Caribou Gear

Time For A New Mattress

King size sleep number. Got it about 7 years ago. If I sleep on any other bed now my back and shoulders hurt horribly. It always stays cool and just way more comfortable than any other bed in our house. It was worth every penny.

Timely post.
I just realized I have an ancient mattress & box spring ,in the I get my great uncles bed deal. The ex got my Sealy posture pedic in the trade...lol 13 years ago. I'm pretty sure my folks got the mattress set 50 years ago....LOL used.

I really dislike the newer 2 foot thick mattress' ,as much as the foam ones. Lucky for me I have a single now.
That Sealy queen cost me a small fortune 25 years ago.

Time to e-splore some names.

Timely post.
I just realized I have an ancient mattress & box spring ,in the I get my great uncles bed deal. The ex got my Sealy posture pedic in the trade...lol 13 years ago. I'm pretty sure my folks got the mattress set 50 years ago....LOL used.

I really dislike the newer 2 foot thick mattress' ,as much as the foam ones. Lucky for me I have a single now.
That Sealy queen cost me a small fortune 25 years ago.

Time to e-splore some names.
I hate the two foot thick ones too. I have my grandparents' maple bedframe handed down to my parents and then to wife and I. Thirty years ago I refinished it. Now half the wood on the headboard is buried under mattress. New fat mattress sheets won't fit the spare twin bed with conventional mattress. Too baggy.

Hooked on TempurPedic...
My current one is a sterns and foster version of a temperpedic, with a pillow top. We paid a small(or not small) fortune for it but it’s junk. Seems like it has zero support and I end up in a “V” as my ass sinks in. Wife says I don’t have a fat ass so I think it’s the bed.

My current one is a sterns and foster version of a temperpedic, with a pillow top. We paid a small(or not small) fortune for it but it’s junk. Seems like it has zero support and I end up in a “V” as my ass sinks in. Wife says I don’t have a fat ass so I think it’s the bed.
What did you expect her to say? Loved one won't hurt you with that kind of truth. My late wife always called me "Satchel Ass". Not sure what she meant by that. Guess I was always afraid to ask.

We purchased a Purple mattress in 2020. The first month was weird. It felt like I was slightly uncomfortable when trying to go to sleep, but I would wake up without the aches of the former pillow top.
Get some friends to help you move the sob though. I thought I'd be cool in front of the FedEx lady and throw it over my shoulder. I was committed to the act before I realized the weight, so of course I held it until she left the drive

My wife and I bought a Sleep Number about 4 years ago. It was one of the mid-range models that had recently been discontinued, so we got a discount on it. I asked the associate what the more expensive models had and she explained “more padding”. I found that extra padding to be uncomfortable, and the model we bought works great.

The worst part of a Sleep Number is the cheap modular plastic platform that they sell. Instead of buying this I built my own platform-style bed frame, which cost the same, except it’s far sturdier and looks much better. I can describe how to make one if you’re interested.

Sleep Number tried to make us pay a delivery fee since they “don’t allow” pickup. I negotiated for free delivery. We also negotiated for a free extra remote.

Sleep Number markets (or used to market) the “Sleep IQ” to track sleep patterns, etc. The same exact features can be downloaded for free as a cellphone app.

One disadvantage of Sleep Number is if the batteries in both remotes die, it will slowly deflate. Just check the batteries every 6 months or so.

Sleep Number is expensive compared to other brands, but if you shop wisely for a model that meets your needs, look for sales or discontinued models, and skip questionable add-on features, you can still get bang for your buck (we did). I think we paid about $3200 all together for mattress, platform/frame, bed set, 4 pillows, and skirt.

On any new mattress it can take up to 6 weeks for your spine to adjust to the surface. I’d suggest finding an initial inflation number that you like, and then stick it out for 6 weeks before tweaking it again.

Lastly, don’t skimp on pillows. My wife and I each have a nice body pillow and premium king-size feather pillows. About half your sleep comfort comes from your pillow.

Last edited:
We purchased a Purple mattress in 2020. The first month was weird. It felt like I was slightly uncomfortable when trying to go to sleep, but I would wake up without the aches of the former pillow top.
Get some friends to help you move the sob though. I thought I'd be cool in front of the FedEx lady and throw it over my shoulder. I was committed to the act before I realized the weight, so of course I held it until she left the drive
One of the best investments I've ever made was my purple mattress.

My wife and I bought a Sleep Number about 4 years ago. It was one of the mid-range models that had recently been discontinued, so we got a discount on it. I asked the associate what the more expensive models had and she explained “more padding”. I found that extra padding to be uncomfortable, and the model we bought works great.

The worst part of a Sleep Number is the cheap modular plastic platform that they sell. Instead of buying this I built my own platform-style bed frame, which cost the same, except it’s far sturdier and looks much better. I can describe how to make one if you’re interested.

Sleep Number tried to make us pay a delivery fee since they “don’t allow” pickup. I negotiated for free delivery. We also negotiated for a free extra remote.

Sleep Number markets (or used to market) the “Sleep IQ” to track sleep patterns, etc. The same exact features can be downloaded for free as a cellphone app.

One disadvantage of Sleep Number is if the batteries in both remotes die, it will slowly deflate. Just check the batteries every 6 months or so.

Sleep Number is expensive compared to other brands, but if you shop wisely for a model that meets your needs, look for sales or discontinued models, and skip questionable add-on features, you can still get bang for your buck (we did). I think we paid about $3200 all together for mattress, platform/frame, bed set, 4 pillows, and skirt.

On any new mattress it can take up to 6 weeks for your spine to adjust to the surface. I’d suggest finding an initial inflation number that you like, and then stick it out for 6 weeks before tweaking it again.

Lastly, don’t skimp on pillows. My wife and I each have a nice body pillow and premium king-size feather pillows. About half your sleep comfort comes from your pillow.
$3200 is a bargain? Wow. That's more than a couple of South African kudu.

I'm in shock.
I just looked at a few ads. Foam, for a grand. For a single. Just a mattress.

The current and prior two mattresses have been Denver Mattress, Doctor's Choice model. Haven't even tried anything else because it works.

We re-up about every 5-6 years.

She's a Tiger.

$3200 is a bargain? Wow. That's more than a couple of South African kudu.
If it was just me I’d find a free bed and go on a hunt. Keeping the wife happy is well worth the $$ though. I kind of need her to watch the kiddos in order to hunt out of state.

If it was just me I’d find a free bed and go on a hunt. Keeping the wife happy is well worth the $$ though. I kind of need her to watch the kiddos in order to hunt out of state.
My partner will make due no matter where we crash. Doesn't snore either, but her farts sure cause havoc with my sleep pattern.20220223_065036.jpg

Our 18 year old Sleep Number finally developed a aneurysm-like bubble on her side and needed to be replaced. We went old school mattress with adjustable frame head and foot elevations.

Friends have told us that their recently purchased Sleep Number beds no longer come with a remote to control the air pump, but instead an app for the smart phone.

Friends have told us that their recently purchased Sleep Number beds no longer come with a remote to control the air pump, but instead an app for the smart phone.
Friends don't let friends have smart phones.

I hate and distrust every direct to tv marketed item, so for years I pooh-poo'd sleep number beds. In the meantime, we went through several top-dollar traditional mattresses and a natural handmade all latex one that cost more than my first new car. Everyone felt great in the showroom but with a year we were having back problems. As an act of desperation we tried sleep number. We were skeptical and figure we were wasting our money but had run out of options.

Wow - were we wrong. It was the perfect bed and it sleeps the same now, 8 years later, as it did that first night. We bought one for the cabin too. I will never buy a traditional mattress again. Sleep Number is the way to go.

Since we were skeptical we bought the most stripped-down version (the C series I think) - they don't even advertise it. They are all the same base technology but you pay for increasing amounts of fluff on the top. We just added the right amount of foam cover to our liking via amazon and saved a lot on the mattress. Buy the air system, skip the bells and whistles.

Last edited:
I think we paid about $3200 all together for mattress, platform/frame, bed set, 4 pillows, and skirt.
For both ours, we just got the c-series base model mattress and used our existing frames/platforms. We paid under $1000 in both cases, but that was a few years back. Looks like you can still get that for under $1500. If your current bed has a sold flat surface under the mattress you are good to go. If you have a "slat" or spring base a sheet of plywood or two gets you there as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back