Thoughts on a new scope.

Camdu7

I ordered a Montana Rifle Co. X2 LH in 270wsm about 4 weeks ago. So now that the holidays are over I'm trying to figure what to get for a scope. The gun will be mostly used out west for MD, lopes and elk during combo hunts. I have a couple of Weaver Super Slams and I really like the 3-15x range and quality of the scope. I have been looking at another weaver SS (50mm $370, 42mm $500 at natchez), Bushnell elite 6500 ($550 with pro deal) or a Nikon Monarch 5 ($550). I have also been looking at a Zeiss conquest HD ($850) and VX-6 but the extra $ would go a long ways towards tags for me and the wife. I'm thinking a 50mm obj would require super high rings to clear on the Montana rifle and I not sure I would like that.

So any thoughts on these scopes or any others I should check out when I head to Cabela's next week?

I use a 56mm on a 20 moa base with low rings, on a #5 barrel. I would do some measuring to see what you can get away with.

Nikon, Weaver, Bushnell, blah, blah, blah. $250, $350, $800, blah, blah, blah.
Cabelas has everything you need. Take your wife or friend with you. Grab one of their wooden rifle jigs and have your wife/friend put a scope in it. Look through the scope at different items, different magnifications, etc. Do this with several to get a baseline. Now that you have a baseline, start over and grade each on on a scale of 1 to 20- there will be many and using a wider range makes it easier to separate them.
Have your wife/friend write down (without you seeing it) the model and your rating. When you feel like you have seen all you need to see, go over the list. Start at the top with the highest ranking scope you looked at. Is it within your budget? Does it fit your rifle and body shape? Does the manufacturer stand behind their product? If so, congratulations! You have found the perfect scope for you but were not swayed by name, media or pricing.

Scope objective size I'd say is personal preference. If it's going to be in a scabbard on a horse or even the backpack scabbard, I'd lean towards the 40s. Solid check-weld is important so try to keep the scope mounted low or an adjustable/strap-on check rest. I personally had bad luck with the Bushnell Elite and I haven't used a Weaver in many years, but you already know that scope well. The others you mention are good, don't shy away from the Leupold VX3 if you don't want to spend the money for the VX6. I've also been impressed with the Burris XTR and Veracity scopes, if they're in the price range you're looking at.

If you ask Jeff and the crew at Montana Rifle Co. what scope they suggest, I bet their recommendation would have a gold ring on it. If the VX-6 is beyond the budget, right now the Leupold VX-3 comes at a better price than any of the three you mention. And I suspect most would find it to be a better scope with a better lifetime warranty.

Good luck with your choice.

So any thoughts on these scopes or any others I should check out when I head to Cabela's next week?

Yes, if you are looking at a VX6 and are at Cabela's give me a call from the store and have me shoot you some prices.

It depends on whether or not you are a turret turner. If you spend lots of time spinning turrets, then you might want to do some research before buying. Some scopes are great for set and forget, but constant turret spinning may leave your wondering where your bullet went.

If you are a dialer, then Nightforce, SWFA and one or two others stand out. Leupolds actually have a fairly large failure rate for that type of use. They back their products well, but if they fail when you need to dial up a shot, then that doesn't mean much.

As far as Bushnell goes, I have had real good luck with my Bushnell Elite scopes. I have three and have never had a problem. One rides on a 7 mag and has handled the recoil just fine.

I also have a great Leupold, but it is not a turret spinner. I have the B&C reticle in it.

For standard use, any of the ones that you listed will be great. I have read real good things about Weavers, but the only one that I had was an old one.

VX3 4.5x14x40 CDS fits in the power ranges mentioned....just put one of these from schmalts on a SIL's
r9fle...good price, excellent glass

VX3 4.5x14x40 CDS fits in the power ranges mentioned....just put one of these from schmalts on a SIL's
r9fle...good price, excellent glass

I have the same on my 7mag (non CDS model) and it is a lot of scope for the money. Even the VX2 is tough to beat IMO.

3.5X10X40 CDS , Leupold. Look no further.

I've been on the site for a long, long time.

I've suffered the bullshi&&, I've seen the wisdom (and learned).

Contact Schmalts.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'm going to go put my hands on as many a I can and see what I like. I'll post some pics when the I get it all set up.

I have Burris, Bushnell, Shepherd, Leupold and now Athlon. All do the job for me.

Maynard Reece Byrd
Pro Staff Athlon

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back