendell was a pretty big advocate for the Blackfoot drainage...also about as good a person as you'd ever meet. Glad I knew him and got the chance to fish and hunt with him, I'm better for it.

Last edited:
Couple more recent pictures I lifted from the Big Tree thread.
20201129_074610.jpg
20201129_074653.jpg
North slopes in this area are heavily timbered with larch, fir, spruce, and some pockets of cedar. South slopes are grassy and more open. Largest live bighorn ram I've ever seen was in this area of purchase. Quite a variety of big game animals occupy this area.

TNC does some pretty heavy lifting. This is awesome, thanks for sharing BHR.
Yes they do. TNC has sold much of this property for less than they bought it for. Sprayed weeds, replaced culverts, repaired roads, conducted fuel reduction and thinning projects, and more all while allowing the public to recreate on it.
Thank you TNC for what you do!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rimfire45
Back