Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Thinking about a new rifle

Robertsj22

Im thinking about a new rifle for whitetails/elk. Id like to get a nice wood stock gun. All the guns i own are stainless with a synthetic stock. I wanna get a nice gun. i have a savage package gun and its nice but id like to step up to a little better rifle. Im thinking like a model 7 or a hawkeye or a model 70. any other suggestions are welcome.

You can never go wrong with a 30-30 or a 45-70 put a scope on with over and under rings so you can use the scope or the open sights.

Ruger #1 BBZ, Kimber Classic, Yes on the Model 70, Bergara makes one in lumber, Sako...lotsa choices.

if you aren't set on a bolt action, check out a Browning BLR lever action. comes in every caliber you would want but I think its better in a short action .308 7mm-08 or you can go up to a 450 marlin or .358 Win. not only is it wood and blue but its not going to be in every hunting camp. for Bolt gun I'd go with a Sako 85 Classic if I could afford it

I own a couple of Model Seven SS rifles and love them. One is a 7 SAUM and the other is a 7-08. Both are very accurate.

I have a M70, but mine is the good kind(push fed action). I'll never buy one with a crf action.

There are lots and lots of choices, many of which depend on your budget. I've always liked Ruger and have a few of them, all of them have been good shooting rifles.

If you want a beautiful yet functional rifle it's tough to go wrong with a Model 70 Supergrade or a Ruger #1. Beautiful and they've killed a whole lot of animals in our deer camp.

Do you have a budget?

I've always liked the simple classic lines of a Ruger M77. I have a Hawkeye in .270 and it shoots great with whatever I feed it. I don't think you could go wrong with a M70 or a M700 either. All good looking and good guns...

I am partial to the Browning X Bolt Eclipse Hunter. Thumbhole stock, laminate wood, beautiful gun, and they shoot amazing.

Maybe a model 7 in 7mm 08 with a laminated stock ! I put a thumbhole laminated on one of my 300 ultras and love it ! It's almost like getting a new Gun .

How much money you want to spend? You mentioned a Savage package gun. I've got a mod 70 featherweight in 6.5x55. Very nice rifle but close to $800, several Rem 700's and all in wood stocks, shoot everything I have is in a wood stock. i really like 700's maybe because I've used them for so long with no problems and excellent accuracy. My latest rifles are Mossberg Patriot's w/wood stocks. Really nice rifles and shoot right along with my 700's. There's a new Patriot called a Reserve that looks like one really nice rifle, around $600. Beyond that, I haven't bought a lot of different brands. Mostly because I don't like how other's look. I'm sure any brand that you like the looks and feel of will generally do all you want for a hunting rifle. Hard part of the deal for me is finding rifle's I like in fairly local store's. The 700 ADL is my favorite in wood and blue metal. Try to find one though! Seem's about all you can find anymore are those butt ugly plastic stocks! If you were to find a wood one around here it would be an expensive high grade rifle I couldn't afford.

There is a lot you can do by yourself to "improve" your Savage. That is one of the reasons some Savage owners swear by the brand. It's a great rifle for those who like to DIY. I have re-barreled and upgraded the trigger on mine. There is a forum for those who love their Savage rifles.

Cruise the used racks and see what's out there. Most shops will have a warranty on used guns. You can get some humdinger deals if you are patient and take your time.

I'd 4th or 5th the Ruger #1, and the Model 70. Ruger tends to use rather plain wood anymore. Kimber Classics usually have decent wood for their price point.

Nothing better than a nice piece of wood.

FOgGqvO.jpg

8kBG2g0.jpg

BUe754M.jpg

DhFz0dd.jpg

iXzo6ui.jpg

QFYaKXV.jpg

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member