This is your property classification and appraisal notice

I thought quality education included a certain ratio of students/teachers as well as infrastructure.

Are you saying that public schools will maintain or exceed the current quality of education with a 5-8% increase in students and no additional increase to teachers or infrastructure?

Also, are property taxpayers going to be supportive of the increase in property taxes?
I already told you, I don't have and never have had a problem with paying taxes. Even less of a problem when it comes to funding public schools that any kid can attend.

Not only would I be fine with paying more, I would welcome it. In particular if we hired better teachers and paid them more than a fast food worker. I mean, after all, they're only teaching your kids.

I feel I received a pretty damn good public school education, and most all of my classes had 30 or more kids in them. Kids that needed extra help, got it from the better students or the teachers. Maybe that's changed and the classes now have 60-70 kids in each one?

I think maybe my point was missed.

If you want your private school to be publicly funded, isn't that willingly foregoing the very reason why you are sending your kids to private school in the first place?

Separation of church and state?

I don’t want my kid’s education to be funded by other taxpayers. I want the ability to have the amount of my own personally generated income that is currently taken from my family by the government for the purpose of educating society’s children (of which my kids are part) to follow them to the school of our choice for the period of time in which they are enrolled. It should be my prerogative how my money is spent along with what values I want my children to be indoctrinated with as students.

How the government spends my property taxes after my kids are out of school isn’t my concern. I’m happy to do my part to fund an educated society.

Currently, local taxpayers enjoy a reduced rate of taxation because myself and other parents who homeschool or send their kids to private schools self- fund their education rather than asking taxpayers to do so for them. I think it’s a pretty fair deal for parents to ask for school choice in the amount of whatever they are directly taxed during the period their children are being educated.

Are you saying that public schools will maintain or exceed the current quality of education with a 5-8% increase in students and no additional increase to teachers or infrastructure?

Also, are property taxpayers going to be supportive of the increase in property taxes?
Straw man/ false equivalency argument.

The number of students attending a district has nothing to do with the amount of your property tax. Your tax is based on your assessed value, not how many kids go to the school district.

Property tax funds are put into a general education fund at the state level, then divided up to school districts based on head count. If there was 5-8% more students in the public school district, their funding from the state would increase in proportion. That would mean 5-8% more funding to provide more teachers, more support services etc.

I don’t want my kid’s education to be funded by other taxpayers. I want the ability to have the amount of my own personally generated income that is currently taken from my family by the government for the purpose of educating society’s children (of which my kids are part) to follow them to the school of our choice for the period of time in which they are enrolled. It should be my prerogative how my money is spent along with what values I want my children to be indoctrinated with as students.

How the government spends my property taxes after my kids are out of school isn’t my concern. I’m happy to do my part to fund an educated society.

Currently, local taxpayers enjoy a reduced rate of taxation because myself and other parents who homeschool or send their kids to private schools self- fund their education rather than asking taxpayers to do so for them. I think it’s a pretty fair deal for parents to ask for school choice in the amount of whatever they are directly taxed during the period their children are being educated.
There's a price to pay being part of a society, one of them is taxes. Another is paying for public schools, public highways, etc.

If you dont want to participate in public schools, good, dont. That's your choice. Keep paying like you are currently. Exactly how it is, and should be.

The number of students attending a district has nothing to do with the amount of your property tax. Your tax is based on your assessed value, not how many kids go to the school district.

Property tax funds are put into a general education fund at the state level, then divided up to school districts based on head count. If there was 5-8% more students in the public school district, their funding from the state would increase in proportion. That would mean 5-8% more funding to provide more teachers, more support services etc.
Don't forget, schools are partially funded by the state school trust lands/assets as well. It's not just taxes.

Which I agree with and is a damn good deal for public education.

Is that head count by general population or by public school enrollment?

Is that head count by general population or by public school enrollment?
Actual head count at the public schools.

Not sure on the particulars of MT, but in ID they actually take a random day of the school year, count the students IN ATTENDANCE district wide (of the public school system) and that’s what determines the funding.

So if your kids are going to private, they are not accounted for in any way towards the public school district.

Actual head count at the public schools.

Not sure on the particulars of MT, but in ID they actually take a random day of the school year, count the students IN ATTENDANCE district wide (of the public school system) and that’s what determines the funding.

So if your kids are going to private, they are not accounted for in any way towards the public school district.

So, private school students and homeschoolers face government discrimination while property owners enjoyed a reduced rate below “fair” taxation because the cost of education for private and homeschooling students isn’t part of the equation in consideration of how much it costs to educate American children. Seems fair and equitable to me.

You guys who like it this way are entitled to your preferences. I’m probably going to stay a bit salty about the status quo.

So, private school students and homeschoolers face government discrimination while property owners enjoyed a reduced rate below “fair” taxation because the cost of education for private and homeschooling students isn’t part of the equation in consideration of how much it costs to educate American children. Seems fair and equitable to me.

You guys who like it this way are entitled to your preferences. I’m probably going to stay a bit salty about the status quo.
Of course it's fair, what part of it was your choice to send your kids to private school or home school is difficult to grasp?

You're not being discriminated against, you can send them to public schools any time you want to.

Nope, I did too. Graduating class of 32 great people (OK, a few were assholes). I had known most of them since first grade.

Last edited:
Me as well...and in Missoula, clear through college.

Thankful for those that paid their taxes to allow me do so. Why I don't mind doing the same for others.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back