Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

This is what's wrong with hunting.

DouglasR, welcome to the Forum. I assume you own land in a rural area that has plenty of deer, turkey, etc. If so, is all about choices so good on you for being patient with folks that want to be on your property for various reasons. If you do not own land with critters, cool comment.

I wonder, if I shoot the woodchuck eating all my beans and it dies on the neighbors property, would I care? Better put it on YouTube so everyone can tell me their options.

So if he shot the bull a mile from the boundary and the same scenario played would you be okay with it? While I agree there was no need to shoot something that close to the boundary without having confirmed permissions what has your thread and YouTube accomplished besides making you both look bad

Honestly, didn't care either way with that decision. It was the subsequent behavior that was annoying, so I decided to criticize him just to see how he'd respond, and he played right into it. A professional would have reacted differently.

I echo what everyone was saying here, but I have a question. Maybe I missed it, but do we know that the fence was the property line? Don't dogpile me for defending the guy as I am not on his side in any way, but if that wasn't the property line then maybe we all assumed wrong. If it was, just keeping piling on him!

Thanks @devon deer for tagging me in,

I spend a lot of time travelling too and from the continent (Germany) to learn and work my dog, I also travel many many miles here on the UK to help other hunters if required.

I am one of only a handful of dog handlers with a qualified tracking dog (European recognised tracking tests)in England we have a big problem with boundary’s, you are on a track and you have blood for hair at the fence and without permission legally I can not cross. Last year 3 tracks all over 3km and I had to stop.

Now I don’t know how things go on the US, but if a beast crosses a fence wounded the first thing I would do is find the land owner and at least notify them of the situation, you never know you luck they might give you permission to continue your search.

The pictures below are from a young red stag shot close to a boundary fence, the hunter went for a neck shot and the bullet hit the throat, the animal ran with the herd almost 2km we tracked the next morning, once shot the animal crossed and the hunter gained permission for us to cross and start the search, one of the very few times this has happened!

In my opinion you don’t shoot 2 animals if you can’t find the first.

Attachments

• 668FD8AB-5F7E-436D-A09D-1345F7A790C9.jpeg
    668FD8AB-5F7E-436D-A09D-1345F7A790C9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 14DDBBDE-A790-4C94-99A4-9E9003528690.jpeg
    14DDBBDE-A790-4C94-99A4-9E9003528690.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thanks @devon deer for tagging me in,

I spend a lot of time travelling too and from the continent (Germany) to learn and work my dog, I also travel many many miles here on the UK to help other hunters if required.

I am one of only a handful of dog handlers with a qualified tracking dog (European recognised tracking tests)in England we have a big problem with boundary’s, you are on a track and you have blood for hair at the fence and without permission legally I can not cross. Last year 3 tracks all over 3km and I had to stop.

Now I don’t know how things go on the US, but if a beast crosses a fence wounded the first thing I would do is find the land owner and at least notify them of the situation, you never know you luck they might give you permission to continue your search.

The pictures below are from a young red stag shot close to a boundary fence, the hunter went for a neck shot and the bullet hit the throat, the animal ran with the herd almost 2km we tracked the next morning, once shot the animal crossed and the hunter gained permission for us to cross and start the search, one of the very few times this has happened!

In my opinion you don’t shoot 2 animals if you can’t find the first.

When I get a call for my dogs, it's become my policy that the hunter first secure permission from neighboring properties, and if the animal is shot near a border, depending on property size, I may ask that neighbors beyond neighbors be contacted. In Texas, where we track off leash I feel it's a necessity, I have a friend who had a really nice dog killed by a neighboring deer hunter...and that's just not something I'm willing to risk. I turn a lot of calls down on some of these really small tracks if significant permission can't be obtained before hand.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back