Tire guru's I need help. Yes, another tire thread....

Shangobango

I am buying a new set of A/T tires for my new to me Tacoma. I am honestly surprised at how hard it is for me to decide which tire to buy.

My questions are:

1. How much of a difference in ride quality am I going to see between a load range D and a load range E, all other things being equal?

2. One of the tires I am looking at is available only in a SL load range in the stock tire size on the Taco which is 265/70/16. If I move to a 265/75/16 it is a D load range. Is it possible for that bit of extra sidewall height to cause issues with the electronically controlled transmission shifting out right in the Taco? I also want to be able to use chains and I am concerned that extra sidewall height might be an issue there as well.

I'd appreciate thoughts on this.

What year of truck? Not sure the answer to questions, but I know a lot of taco owners move up to 265/75s, and bigger. I have 235/85r16s on my truck, which are about same hight as the 265/75s. I haven't noticed any difference in shifting, although the truck had even taller tires on it when I bought it. I'd recommend checking out the forum tacomaworld.com. Lots of tire threads on the forum.

I wouldn't think the extra sidewall height would be an issue for chains. Its only a bit more than a centimeter. But I could be wrong. Sometimes the bag the chains came in will list the tire sizes they will fit.

Without a lift, you'll only be able to put chains on the back which is better than not.

Difference between D and E is minimal. E load are probably not necessary. Fuel Mileage will drop by around 2 mpg (possibly more at higher highway speeds)

Definitely look at Tacoma World for since there are probably 3500 tire conversations.

Without a lift, you'll only be able to put chains on the back which is better than not.

Difference between D and E is minimal. E load are probably not necessary. Fuel Mileage will drop by around 2 mpg (possibly more at higher highway speeds)

Definitely look at Tacoma World for since there are probably 3500 tire conversations.

So even with stock size I won't be able to chain up the front?

Pretty sure Tacoma is the same as 4-Runner in this regard:

■ Tire chain installation
Observe the following precautions when installing and removing chains:
●Install and remove tire chains in a safe location.
● Install tire chains on the rear tires. Do not install tire chains on the front tires.
●Install tire chains on rear tires as tightly as possible. Retighten chains after driving 1/4  1/2 mile (0.5  1.0 km).
●Install tire chains following the instructions provided with the tire chains.

Yeah I think they are right about the gen three and chains on the front. Mine is a gen 1 so I don't have that issue. I wouldn't get those cables though. I doubt they would hold up or be of any help in a situation in which you would need chains in your truck.

I'm not certain what my 1500 hand when I bought it, but when I switched to ko2 that were E (10 ply), the ride got significantly rougher, and I lost 2-3 mpg.

I like the tires when I have the trailer hooked up tho, stiffens the ride for sure.

I would say if you aren't towing, the 10 ply may be over kill. Old Yukon with like 4 ply rides like a dream in comparison

If you are going to be off road a lot, I would run an E and just put less air in them. You can get away with 40-50 psi in and E range, which will help improve the ride, and you'll have a super tough tire.

You don’t need 40-50 psi in a Taco. Try 32-34.

You’ll see very little difference between D and E as far as ride quality. I wouldn’t worry about the extra sidewall and shifting, but you may get a little rubbing at full wheel lock.

Any pickup with 4 ply tires is a pavement vehicle IMO.

The choice is between D and E.
I will only buy E tires, but I also drive the clinker/shale roads of SE Montana every day. You may decide that the extra mpg is worth the bigger chance of a flat tire when you are in MT. DO NOT DRIVE ON THE CLINKER/SHALE ROADS WITH 4 PLY TIRES.

i have a 2020 w 3" front and 2" rear lift running 285/75/16 e rated goodyear kevlar mt,s////all tacomas are geared a bit high for larger tires//gear change is something to consider if you have a automatic and ever want to get it in 6th gear//no go on front chains unless you install 1" spacers even w lift//i run e rated tires but im running at 32psi/no need to run max air on a lightweight taco//good luck.

I'm shopping for tires for my 2017 right now, man. Not sure where you daily drive, but you probably don't need E rated. I'm going to stick with an SL AT tire as most of my driving is done on highways and city streets, with potential for a bunch of snow, 7mo a year.

As far as chains go, stick with the stock aspect ratio and you're only going to be able to chain the rear. The general rule on sizing up without a lift is 3%, but that doesn't factor in chains at all. The difference between 70's and 75's is ~3.3%. 75's will rub at full lock with minimal amount of flex in the suspension and isn't recommended by most people who aren't "Mall Crawlers".

It's a bit overwhelming with the level of info available, but I'd suggest you sign up for the TacomaWorld message board. They're definitely cult members, but they know their trucks. https://tacomaworld.com

I have BFG KO2's on my Tacoma. I am on my 3rd set and have not had issues with any of them. My tacoma sees a ton of offroad and these tires have been everything I need. I run them with 35lbs pressure and the ride is very good.

I run off road quite a bit down here and am on my third set of C rated Firestone A/T’s and have had zero issues on my old Tacoma but we have no rocks. Hell the "gravel" roads here are mostly dirt. But since I am going to be spending at least a couple weeks a year out west for the foreseeable future I need to gear up.

I did some research and it is indeed a space issue between the sidewall and steering arm that doesn't let you chain up the front.

I decided on E rated tires in stock size. Just going to run them with 30-35 lbs of pressure.

I have E duratracs on my 2004 F 150 and run about 42 psi. Seems to be the sweet spot. I'm sure 35ish would be good for the Tacoma.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back