Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Tikka T3 Lite

Ben Lamb

I inherited a Tikka T3 Lite in 22-250. This is the first Tikka I've ever owned but I absolutely love the action, smoothness of the bolt and it's shooting at about 1 inch or just under with cheap Privi Partisan 55 grain ammo. It has the 1:14 twist so I'll stick with lighter bullets *(under 60 grains) and hope that she remains a screamer.

But there's one annoying aspect to the rifle - the stock. it sounds like I'm shooting a cheap AR stock when I pull the trigger. Some strange twang resonates down the stock. Any idea what causes this? Am I better off ditching the factory stock and getting a B&C? Would love some feedback from other Tikka owners.

I bought a (.270) Tikka T3 Lite primarily for my boys to hunt with and it does not do what you described. It is a great gun. I have had it now for three years with absolutely no issues.

The only thing I personally am not use to is the clip only holds three bullets. I will have to purchase another clip, in the event the clip gets lost. Also, it doesn't hurt to have another clip w/ bullets near by to quickly put in the gun . . . if needed.

My most accurate gun ever is a Tikka T3 Tactical in .223. Love everything about the gun. Has a different stock than the standard T3 lite, but feels solid with no vibration/noise when shooting. Never heard of that issue with the T3 lite before. Looks like there are several threads on longrangehunting.com forums regarding these stocks and potential replacements.

I really like the look of that B&C stock. I guess we know what I'm getting for christmas to go with the VX3 that will replace the vortex diamondback that's on it. :)

Jim - I've been looking at the 5 round replacement mags and think I might pick one up. 3 rounds on a walking varmiter is pretty low. :D

Might try taking the recoil pad off and filling with self expanding foam. I've read of folks doing this to other hollow stocks.

Might try taking the recoil pad off and filling with self expanding foam. I've read of folks doing this to other hollow stocks.

If you'e not concerned about a couple oz's try 100% pure silicone caulk inside the stock.I know recoil reduction isn't your goal but it does help make that hollow sound go away also.

I know what you mean about the "AR" sound. I only picked up the T3s at gun shops, but I can't get over the hollow sounding stock. Just feels a whole lot cheaper than it is. But people absolutely love how they shoot.

Emrah

Huge fan of that action, but I opted for a Savage instead of the Tikka because of it's Tupperware stock. They don't seem to have a great rep with serious shooters (far more experienced than me). They just feel cheap, but man they sure are light. I've also heard decent things about the accuracy, but it just feels like a toy with that stock.

But you can't complain about free... Just slap a B&C on it.

Great tip. I'll give that a shot.
From all accounts, let it fully expand with the pad off then cut off anything that oozes out. Otherwise, it'll build pressure and get to place you don't want it to get.

Though not lighter, Nosler's new bonded 64gr bullet is very short for it's weight being only ~0.8" long. I'm betting you could get it to stabilize at 22-250 speeds. Would make for a nice bambi blaster...

Ben, if you use foam, there are several kinds. Get the low expansion, used for windows and doors. Work slow to avoid air pockets. That stuff can really be trouble. mtmuley

After a long night of soul searching, meditation & yoga, I'm thinking that I will just replace the stock with the b&c. I'll then proceed to burn the barrel out in the next year or two and then get it rebarrelled with a slower twist for the heavier bullets.

Looks like it's sitting in the safe until winter. Thanks for all the replies. Extremely helpful!

Use foam Ben...as in ear plugs...cheap fix.;)

I've always wanted to try a tikka but couldn't pull the 'trigger' on buying. Highly recommend your acquisition method.

After a long night of soul searching, meditation & yoga, I'm thinking that I will just replace the stock with the b&c. I'll then proceed to burn the barrel out in the next year or two and then get it rebarrelled with a slower twist for the heavier bullets.

Looks like it's sitting in the safe until winter. Thanks for all the replies. Extremely helpful!

Punch it to AI now, burn the barrel out by fire forming 2,000 rounds of brass, rebarrel to AI with 1:8 and run 60+ grainers.

I barely have a need for a 22-250 let alone the AI version. This is mostly a paper puncher and casual varmiter. AI'ing it is far down on the list of things I want to pay a gunsmith for.

NYT - doubled up on the plugs and the muffs. It still sproings.

I've got a 1902 manufactured 1886 Winchester in 33 WCF at the smith right now getting cleaned and put back into working order.

Not really practical, but who wouldn't want to tag an elk with that thing?

Hot....practical and panache have an inverse relationship in that practicality naturally goes down as panache goes up. An '86 in 33 WCF? Peggin' the panache meter to the right.

My wife said "that'd be awesome if you drew a bison tag". I told her to temper her excitement until she see's the invoice for the gun I'll "need".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back