Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tire Size

What tire size would you pick for western November high country hunting?

• Total voters

Ben Sellers

I’m interested in what tire size you guys think is best, particularly in late season in the mountains? Do you run stock size, go wide, tall, skinny??? About to get some 10 ply’s to replace my stock tires. Brand has been talked to death but what about size? This year headed to the western slope of Colorado mid November. Next year, Montana in rifle season.

Wider tires do better in the snow and mud. The 285/70r17 and 33x12.50 are only an inch apart on width and close enough on diameter to call them the same. That being said, I run 275/65r18s and have no issues.
Make sure to check your speedometer after switching tire sizes..don't need that ticket.

Wider tires do better in the snow and mud. The 285/70r17 and 33x12.50 are only an inch apart on width and close enough on diameter to call them the same. That being said, I run 275/65r18s and have no issues.
Make sure to check your speedometer after switching tire sizes..don't need that ticket.
Thanks! I’ve had that ticket when I was a lot younger. I bet I had a dumb look on my face.

Well size is going to depend a lot on the vehicle you're mounting them on obviously, I would go as big as possible while still having clearance for chains. Mostly just because I like the look.

I’m more interested in function than looks. I figure my truck will look like an old man truck with the high rise topper anyway.

Narrow tires are far better in snow, especially with chains. The classic 235/85r16 pizza cutters are the best I have seen in snow, my dad's old square body chevy we had when i was a kid would go a scary amount of places in the winter. We did a lot of stupid things in that truck in bfe eastern montana way before cell phones....
If any of those sizes are a common commercial size, sometimes those sizes are a little cheaper. Some of the commercial a/t tires are really nice too.

I am in the narrow tires for snow camp also. When the snow is hard and crusty the narrow tire will bust through with less effort and will give you better traction as the weight of the truck is spread out on a smaller space. Wide tires are good in sand or soft ground.

I run stock sizes, I use 4x4 to get out of spots not in. Too each their own though. I agree with the other treads narrow.

Stock,but quality tires a must. Have taller stock on the old Tacoma,but still stock.

Narrow for snow, and wide for mud/off-road I’ve found works best. Like @Werty mentioned, it’s best to get yourself out of trouble with 4WD than it is to get into trouble.

If you expect to encounter snow, narrower is going to be better. As others have said, with sand/mud you’ll likely do a bit better going wider. Getting a size that will allow you to use chains will trump everything.

My 15 GMC Sierra 1500 runs LT285/55R20 Falken Wildpeaks. About half inch taller and wider than stock, with a mildly aggressive all terrain and 10 ply rating. No suspension mods or anything. I likely can’t fit chains in the front - working thru that issue now. Looking like it’ll be chains in the rear, cables up front. Hopefully I don’t need them.

If you’re running 17 inch wheels, I think that would be close to 285/70. But I’ve been wrong on these crazy metric sizes before.

Wide tires have their place in snow. The guys here in my arera that have crawlers run wide tires. But we are talking 4 feet of snow and more. mtmuley

I went stock size but 10ply. I have chains for the snow if things get wild. My cousin put wide tires on his truck and was complaining about fuel mileage. So remember that when you put wide tires on.

Without knowing year/make/model, i put stock size.
Going to different sizes could affect ABS, and traction/roll control.

We’re talking a 2018 Ford F-150 XLT super crew 4x4. Not the FX4 version. I am putting 2” leveling struts on it so it should be able to handle 33” tires without trouble. I’m thinking maybe staying with the stock size and then the spare would still be good. I could also take the best take off and put it on a rim for a second spare without breaking the bank.

I’d stick with narrow and tall, they are better in snow and give you more clearance for chains in the front.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back