Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Tire guru's I need help. Yes, another tire thread....

Shangobango

I am buying a new set of A/T tires for my new to me Tacoma. I am honestly surprised at how hard it is for me to decide which tire to buy.

My questions are:

1. How much of a difference in ride quality am I going to see between a load range D and a load range E, all other things being equal?

2. One of the tires I am looking at is available only in a SL load range in the stock tire size on the Taco which is 265/70/16. If I move to a 265/75/16 it is a D load range. Is it possible for that bit of extra sidewall height to cause issues with the electronically controlled transmission shifting out right in the Taco? I also want to be able to use chains and I am concerned that extra sidewall height might be an issue there as well.

I'd appreciate thoughts on this.

What year of truck? Not sure the answer to questions, but I know a lot of taco owners move up to 265/75s, and bigger. I have 235/85r16s on my truck, which are about same hight as the 265/75s. I haven't noticed any difference in shifting, although the truck had even taller tires on it when I bought it. I'd recommend checking out the forum tacomaworld.com. Lots of tire threads on the forum.

I wouldn't think the extra sidewall height would be an issue for chains. Its only a bit more than a centimeter. But I could be wrong. Sometimes the bag the chains came in will list the tire sizes they will fit.

Without a lift, you'll only be able to put chains on the back which is better than not.

Difference between D and E is minimal. E load are probably not necessary. Fuel Mileage will drop by around 2 mpg (possibly more at higher highway speeds)

Definitely look at Tacoma World for since there are probably 3500 tire conversations.

Without a lift, you'll only be able to put chains on the back which is better than not.

Difference between D and E is minimal. E load are probably not necessary. Fuel Mileage will drop by around 2 mpg (possibly more at higher highway speeds)

Definitely look at Tacoma World for since there are probably 3500 tire conversations.

So even with stock size I won't be able to chain up the front?

Pretty sure Tacoma is the same as 4-Runner in this regard:

■ Tire chain installation
Observe the following precautions when installing and removing chains:
●Install and remove tire chains in a safe location.
● Install tire chains on the rear tires. Do not install tire chains on the front tires.
●Install tire chains on rear tires as tightly as possible. Retighten chains after driving 1/4  1/2 mile (0.5  1.0 km).
●Install tire chains following the instructions provided with the tire chains.

Yeah I think they are right about the gen three and chains on the front. Mine is a gen 1 so I don't have that issue. I wouldn't get those cables though. I doubt they would hold up or be of any help in a situation in which you would need chains in your truck.

I'm not certain what my 1500 hand when I bought it, but when I switched to ko2 that were E (10 ply), the ride got significantly rougher, and I lost 2-3 mpg.

I like the tires when I have the trailer hooked up tho, stiffens the ride for sure.

I would say if you aren't towing, the 10 ply may be over kill. Old Yukon with like 4 ply rides like a dream in comparison

If you are going to be off road a lot, I would run an E and just put less air in them. You can get away with 40-50 psi in and E range, which will help improve the ride, and you'll have a super tough tire.

You don’t need 40-50 psi in a Taco. Try 32-34.

You’ll see very little difference between D and E as far as ride quality. I wouldn’t worry about the extra sidewall and shifting, but you may get a little rubbing at full wheel lock.

Any pickup with 4 ply tires is a pavement vehicle IMO.

The choice is between D and E.
I will only buy E tires, but I also drive the clinker/shale roads of SE Montana every day. You may decide that the extra mpg is worth the bigger chance of a flat tire when you are in MT. DO NOT DRIVE ON THE CLINKER/SHALE ROADS WITH 4 PLY TIRES.

i have a 2020 w 3" front and 2" rear lift running 285/75/16 e rated goodyear kevlar mt,s////all tacomas are geared a bit high for larger tires//gear change is something to consider if you have a automatic and ever want to get it in 6th gear//no go on front chains unless you install 1" spacers even w lift//i run e rated tires but im running at 32psi/no need to run max air on a lightweight taco//good luck.

I'm shopping for tires for my 2017 right now, man. Not sure where you daily drive, but you probably don't need E rated. I'm going to stick with an SL AT tire as most of my driving is done on highways and city streets, with potential for a bunch of snow, 7mo a year.

As far as chains go, stick with the stock aspect ratio and you're only going to be able to chain the rear. The general rule on sizing up without a lift is 3%, but that doesn't factor in chains at all. The difference between 70's and 75's is ~3.3%. 75's will rub at full lock with minimal amount of flex in the suspension and isn't recommended by most people who aren't "Mall Crawlers".

It's a bit overwhelming with the level of info available, but I'd suggest you sign up for the TacomaWorld message board. They're definitely cult members, but they know their trucks. https://tacomaworld.com

I have BFG KO2's on my Tacoma. I am on my 3rd set and have not had issues with any of them. My tacoma sees a ton of offroad and these tires have been everything I need. I run them with 35lbs pressure and the ride is very good.

I run off road quite a bit down here and am on my third set of C rated Firestone A/T’s and have had zero issues on my old Tacoma but we have no rocks. Hell the "gravel" roads here are mostly dirt. But since I am going to be spending at least a couple weeks a year out west for the foreseeable future I need to gear up.

I did some research and it is indeed a space issue between the sidewall and steering arm that doesn't let you chain up the front.

I decided on E rated tires in stock size. Just going to run them with 30-35 lbs of pressure.

I have E duratracs on my 2004 F 150 and run about 42 psi. Seems to be the sweet spot. I'm sure 35ish would be good for the Tacoma.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back