Thought I'd try a picture post....

Daniel in Ak

Sure had fun hunting Grouse up here.Them birds are everywhere,but here are a couple of my very first grouse ever.
Now Im certifiablly addicted to Grouse hunting,even the wife likes it and my 6 year old shot his first this year and wants it mounted hahaha!Well $75.00 to have it mounted aint bad to see him smile.Daniel

dan5.jpg

grouse3.jpg

Thanks Nut! and congrats on your first.Both of these where from the year previous and where actually like my 4th and 5th birds I think,also Ruffed like yours.If I remember right I bagged just over 70 birds that season,but this past season was slow going as we concentrated on Caribou,Salmon and Ducks and I think my bird cound on grouse was 43.
Sure hope to put in more time this year on Grouse then ducks.But it's hard to do that with everything going on up here almost at the same time
Daniel

Daniel, Cool pics man. Growing up my dad always called those ruffed grouse fool hens...don't know why. Last fall while bowhunting, I think I was the only fool because I couldn't put a good stalk on a ruff to save my life. We shoot a lot of big old blue grouse but get our fair share of ruffs too. One thing I do know for sure....they sure are good eatin'!!!!!!

Howdy! Wiley!
I sure know why he call's em fools hen's....I tell you you can walk right up to them birds and chuck a rock at them to save on shot shells.
The hardest one for me was my Sharptail,now that is a skittish bird.Never seen a Blue grouse,but I bet they taste as good as any ol' grouse...mmmmmm!.....mmmmmmm! good! :)Thanks Wiley.Daniel

Thanks Elkhunter and Elkchsr.I'd Like to post more pic's for ya'll to see but Moosie and I need to get together on this pic posting issue.Ya'll will like the pic's I have and I would like to share them as well.Thanks again fellas.Daniel

Originally posted by wilecoyote76:
Daniel, Cool pics man. Growing up my dad always called those ruffed grouse fool hens...don't know why. Last fall while bowhunting, I think I was the only fool because I couldn't put a good stalk on a ruff to save my life. We shoot a lot of big old blue grouse but get our fair share of ruffs too. One thing I do know for sure....they sure are good eatin'!!!!!!
Man we must be spoiled in my area......there's so many ruffed grouse that there's many of us that don't even shoot them as much anymore....we call them "land carp".....and like the carp, they're fun to get every once in a while, but like to pursue something a little more challenging like Pheasant or Partridge............

Great Post and fantastic pic....congrats on some great hunts... ;)

Thanks Rut...Man that "land carp" expression sure made me laugh hahahahaahaha! Being from Arizona myself Im loving this land carp hunting for now,sure beats them dad-gum scalies that make ya run after them through four counties just for measley bite,unlike them Grouse that are a mouth full,mmmmm,mmmmm good! hahahaha! Daniel

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back