Tires again…I know

Currently have a set of nitto ridgegrapplers on my work pickup. Have had 5 flats in 8500miles and two of the 5 the tire has need replaced because of the size of the hole. Putting a new set on tomorrow of Cooper Discover ST Maxx. Have them on my personal pickup and they have been great in the snow and ice
Similar experience, those Nittos are great for the pavement princess trucks tho. You won’t regret the coopers, the st pros are good too

I have used multiple makes of AT and MT tires over the past thirty five years, all 10-ply. Last fall I decided to try the new Cooper Rugged Treks.
To say I am impressed thus far is an understatement.

We have had snow and ice for four months straight here and they have perfomed very well. Good behavior on the highway, great traction in snow and mud.

I spend a LOT of time on two-tracks and forest service roads.

If these hold up long term, they will be getting replaced with another set...

I have used multiple makes of AT and MT tires over the past thirty five years, all 10-ply. Last fall I decided to try the new Cooper Rugged Treks.

We have had snow and ice for four months straight here and they have perfomed very well. Good behavior on the highway, great traction in snow and mud.

I wanted to try those but my tire source didn't have any, so I bought the evolution mt instead. I wasn't impressed in the snow and ice.

Actually I’ve found KO2s to be a very good snow and ice tire. They aren’t great in mud, and all you have to do is look at the tread design to see why. However, for rocks, snow, ice, etc they perform very well. I’ve burned up several sets without issue, and lots of miles in very inclement weather.

We must 180 degree different driving styles. I'll never get them again based on their snow and ice performance. The only thing I liked them on was sand.

I was looking into those -- went with a different tire for now, but every spring I want to buy new tires (I'm a tire addict).

Do you have the XL or E rated?

Edit: I see you said 10 ply I can't read today, so E rated. My understanding is the XL are snow rated, but good to hear the Es are solid in snow too

Last edited:
We must 180 degree different driving styles. I'll never get them again based on their snow and ice performance. The only thing I liked them on was sand.
Not all of them have the same rubber compound. They have some that are 3MPSF approved. Drove them across Wyoming, Montana and Idaho in a hell of a blizzard.

I’ve been intrigued by these. My neighbor down the street has them. Good looking tire. They are on the short list when I buy this fall. I was a little surprised to see not all sizes get the snowflake stamp.

Currently have a set of nitto ridgegrapplers on my work pickup. Have had 5 flats in 8500miles and two of the 5 the tire has need replaced because of the size of the hole. Putting a new set on tomorrow of Cooper Discover ST Maxx. Have them on my personal pickup and they have been great in the snow and ice
I tried the TerraGrapplers and sold the set for $200 after driving on them less than 300 miles.
Nitto is a no go for me.

How many miles a year do you put on your K02 tires? Does it include winter?

I don't put any miles on them because they suck and I don't buy them anymore.

I put on 25-40K miles a year. Haven't had a set worth a crap past 50K. I live in MN...so yes, it includes 6-7 months of winter. Probably 8 this year because good Lord winter won't end.

I currently have Cooper Rugged Trek. They're OK. Not good on ice but what is? Decent in snow, good in sand and mud. They have 60K on them and are wearing well but got louder. The best tires I've had in a long time are Discount Tire brand Pathfinder AT's.

Ive Run BFG AT KO and KO2. Pirelli Scopion AT, and two different versions of GoodYear Wrangler AT.

If you’re going to get in any mud, the BFGs at the big winner hands down. On ice and snow the GoodYear Wranglers had a slight edge. On wet pavement the Scorpions were the big winner hands down.

I hate to say it, but I largely felt like the GoodYear Wranglers were a let down both times. They were only slightly better than the BFGs on wet pavement, and waaaaaaaaay worse in mud. Useless in mud. Got about 70K out of them both times.

The Scorpions were okay in the mud, much better than the Wranglers. They were so good in wet pavement that it was like it wasn’t even wet. I totaled the truck with about 60k on them, and the insurance agent said “new tires? I’ll give you credit for that”. I said “no, they’re not new” and he gave me 3/4 credit. Those were the biggest tires I’ve ever driven on, so I would expect a little more mileage, but I was still impressed.

The BFGs are hands down the best in the mud. Not so good on wet pavement. I’ve gotten roughly 85k on all five sets I’ve had spread over two Tacos and a ‘94 pickup. Across all five of those sets, I’ve experienced a total of 3 punctures. If I didn’t spend a fair bit of time in the mud, I might go with the Pirellis, but I spend enough time in mud that I won’t likely ever buy anything else for a truck.

Best thing about BFG is that they’re made in USA.

Last edited:
I've been running the BFG AT on three seperate trucks for at least 15 years. F150,250,& Tundra
I'm not sure if the compound has changed in the last few years but they absolutely suck in the rain or on hard surfaces. Dirt, snow, mud, no complaints, but on wet hardtop they just don't cut it anymore. I will not put them on any of my vehicles again.
That’s always been my experience with BFG ATs even back to the KO before the KO2. I feel like the KO2 came out nearly 20 years ago.

They last forever, are super tough(hard to puncture), and do better in mud than any other AT, but they flat suck on wet pavement. I drive slow when it rains. If I lived somewhere that got a lot of rain, and my off-road driving was on gravel instead of through sloppy clay mud, I’d be looking at a different tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back