Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Things Schools Don't Teach Well

ELKCHSR

10 Things Schools Don't Teach Well
By LiveScience Staff

Good manners and basic social skills such as taking turns are just as important to kids' success in school as a focus on reading, writing and 'rithmetic, a new book suggests.

Students should learn charm-school skills alongside the academic subjects that teachers must pass on to meet the demands of the federal No Child Left Behind Act, said co-author Stephen Elliott of Vanderbilt University.

The top 10 skills that students need to succeed based on the authors' surveys of more than 8,000 teachers include:

• Listen to others
  • Follow the steps
  • Follow the rules
  • Ignore distractions
  • Ask for help
  • Take turns when you talk
  • Get along with others
  • Stay calm with others
  • Be responsible for your behavior
  • Do nice things for others.

"If we increase social skills, we see commensurate increases in academic learning," Elliott said. "That doesn't mean that social skills make you smarter; it means that these skills make you more amenable to learning."

Elementary school kids and teachers value cooperation and self-control, Elliott said. When those behaviors are taught and reinforced, fewer children act out and there is more time for learning.

The book, "The Social Skills Improvement System—Classwide Intervention Program," is based on a survey done in 2006. The authors found almost exactly the same list of desired social skills when they did the survey in 1989, Elliot said. "Society has not changed what it values as fundamental social behaviors," he said.

Co-authored by Frank Gresham at Louisiana State University, the book includes a 10-week program that pre-school through middle school educators can use to teach the skills alongside academic subjects

that should read: "10 Things Parents Don't Teach Well"

that should read: "10 Things Parents Don't Teach Well"
A-FRICKEN-MEN!!!!!! For those of you who don't know, I am a 1st grade teacher. Let me tell you, I spend an inordinate amount of time working on those skills with kids when it should be taught at home. My daughter just started pre-school and the teacher was amazed because my daughter said "Yes, ma'am" and "No, ma'am" You're damn right she does!!!! My wife and I raise our children to show respect to adults. In my short 5 years of teaching I have encountered some atrocious behavior in my classroom. I mean, things you would never believe a 6-7 year old child would do. Even more amazing is how blissfully unaware some parents are. They think its normal!!! Of course, even worse, are the parents who just don't care. I have these kids for 7 hours a day. They have 1 hour for lunch/recess, plus 30 minutes/day of either gym/music/library. That leaves me with 5 1/2 hours to teach them reading, writing, math, handwriting, spelling, grammar, science, social studies, art, and health. Now, it seems, that parents want me to teach their kids how to not behave like a bunch of heathens.

I'll get down from my soapbox now.

Thank you.

Guppie- It is unbelievable that people want to put the onus on the teacher for teaching ethics and behaviour. One thing I think a lot of families no longer do is sit down at a dinner table and eat. It seems easy but a lot of manners are taught at this time. It is also a great time to catch up with how each other's day has been. I recently went to a restaurant with my parents, wife and two kids. We talked, ate and finished. A lady from a table next to ours came over and said she hoped my kids hit her kindergarten class...they were civil and knew manners. My kids behaviour is a source of pride with me but in reality, shouldn't be an oddity with others.

This is the first time ever, and could possibly be the last time...(I can't believe I'm going to say this), but I completely agree with Jose.

Co-authored by Frank Gresham at Louisiana State University, the book includes a 10-week program that pre-school through middle school educators can use to teach the skills alongside academic subjects

Translation: Please buy my book and program. I am generally leary about any "article" or guest speaker who ends with "Buy my book/program". It makes it sound like a big infomercial.

This is the first time ever, and could possibly be the last time...(I can't believe I'm going to say this), but I completely agree with Jose.

Amazing, isn't it. Once in a while he does type something that one can agree with. I agree w/ him this time too:eek: . I think agreed with him on something else a while back, but I can't remember the subject right now.

BTW - Matt, when did you start spelling like Jose? :
teaching ethics and behaviour
...........Is he rubbing off on you?

A-FRICKEN-MEN!!!!!! For those of you who don't know, I am a 1st grade teacher. Let me tell you, I spend an inordinate amount of time working on those skills with kids when it should be taught at home. My daughter just started pre-school and the teacher was amazed because my daughter said "Yes, ma'am" and "No, ma'am" You're damn right she does!!!! My wife and I raise our children to show respect to adults. In my short 5 years of teaching I have encountered some atrocious behavior in my classroom. I mean, things you would never believe a 6-7 year old child would do. Even more amazing is how blissfully unaware some parents are. They think its normal!!! Of course, even worse, are the parents who just don't care. I have these kids for 7 hours a day. They have 1 hour for lunch/recess, plus 30 minutes/day of either gym/music/library. That leaves me with 5 1/2 hours to teach them reading, writing, math, handwriting, spelling, grammar, science, social studies, art, and health. Now, it seems, that parents want me to teach their kids how to not behave like a bunch of heathens.

I'll get down from my soapbox now.

Thank you.

..just curious Guppie, do you ever get reamed by a parent for correcting little Johnny's boorish 'behaviour'?

.NHY said ".just curious Guppie, do you ever get reamed by a parent for correcting little Johnny's boorish 'behaviour'?"

NHY, I could tell you horror stories. My wife "taught" ES kids for five or six years. Cop's had to be called many,many times. I'm glad she teaches the mentally and physically handicapped the last 12 years.

NHY - Definately....a few years ago I had a horrible "behaviour" problem and the parents blamed me for everything. They complained to the principal and generally made my life miserable. Fortunately, my principal had witnessed this kid's behavior in person and backed me 100%. My best friend at work is a 2nd grade teacher and he got that student the next year. He said that he got blamed for everything, as well. They complained all the way up to the superintendent, but with the principal backing us, it went nowhere. My friend has been teaching for 14 years and said this kid was, hands down, the worst student he had ever seen when it comes to "behaviour".

What you mean:confused: I'm in school and I am tought all those things. So I have no idea why you say those things aren't tought, because I know that at least Park Ridge Elementry teaches those things.

Odog--Are you sure you learned those things in school? My guess is your mom and dad taught you these values. Your school should be commended for reinforcing what you are rightfully getting at home.

Okay I'll admit it I learned it at home. But I learned it again at school.

I tell you what these skills are taught by my wife in her class, she puts up with no BS.

My youngest attends Fork Union Military Academy and he likes it. No distractions and he recognizes that a good education is the bass for what he will need in life. He learned the skills he would need to get ahead at home and it made it easier for him to adapt at FUMA.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back