Tire chains

Epfd217

Are they all pretty much the same? What do you recommend for a midwestern flatlander who plans on visiting the west in November and December for some late season elk hunting.

The people we spoke with on the phone said chains are almost required in about half of the area we hope to reach.

Any tire chains for a pickup truck that are worth their weight?

Check out etrailer.com. Bought a set there last year. Tried the cable type first but they didn't fit my tire/rim configuration so went with a set of regular chain type.

You can get many styles of cross link configurations. You can get twisted links in different weights and round or flat links or you can get vbar cross links with either a straight bar or v. If you just intend on getting out of mud or snow the twisted chain is fine but if you have a chance of ice from an over flowing spring etc v-bar chains will bite and keep you from sliding as much. The next is weather you want latches inside and out or a latch outside and a hook inside. I recommend the hook inside for first timers.
You may never have to repair your chains but I recommend a pair of chain pliers and a few extra cross links. You can go one or both on either using rubber snubbers flat or round. You can get chians with cam over tighteners on one side or both wich help take the slack out in a bad situation and remember your chains should have some extra links in case you get in a bad spot and need the extra links to get them on, almost forgot to say you should have some tie wire or zip ties to tie up those extra links to keep them from hooking a brake line or the fender.
The best is to put chains on before you get in trouble but it never happens that way.

Last edited:
Like said above the v bar design with just the hook on the inside. I couple sets of screw in chain links and some heavy zip ties are handy too. I just have one set for my front tires and go places I shouldn't be.

1st check owners manual for recomendations,some vehicles they can only go on back unless front is modified.
My Tacoma case in point,no chains on front.I have only needed them a few times and on the back as it's so light.
I'll be getting some for the new F150 4x4,but my Tacoma is the bad weather king.
I use full chain v links,donut rings tensioners and zipties for ends,or bailing wire in pinch...cables are for lesbarus................city folks.

Chains are good to rescue you when you places that you know you should not go. I put front chains on first and normally that gets me going. I have had to put chains on all 4 but rarely , which may mean I am not as brave (or crazy) as some others.

Be careful!
All chains are not created equal. Get beefy chains!
Your local 4x4 shop should help u
Get all four locked up - and you should have good luck.
Snow shoes as your back up and have fun!

Be careful!
All chains are not created equal. Get beefy chains!
Your local 4x4 shop should help u
Get all four locked up - and you should have good luck.
Snow shoes as your back up and have fun!

Yes absolutely get the most heavy duty chains you can it would really suck to have your chains break when you need them most.
Also make sure you re-tighten them after a few hundred feet, a loose chain will tear up your truck real fast.

Yes absolutely get the most heavy duty chains you can it would really suck to have your chains break when you need them most.
Also make sure you re-tighten them after a few hundred feet, a loose chain will tear up your truck real fast.

THIS!! Ditto!

I bought all the parts and put my chains together myself.Had a little over $100 in the set of 4.

After 30 plus years of using chains, I wouldn't screw around with anything but cam locks. If you plan to really use them, chains are not the place to try to save a buck. You'll be real sorry. mtmuley

I wouldn't screw around with anything but cam locks.
Yep, he's so correct ... and now there are some really great spider web type rubber chain tighteners available. The cams and the tighteners make for a chain installation that eliminates the frostbit finger potential.

Here's a little tip. I have several sets of tire chains. One thing I have found is that after you use them and put them away, they rust up pretty quick. What I have started doing is I dip them in Andy stoe's speed dip. It is designed to protect traps but it works great with all sorts of metal stuff. You just mix the speed dip with gasoline and then dip the (cleaned)chains in it. Hang the chains up and in a couple days, depending on the temperature, the chains are dry and fully protected and you won't get all dirty putting rusty chains on you rig.

If/when you buy chains, make sure they fit very first thing. Truck before last didn't have enough side-clearance because of non standard size wheels/tires that somebody had put on it. Just something you may want to consider.

Thanks for the tips so far and thanks to Jabber for the link. I failed the "did you search first" test.

I'm going to have to check my owners manual for usage recommendations. For something so basic there certainly is a lot of variation and choices available. Some of you guys talk about chains like they are fuel injection.

Cam-locks are a plus for taking extra slack up. Even with heavy chains you will still get broken cross links and the cross link hooks will still get spread and that's where the chain pliers help with chain maintenance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back