Tire Chains for an Elk Hunt

Southern Elk

This old southern boy needs some advice. I will be hunting in SW MT for elk in November. This is only my second time to not hunt archery season. Hunting in September, I never saw the need for chains. Last year in early November I found out that I couldn't get to some of the spots that I wanted to, because I didn't have tire chains. I actually borrowed a set of chains from a friend who said they would fit, but they were too small for my tires.
Anyway, I have a 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy with a Duramax engine. I will be hunting in the mountains. I think I need more of a snow chain than mud chain, if there is any difference. Please recommend the type of chain that I need for my application. Where's the best place to get them? Do I need to chain up the front and the rear? I know I need a set for the rear, because the lightweight rear end tries to slide sideways in snow and ice.

Chains are chains IMHO. When I've broken a link, I've just used regular chain to replace them with. They all bite.

My preference is the v-bar type. They hold better on ice and slide sideways less IMO. Rural King or Tractor Supply should have them or an auto parts store can order them. Take your tire size in with you. Otherwise, order them over internet. Get 2 sets to cover front and rear. Go slow when you have them on. I've pulled a lot of trucks off of snow drifts because they decided to hit it harder. Then they got high centered. That is a PITA. On that note, make sure you have a shovel in your truck all of the time.

One thing to note. Check your owners manual or with your dealership on whether or not you can use chains on the front. Some of the newer trucks don't have enough clearance and the chains will get into the fenders. A 3/4 ton should be fine, but it is cheaper to find out before you eat a fender.

Go to a Les Schwab and get a set of cam-lock V-bar chains for your rig. They are fantastic and if you do not end up using them, you can return them and get your money back on them.

The V-bars will give you better traction, but I just have the standard style. I've driven through some pretty deep stuff with them. I would have a set of four if it were me. Don't forget some sandbags in the back of the truck. Take a scoop shovel, not a standard style. Some extra bungee tighteners are good also.

My preference is the v-bar type. They hold better on ice and slide sideways less IMO. Rural King or Tractor Supply should have them or an auto parts store can order them. Take your tire size in with you. Otherwise, order them over internet. Get 2 sets to cover front and rear. Go slow when you have them on. I've pulled a lot of trucks off of snow drifts because they decided to hit it harder. Then they got high centered. That is a PITA. On that note, make sure you have a shovel in your truck all of the time.

One thing to note. Check your owners manual or with your dealership on whether or not you can use chains on the front. Some of the newer trucks don't have enough clearance and the chains will get into the fenders. A 3/4 ton should be fine, but it is cheaper to find out before you eat a fender.

This ^^. If you don't' have a lift or a leveling kit, you may have trouble with the fronts due to clearance. I've got a set or two from Tirechain.com. Reasonably priced and pretty quick delivery. Up here in PA and northern WV you can get chains at wallyworld. You may be able to buy from there online and have them shipped to your local store. Cabelas also carries them I believe.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned earlier that I'm worried about clearance on the front. I put slightly larger than stock tires on it. Leveling it is as simple as righting the torsion bars and getting an alignment though, so that is an option, if I absolutely need to chain up all 4.

Chains on the rear only will get you in a whole lot of trouble .

Definitely front and back v-bar with tighteners. It seems like a PIA, but when it gets slick take the time to get out and put them on. Don't wait until it's too late!

They all work, but the v-bar is better if it is icy out, it grips much better. that being said, a good pair of v-bar chains are $150 + but they sure give you peace of mind in the mountains. also, with the newer trucks and SUV's, NEVER chain up just the front axle, as it can screw up the 4wd and ABS brakes. and don't waste time with the car style cable chains, they aren't worth the metal they are made of.

Last edited:
This old southern boy needs some advice. I will be hunting in SW MT for elk in November. This is only my second time to not hunt archery season. Hunting in September, I never saw the need for chains. Last year in early November I found out that I couldn't get to some of the spots that I wanted to, because I didn't have tire chains. I actually borrowed a set of chains from a friend who said they would fit, but they were too small for my tires.
Anyway, I have a 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy with a Duramax engine. I will be hunting in the mountains. I think I need more of a snow chain than mud chain, if there is any difference. Please recommend the type of chain that I need for my application. Where's the best place to get them? Do I need to chain up the front and the rear? I know I need a set for the rear, because the lightweight rear end tries to slide sideways in snow and ice.

I would suggest getting them in SW Montana when you arrive. You can pick them up almost anywhere, Napa, Les Schwab, Murdochs, Quality Supply, etc. and get the correct size to fit your tires, all four, and chain tighteners.

Before you chain up check the clearance of your tires front and back. If you have a few inches that will not be enough. When you accelerate or spin the chains expand and will hit your fenders or mud flaps and tear the heck out of everything. When you chain up try to get them as tight as possible then drive a short distance and re tighten them.
Dan

Go to a Les Schwab and get a set of cam-lock V-bar chains for your rig. They are fantastic and if you do not end up using them, you can return them and get your money back on them.

Get these. And chain the front. Don't crank the torsion bars to lift your truck. mtmuley

Thanks for all of the recommendations/advice. I like the idea of getting them once I get there. I will be coming through Billings and Bozeman. There doesn't appear to be a Les Schwab in either town. Can you guys recommend a good place in either town?

Get these. And chain the front. Don't crank the torsion bars to lift your truck. mtmuley

I don't want to get too far off topic, but it's actually the preferred method of leveling for most folks that have the same model truck as mine. You actually adjust the torsion bar preload adjusters (bolts).

Whatever you get test fit them prior to heading out. Don't take the salesman's word for it. Put them on before you get stuck! If you get stuck with all 4 chained up you are really screwed and probably doing something that was not too smart to begin with...

I've done every dumb thing that is possible when it comes to getting stuck. Maybe I'll learn someday.

Chains. I always take a set with me but never have needed them. But good insurance.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back