Tires....again.

hank4elk

40k is about all I can get out of any tire in NM anymore. I go by years now, & hope for 2 years on tires now.The dirt/gravel roads in Catron county do what the Sierra granite could not do,eat ANY tire. Used to get 65k plus in Tacoma on Michelin LTX's. Same with old Duelers.

So after having rear-end rebuilt, new front hubs,rotors & new brakes done on my F150,my mech called with the news I needed new tires too,so he could align properly. Had 40k on Kenda Klevers. They were almost gone,wornout.
I have used most every tire & type to find what the tradeoff will be. Nice ride on hwy or get NOT stuck on these roads. Noise or quiet. Slide & get stuck or ? Price.....stupid high or ?
See every brand being repaired or replaced locally every season on every vehicle style there is. All warranties are void if you use your truck on dirt roads or off road these days. Period!

Went for the deal on new Yokahama Geolander X-AT over the Coopers AT3 or Maxx this time....Very similar to the Maxx. 10ply/Q/E rated,45kmi warranty,they say.....
I will be using a road more now to get to hwy,that has less gravel but you can get stuck EZ when wet. Gravel on Omega road cuts tires when dry like a knife,eventually. Got 30k on the last Geolander AT's before they were eaten by Omega....nice tires & ride but weak sister with gravel roads.
No hwy noise, check. Ride excellent on dirt & paved,check. Ride on hwy in downpour,check. Some mud/wet dirt,check....so far we have had one good storm around here this summer. Winter thaw will be the tell.
Hauled water to stock tank no problem across streambed mud,check...... 60lbs in 80lb tires for ride.

Lots of internet blather about F150s eating tires. Maybe it's actually true? I know my F250 ate tires like a fat kid at a buffet, but it didn't help it was a PSD and I lived in the mountains.

I have same issues in SE idaho. Got a flat tire this weekend on the mountain that was fun. I was trying to get one more hunting season out if these tires. Only 35k on them. So I ordered some of these this time to try hoping they last longer.Screenshot_20190902-183649_Chrome.jpg

I have had very good luck and put about 700,000 or more miles on Bf Goodrich AT's . Currently running Toyos AT and they are not wearing good at all, They will not go 50,000. I have had sets of the Bf Goodrich's that I got over 60,000 on.

I'm surprised you guys are getting that many miles to begin with. That's impressive! Heck, our '18 Ford F-150 has tires from Discount Tire w/ a warranty for 40,000 miles and I'm happy with that... That's likely most highway as well. I guess it comes down to the ply thickness?
Good thread to follow. We're probably a year out from having to change out our tires.

I use 10 ply or E/Q rated tires now in NM, on both my trucks. Get too many flats otherwise. There are only a few paved roads here too...........and many miles to anywhere on the paved ones.
Last GY Duratracs lasted maybe 20k & got lots of flats.
Never seen a BFG AT tire that was not loud & did not load up with mud....here,in NM.
Both high priced ,for the name.............IMHO.
Michelin needs a real AT. Best mostly hwy tire I have owned.Biggest price for name about too.........lol

Most ford guys dont get 40k out of a set of tires because their truck breaks down before then can get that many miles:devilish:
127k on this 01' F-150,450k on a 65' F-100,565k on a 65' F-250....my Old Dodges were good,50's & 60's models. My 50's & 60's Chebby's & Jimmy's sat alot waiting for repairs, while I racked up miles in Ford trucks....just sayin'

I had good luck with BFG KO2s on my 06 Tundra. 60k on the last set I had. My friends with 3/4 ton trucks don't do as well with them though.

2nd the K02 on my Tacoma, I tried coopers and liked them, but my BFG K02 have been great in Snow, Icr, Mud, Dirt, and HWY. Have lasted about 65k at the moment (after this season they will be replaced). Worth the money for how much we rely on them. I also have a Dewalt air compressor/jump starter with a tire patch kit to keep in the truck and keep my tired working upon the inevitable puncture.

I use 10 ply or E/Q rated tires now in NM, on both my trucks. Get too many flats otherwise. There are only a few paved roads here too...........and many miles to anywhere on the paved ones.
Last GY Duratracs lasted maybe 20k & got lots of flats.
Never seen a BFG AT tire that was not loud & did not load up with mud....here,in NM.
Both high priced ,for the name.............IMHO.
Michelin needs a real AT. Best mostly hwy tire I have owned.Biggest price for name about too.........lol
The toyos Im running now on the 18 F150 are 34in 10ply they are noisier than the bf ko2's. Yes the Ko2s do slick up quick in the mud

I've always had very good luck with BFG tires. 10 ply and never got any flats. Had them in both all-terrain and mud terrain. They are very pricey though but as with most things you get what you pay for.

I don't know how I did it but I foolishly got over 100k on a set of Cooper's, I think the AT3's, on my Tacoma. I put them on about a month after I bought the truck early in 2013 and just replaced them last year. I only had one flat during that time and there was still a decent amount of tread on them. They were starting to loose chunks of rubber though. I'm on my second set now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back