Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tips needed for antelope in Wyo

Seth23

Was wondering if I could get some help as I’m a newbie hunter for Wyoming. I live in Hawaii and drew a deer and antelope tag for October and was wondering how to hunt this hard unit. Never hunted anything in the states so new experience, any help would be appreciated.

Get out of your truck and hike. That’s the first step! Then find em!

If you have specific questions we would be happy to help but a general question of what do I do isnt going to get you much information.

Sorry I’m a little dumb when it comes to explaining things lol. Yes I do plan on jumping out and putting on the miles. I have a unit with limited access to the land. I have no clue if coal and mining roads are open to drive on or what. And October is rut for antelope correct?

Sorry I’m a little dumb when it comes to explaining things lol. Yes I do plan on jumping out and putting on the miles. I have a unit with limited access to the land. I have no clue if coal and mining roads are open to drive on or what. And October is rut for antelope correct?
If the roads cross private assume it’s a no go. Most of the roads are not marked when you are out there. Check the county website for county roads map. Make sure you have onx. And the unit I hunt on the regular peak rut seems to be the end of September. I could be wrong though.

If the roads cross private assume it’s a no go. Most of the roads are not marked when you are out there. Check the county website for county roads map. Make sure you have onx. And the unit I hunt on the regular peak rut seems to be the end of September. I could be wrong though.
Thanks for the help!

Welcome to HT! Most of the really hard access units have been posted about on here at some point or another, so you may be able to find someone who’s already done some of the work for you. Just pay attention to the county roads on the Wyoming hunt site map—those are your friends, as if they’re county maintained, you can use them even across private.

Seth look up the county Road and Bridge Department website, it will have a map of county roads. Contact the Superintendent of Road and Bridge dept for questions about specific roads. They may maintain some roads to ranches without them being public, they will show up on the map.
Make sure you check online at the landowners assistant page on WG&F website just in case someone allows hunting.

OnX is also needed as stated.

Pronghorn bucks can start tossing their horns in October so you may encounter hornless black-cheek patch bucks. Pronghorn that get shot at get very spooky after first couple of days in a unit that has lots of hunters. I would avoid first 10 days nonetheless as will be safer for you. Now, if you had a tag for a unit with fewer tags and more public land then I would arrive two days early to scout. Sounds like your pronghorn unit will be pounded early in the season.

Pronghorn can respond to waving a white flag on a pole. I use my hiking stick. I have also gotten closer to bucks using a cow decoy Ol Red that you can buy. Again, pronghorn that have been shot at a lot will be skittish and not as willing to be curious so just take off running. I have hunted easy to draw WY pronghorn units and have seen a string of 20 pronghorn have 6 different groups shooting at them as they head across BLM land on opening day. Where the bullets go is debatable but the safety of the situation is compromised if you are in rifle range of those shooters.

Hiking away from the road is good though I have hiked two miles and never gotten more than 1/4 mile from another hunter. Pronghorn will run until the shooting stops and that usually means they wandered onto private land and they may not get bumped or wander off of private for days.

Wyoming has some wonderful scenery so stay safe and hunt hard.

Pronghorn will not start dropping horns in Oct in Wyoming, it is usually November when that happens.

You sure about that?

The day I shot this buck from a herd of about 80 in Wyoming, there was one mature buck that had dropped both and 2 others with one horn each in that herd, October 27.

1029141048c32.jpg

Shot this one October 23 in Montana, went to drag it to the road by the horns, both of the horns popped off within the first 50 feet.

buzzant2.JPG

You sure about that?

The day I shot this buck from a herd of about 80 in Wyoming, there was one mature buck that had dropped both and 2 others with one horn each in that herd, October 27.

1029141048c32.jpg

Shot this one October 23 in Montana, went to drag it to the road by the horns, both of the horns popped off within the first 50 feet.

buzzant2.JPG
Is that a flat brim before flat brims were cool?

Well guess I'm wrong but I'm betting majority drop in Nov.
I do know the new horns start pushing the old ones off during the season.
I've taken many late Oct bucks and never had any pull off like my Nov. harvests.
I wonder if conditions affect that .
Either way it does not affect scoring of a buck, the horns will be re attached before scoring. Just slip them back on for pics on the field.

Should of known Buzz would have proof of them dropping in Oct !! Thanks Buzz , my experience was not in line with yours.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back