These are the gold old days!

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like we always talk about "The good old days." Well, for some folks, any day is a "Good old day."

I just got this email from Greg LaMere. This is a picture of his 81 year-old father, Gordy, from the Suomi area of Michigan (UP, or Yooper, as they call themselves).

Gordy was told by doctor's, his wife, family, and most everyone else, that his health would dictate that it might be best to hang up the rifle and stay home this deer season. Not to be deterred, Gordy went anyhow.

Not only did he go, but he shot one hell of a buck. For those of you who have hunted the big forests of the Great Lakes states, you know that taking any buck in those swamps is an accomplishment. To do it at age 81, when everyone is telling you to stay home, is even more of an accomplishment.

What buck Gordy shot. Thankfully, his son, Ray, and grandson, Nick, went out and were able to help Gordy get this tank out of the bush. Gordy reports that the buck has a 17" spread, and is a nine pointer that dressed at 165 pounds.

Congrats to Gordy. You are an inspiration to us all. Hell, if I live to be 81, it will be a miracle, let alone heading to the deer stand and shoot a buck like that. And congrats to his sons and grandsons for helping him keep the hunting fires burning.

Picture 004.jpg

Can't wait to see what he shoots next year!

Sorry for the western guys, but if Gordy says it is a nine pointer, it is a nine pointer, not a 4X5. As the old boys up north say, that is how we measure lumber, not bucks.

Would love to see any other "Gordy" pics and stories you guys might have.

That's pretty cool.
Reminds me of watching the Benoit shows, where the oldest (mid-eighties) is still out there beating the brush tracking deer.

Cool story and Pic.....I was sad when my DAD quit hunting at 80.... Didn't want to go along even in a nice 30ft. 5th wheel....Good for GORDY... nice Buck

This might be the first time ever I seen someone mention Suomi Location on the internet. To give you a idea of how small it is. Its only ten miles away from my house, but I never knew it was there the first 6 years I lived in Upper MI.
And a dandy buck for the area too.

That's awesome and I'm with Gordy on point count. Montana has had to school the New Englander out of me for reporting the total number of points on an animal as opposed to how many are each side. Every time I would "incorrectly" state the number of points the word "flatlander" kept coming up. One hell of a buck for sure.

Three cheers for the octagenarians who will make it out hunting this fall.

Hip, hip, hooray!
Hip, hip, hooray!
Hip, hip, hooray!

We have an upcoming episode with an 84 year-old guy from Townsend, Montana. He shoots a buck. The network is saving that one for Thanksgiving week. It will play many times that week, then again in December. By far, one of the funnest things we have ever done.

Ironic that the old boy in that episode was also from the UP of Michigan, with the Forest Service having planted him in Montana for forty-five years.

Nice job on the hunt, My old man is 75 and still loves the hunt. Just can't get him to understand what a trophy quality deer is, he still likes to shoot a nice big deer, rack size doesn't matter, O-well, to each is his own.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back