Three more weeks....

deer_shooter

I think time is standing still! The wife and I are leaving on Oct 4 for Colorado then on to Wyoming for 'lopes, but the days are really dragging.

i agree. I am also heading to Wyoming the first week of October. . .and our bow season opens here on October 1st. . . .clock doesn't seem to move. . . .:)

Try your best to enjoy the anticipation, the hunting part is over too darned fast.

Amen to that...I leave the evening of October 2 for my first antelope hunt! Fortunately archery deer opener is this weekend in MN, so that will keep me a little occupied for a couple of days :)

what area is everyone hunting in Wyoming this year? I'll be heading into 42 on the 1st. good luck to all.

See y'all when you get here. Travel safely. Fall in the West is the best. I'll be hunting cow elk and my brother antelope this weekend south of Cody.

Leaving from just south of Kzoo...
Leaving on the 26th, pdogs are first on the list then on to Wyoming...area 23

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for WY for lopes...Have fun waiting... ) :)

Just got back.......

We started off in Southern Colorado where my wife had a tag. The first morning we checked out the public ground just below the Adobe Creek reservoir and saw nothing but road hunters. After consulting the maps we moved about 100 miles north towards Limon and found some lopes pretty quickly. They were few and far between and they were very skittish. We couldn’t believe how dry it was there, not much water to be found anywhere.

After a number of blown stalks and a pass on a small buck, she finally got a good shot and hit right under a nice buck. Next day we had a similar encounter only this time she shot over the back of another buck. Both shots were around 300 yards. So with tag soup for dinner, we headed to Wyoming. As I pulled off the highway on to BLM land, I saw six lopes feeding and looking at me with mild interest. I must have taken too long to dig the rifle out of the truck as they were long gone by the time I had crept to where I could have taken a shot. I went after them and it didn’t take long to find them and after a short stalk, I had one on the ground. Doe - John.JPGBackstraps for dinner while watching the sun set then had a few beers under the stars. Does it get much better?

The next day was full of lope sightings, blown stalks and whole lot of fun, including watching a solid booner firmly camped on private ground. I had a shot at a decent buck in the morning and blew it. After chasing them for several miles, I got another crack and made the most of it. He was broadside at 315yards and didn’t go far. BUCK - John.JPGEarlier in the day, after putting in a few miles, my wife as able to creep up on a small group of does and made a perfect 95yard shot on a big doe, her first western big game animal. Best part was we could see the truck from where it fell. Doe - Kathy.jpg

Overall, I couldn’t ask for a better trip, we saw a lot of game, filled three out of four tags, and as a bonus, I found a liquor store in Casper that had 3 cases of Alaskan Stout so bought it all. One of my favorites and not available on the east coast. Already planning next year’s trip.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back