Tired of politics and politicians

warmer

Thanks to this forum I have been much more active in what happens in our state,SD, in relation to outdoor activities and wildlife. I have sent emails to my US Senators regarding LWCF funding, emails to my local state Reps and Senator regarding wildlife issues, tag allocations and sportsmen access. Everything I have suggested in my emails was to protect hunting and fishing rights and access of average sportsmen and women.
And yet every vote, email that got returns and everything conversation goes something like this:”Thanks for your input but I disagree with what you say and am voting the exact opposite of what you want”.
I’m tired of fighting the system. What should I do?

Relieve yourself of the burden and realize Jesus is your King. Any Republican or Democrat is a pebble in the current. Keep your faith strong.

As far as wildlife, I like to read Genesis 9:3, NIV:

"Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Just say a prayer and bring your concerns to Him!

Last edited by a moderator:
It can be hard to be the voice of reason, because you often get over-talked by the unreasonable. Leaving the debate is not an option though because we need voices of dissent against lunacy.

We do win though, look at the bear ban in California that recently got pulled off of the docket. That was a lot of folks making their voices heard. Do that and get others to do the same. Then, thank people when they listen, and try to be pro-active as far as keeping things from getting this far in the fist place.

Oh yeah, and an occasional beer can't hurt too much.

I’ve sent a lot of emails to a lot of legislators over the years. And before email I sent letters. I make a point to personalize the message by referencing a mutually known person, a committee the lawmaker served on, something they said in a speech or during floor debate that I liked, etc. I also briefly describe who I am, and why I care about the particular issue.

Overwhelmingly I get a thanks for contacting me, followed by a brief explanation of their position. In many cases the legislator will suggest other ways I can get involved on the issue, which is actually useful information and not a pat answer.

Keep at it. Politicians do listen. Especially state legislators in your districts - they generally want to get re-elected.

Thanks to this forum I have been much more active in what happens in our state,SD, in relation to outdoor activities and wildlife. I have sent emails to my US Senators regarding LWCF funding, emails to my local state Reps and Senator regarding wildlife issues, tag allocations and sportsmen access. Everything I have suggested in my emails was to protect hunting and fishing rights and access of average sportsmen and women.
And yet every vote, email that got returns and everything conversation goes something like this:”Thanks for your input but I disagree with what you say and am voting the exact opposite of what you want”.
I’m tired of fighting the system. What should I do?

For starters just delete the obnoxious reply emails! I don't even read them anymore. What's the point? The canned brush off feels like a kid with their fingers in their ears saying "la la la, I can't hear you!"

More seriously, just keep fighting. It sounds trite, but that's what we all have to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back