Caribou Gear

Things you've mistaken for elk/deer

jlong17

I am sure many of us have been fooled by fluties, suckered by squirrels, or bamboozled by birds... but what are some other things that have tricked you?
I'll go first. I was bow hunting for elk this last September. It had been a really quiet week, nothing was talking... I had almost forgot what a bugle sounded like. The temps were high and the smoke was thick - making my sinuses feel like garbage. Finally, the conditions started to cool off and a bit of snow began to fall. I felt it would be a good morning to sit and listen, perhaps they'd be talking. Just as the sun came up I heard a distant "Bugle". I made my way in the direction I thought I heard it and sat still. Seconds later, another distant "Bugle". It still sounded far away, but I was confident I could close the gap and pinpoint it's origin. I made my way a couple hundred more yards and stopped to listen and warm my hands up. I heard the "Bugle" again, almost immediately... but this one sounded much closer. The forest was dead quiet, no wind at all and just a light snow falling. I pulled my ears out from underneath my beanie to try and detect every sound possible. Again, I heard the high pitch of a "Bugle", only this time I realized the origin of was right underneath my nose... literally! The week of breathing smoke had caused some pretty nasty sinus congestion and produced some of those big, black, crusty boogers. One of them bad boys lodge himself just right in my nostril to produce an impressive whistle... that sounded like a pretty dang good bugle. And that's how I was beguiled by the Buglin' Booger.

Eyes do funny things. Hunting open country without much to look at for distance and scale, I’ve more than once thought I saw critters on a distant hillside only to glass it and realize that “distant” hill is only about 500 yards and those “critters” are rocks or other inanimate objects no bigger than basketballs. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Bowhunting for antelope in 90+ degrees a couple years ago, mirage galore. Thought I spotted a small group of antelope in a depression at the bottom of a hill a mile away or so. Dropped down and wide around slowly and carefully came in on the top of the hill as low as I could trying to avoid skylining myself only to see that it was a group of dead sunbleached yucca stumps.

It was after that trip that I came to the conclusion that for myself, hunting is meant to be done in cool/cold weather.

I mistook a cow carcass for antelope...wishing thinking on my part (#63-64)

More commonly though, a squeak in my equipment, or a vine stuck to my leg or something...keep searching for the distance for the source of the sound and realize it was me all along like the OP.

My eyes have been fooled by plenty of logs, rocks, and brownish shrubs over the years...I’ve made some pretty impressive stalks with my bow and the “deer” never moved an inch the whole time.

Still hunting deer in thick timber about 25 years ago I caught a glimpse of movement and identified the butt of an animal through the trees. Head obscured I couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe so I watched intently through the scope for identification, soon after I noticed a large ball bag hanging between his legs and realized it was a young Bighorn Ram about 15 miles from his nearest home turf. Have always wondered where he was going or ended up.

Yesterday there was a log laying out in the open where no deer would lay, but it looked like a perfect deer silhouette... I kept checking on it for almost 2 hours (just in case) 'til the guy i was with told me he spotted a deer and walked me in to that same log. It continued to not move (since it's a log) when he put a spotting scope on it and we finally agreed that it wasn't a deer. Just to be sure I looked at it through the spotting scope and not only was it a deer, but it was a nice buck.

Lots of weird plants down in Southern Az. The two combos that get me the most are prickly pear/jackrabbits and barrel cactus/javalina.

I stalked a black stump for a hundred yards and five minutes in fading light one spring bear season. I was archery hunting and got with about 150 yards before I figured it out.
I've stalked endless stumps thinking they were bears...or even worse watching an entire mountainside thinking they're all stumps and after an hour 1 starts moving but it's 2 miles away and it's 20 minutes to dark.

We lose things pretty quickly sometime's on the ice. Polar's can just "disappear" into the landscape and reappear just as quickly

Hunting Wife's reference to rocks happen's to us when hunting sheep.

Animal comparison, and/or taking a second look--wolverine or young black bear--black bear or grizzly.

Dating in college helped me fine tune my ability to see the field clearly before pulling the trigger ;)

The old black mineral tubs in the sand hills can be surprisingly deceiving. The new plastic ones are blue or orange so the confusion is less but they blow around once the mineral is gone 😤

We lose things pretty quickly sometime's on the ice. Polar's can just "disappear" into the landscape and reappear just as quickly

Hunting Wife's reference to rocks happen's to us when hunting sheep.

Animal comparison, and/or taking a second look--wolverine or young black bear--black bear or grizzly.

Dating in college helped me fine tune my ability to see the field clearly before pulling the trigger ;)
Funny girl, days are getting longer how have you wintered?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back