Time to retire the Buck 110

warmer

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 12, 2010
Messages
1,271
Location
SE South Dakota
I've had my Buck Knife 110 since 1982, got it for Christmas from Mom and Dad. That knife has been used on every deer I've killed and all the elk I or my kids have killed. I used it last Saturday night to skin and cut-up my daughters elk. It's like part of me when I'm in the field. Hell, I wore it on my belt in high school, try that now! Anyway, I had to sharpen it pretty regular last saturday and I think it's time for an upgrade.
Looking at a Benchmade or maybe a Havalon with replaceable blades. Not sure I really need a $400 knife, but not sure if the replaceable blade works like advertised.
What experience does anyone have that they'd care to share?
 
Havalons do great work cutting critters up, but they don't allow for the emotional attachment that a good hunting knife brings with it.

Get both, and then make sure the nice knife holds as many memories as the old Buck so your heirs can have a piece of your history when you pass it on. The Havalon is a good tool to have. A nice hunting knife is a story in and of itself.
 
I went havalon then got nervous about how sharp they actually are and how tough it is to change the blades in the field, went to a benchmade for a while, but eventually went back to the havalon. They're just so freaking sharp and I don't have to mess with sharpening, and it weighs nothing. You can get a lifetime supply of blades on Amazon for a couple of bucks.
 
I never liked the clip point of the 110, but Buck makes lots of 110 models now including a Magnacut bladed model and a thin one with a belt clip. If you like 110, I consider one of those new models. It would be an upgrade without being something completely different.

I'm partial to Benchmade folders and usually use a fixed blade to field dress.
 
I use the outdoor edge with replaceable blades. I like it is a stiffer blade than the havalon. works great for gutting and skinning. I also carry a fixed blade buck knife for boning. I always wear a filet glove on my non blade hand with a rubber glove over it.
 
'Acquired two Buck folders in Hawaii during Vietnam 1970 R&R break, one for older brother antelope hunting fanatic and one for me. As shown by photo, this knife has served well in field dressing many downed antelope, deer, and elk.
Buck knife.jpg

My son recently gifted me a Montana Knife Company beauty, which should be a great replacement. (Albeit, I'll still use the Buck for some things.)

Fathers Day 2026 Jeff.jpg
 
Benchmade makes some really nice stuff I have a large fixed blade and an auto opener that were both issued to me for deployments, as well as a Meatcrafter I use for butchering/meat work. All hold edges well and are great. The Meatcrafter is valuable in processing. I also have an Outdoor Edge replaceable and( as mentioned above, gives the benefits of replaceable but is much stiffer and easier to change blades than the Havalon. I am a bit of a knife whore and have a bunch of others as well. Probably my favorite is a Mora 6' Allround with a grippy cushioned grip(which they don't make any more). The Mora knives are VERY sharp and easier to keep that way. Made in Sweden and, for some reason, pretty dang cheap. https://ragweedforgestore.com/collections/mora-1
 
Touching up a blade a couple times while butchering an animal doesn't mean there is an issue with the knife. Knives that dull easily also sharpen easily, within seconds even.

I'm glad I've never caught the bug to get a "nice" knife. The last thing I need is another compulsion to spend money on!
 
Fixed or folding blade knives never run out of/lose blades like Havalons or the Razor pros. This year I got out my Great grandfather's fixed blade Kinfolks brand knife before the Elk hunt. Ironically the Hunter's first comment was on the knife on my belt, complimenting it. I gutted 2 blacktails and an elk in 24 hours and used it to joint the legs and open up the cape and legs.

I carry a pocket steel like this one to touch up the blade and hit the honing stone after each day is done. I really think the art and science of getting a knife blade sharp is a skill that is worth more than a name brand "nice" knife. Thousands of people make their living with commercial skinners and boning knives that cost less than a good steak.


1791558788930.png

For Folks who are spooked about sharpening on a stone one of these is a good tool for muscle memory for blade angle :

1791559218638.png

That said, I have a Havalon knock off and Razor pro in my kill kit in my pack. I can lend those to folks and not be heartbroken when they lose them or break them.

The picture of the Buck 110 up thread with the blade 1/2 it's original width is the sign of a well used tool that should be cherished as a keepsake and replaced on the belt with its younger brother.
 
I like my Benchmade Steep Country. I bought it used a number of years ago. It holds an edge very well. That said, I also like my Victorinox Fibrox knives that get used for all the butchering. I would have no regrets having a Victorinox as my only field knife.
 
Another vote for another 110. I'll use a replaceable blade knife for going through hide and skinning, but for working around bone and quartering I prefer to use either my 110 or 112.
 
Switched to a havalon years ago and never looked back. I've used them on antelope to moose with no issue at all. Cheap blades on Amazon. I can't see myself ever going back to a fixed or folding blade knife.
 
Do yourself a favor and get another fixed blade. Replaceable blades are dumb and you deserve something with a soul. Watch for some of the knives that @NDGuy puts together
 
What is actually wrong with the knife that would need to replace it?
Just keep sharpening it like Straight Arrow has done. You'll probably wear out before the knife does.
 
I had a Buck Vanguard I liked and used for several animals. What I didn't like is the edge retention left a lot to be desired.

I bought a knives of Alaska last year and liked it. Quartered one elke and one deer last year with it. Got through each without having to sharpen. It was less then the Benchmade equivalent and less than half of what MKC asks. Worth checking out if you're in the market.
 
Back
Top