Caribou Gear Tarp

Tips needed for antelope in Wyo

Well guess I'm wrong but I'm betting majority drop in Nov.
I do know the new horns start pushing the old ones off during the season.
I've taken many late Oct bucks and never had any pull off like my Nov. harvests.
I wonder if conditions affect that .
Either way it does not affect scoring of a buck, the horns will be re attached before scoring. Just slip them back on for pics on the field.

Should of known Buzz would have proof of them dropping in Oct !! Thanks Buzz , my experience was not in line with yours.

Most do drop in November, last fall I noticed mature bucks into December with both or one horn still attached. Weather most likely the deciding factor.

Also, horn sheaths do not have to be reattached for purposes of official scoring.

Well guess I'm wrong but I'm betting majority drop in Nov.
I do know the new horns start pushing the old ones off during the season.
I've taken many late Oct bucks and never had any pull off like my Nov. harvests.
I wonder if conditions affect that .
Either way it does not affect scoring of a buck, the horns will be re attached before scoring. Just slip them back on for pics on the field.

Should of known Buzz would have proof of them dropping in Oct !! Thanks Buzz , my experience was not in line with yours.

Actually it was kind of nice having them pop right off...better than having to rot them off.

I think conditions may impact it some, probably varies between pronghorns too I bet.

Was wondering if I could get some help as I’m a newbie hunter for Wyoming. I live in Hawaii and drew a deer and antelope tag for October and was wondering how to hunt this hard unit. Never hunted anything in the states so new experience, any help would be appreciated.
Most coal mines will fence their perimeter. Usually good signage.
You are going to do a LOT of driving hunting antelope. You may have to hike to a ridge to glass country you can't see from the road, but most antelope you will see from the road.
If you are on a National Grasslands, get a USFS map. If the unit is mostly BLM, get a BLM map. Both show land ownership

I am going to slightly differ in what others offered in public land antelope. Once they feel hunting pressure, some DO move to private but not always. Least not my experience.

No matter where you choose to hunt them, know that public land pronghorns feel hunting pressure. You’ll need to walk into country not marred with roads. You should seek to locate several parcels that don’t have roads within at least 2 square miles or more of their interior. The majority of Americans are out of shape according to government data so you simply need to get away from the road hunters that most of that crowd is likely to be.

Don’t overlook rough country, either. Even though pronghorns prefer to lounge in open country, they’ll dive into canyons and hide on the edges of timber once hunting pressure peaks. They still seem to prefer to stay close to their home range. They know where the areas are that hunters do not go to and go there. Private just happens to be one of them, but not the only one. Locate on your map as I said above sections of land that have no roads or maybe two tracks on very rugged and steep terrain. More often than that though, I didn't have to go too far when I got out of my pickup to walk out to a ridge or crest of a hill to glass for antelope just to find them within 50 yards shooting distance.

Once antelope no longer feel the hunting pressure, they generally return to their preferred home range.

I will concur with WyoDoug. The fact that you are hunting an area with little public land does change some of what I wrote. But there is a lot of driving to find antelope.

You know in areas of difficult low public land access, I would do two things: (1) talk to private land owners and try to get access. At least try and don't get discourage when the first few say no. Those who have irrigated fields especially are prone to let you hunt IF you respect their property and follow etiquette accordingly. Talk to them and get them comfortable with you and demonstrate that you are a responsible hunter. (2) Hunt the edges of private land. Be sure of your location and use On-X and be proficient with it. You do not want to shoot an antelope in the border areas unless it's clearly on public and has little to no chance of wandering onto private after you shoot it. You want to get a quick kill shot if possible which is usually broadside heart and lung shot.

I would also plan on a ton of walking. I drive to get from point A to point B but I hunt antelope on foot most of the time or I do blind hunting using my blind or I sit in my pickup and wait for one to come along. Antelope that go into private often cross the boundaries in the night and if you are in the right spot, you can catch them moving away from hunting pressure onto private just by hunting outisde the edges of private property. I have found best time to hunt this scenario is early in the morning and after dinner time to end of legal shooting light.

I also look for the draws and depressions because antelope under pressure like to hide in those especially if they are a distance from the roads. I approach these upwind and try to use a hill or vegetation as cover so I am not seen. A herd of antelope will often have one of the young bucks acting as a sentry. If you run into that a cow or antelope decoy sometimes works to get closer. I often will walk a few miles if I find a few sections of land with no roads in the middle.

Flagging is legal in Wyoming and it don't have to be white. WGF gave me an orange one several years ago and I still use it. I take a piece of rebar and pound it into the ground then tie the flag to it and find a good place with cover to watch. Antelope will often circle that and move in closer.

Another thing, e-scout your water sources. During hunting pressure, antelope need lots of water. If the bulk of your water sources are on the public, the antelope will bounce back to get water. Look for water sources away from roads.

Sorry I’m a little dumb when it comes to explaining things lol. Yes I do plan on jumping out and putting on the miles. I have a unit with limited access to the land. I have no clue if coal and mining roads are open to drive on or what. And October is rut for antelope correct?
I always find ordering a map with the roads and property boundaries marked, helps me with a new unit. Just got mine for Area 48 in WY.

Back