Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

These are the days.

jvanhoy

That’s what my wife said to me today. It hit me pretty hard. Watching my 16 year old daughter nap on the boat. My 14 year old daughter try to catch a bluegill and my 11 year old son go up and down, back and forth trying to bug both of them. When everyone told me when they were little it goes by in the blink of a eye it was hard to believe. Now I see it clearly. Only a few more years we will have them all together. I’m excited to see what they will do and what life has in store for them but I wish it would slow down just a little.

Attachments

• 2A8567D9-CEEA-4975-AC0A-AB3277AB02F3.png
    2A8567D9-CEEA-4975-AC0A-AB3277AB02F3.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 88
Today is my daughter’s third birthday. I don’t know how that’s possible. Got her her first fishing rod, and her grandpa and I are taking her out for the crappie bite in a couple weeks.

Like has been said by others, it’s startling how fast it goes, and I have to keep myself from the “I can’t wait until...” line of thinking. Like I was thinking when I bought Magnolia (my daughter) the rod, “I can’t wait until Wylie (my son) can join us fishing.” Need to just soak it all in and enjoy the here and now.

yes those are the days and yes they are gone before you know it. just seems like yesterday I was putting a ball on a T for my son to hit, he graduated from high school this past Friday and will be off to college this fall. lots of good memories tho and we will make many many more.

I have a 9 year old, 6 year old, and 2 year old. I was reminded by a friend the other day that we are nearly at the half way mark of our oldest being at home and under our care, instruction, and influence. It hit me like a punch in the gut but I was glad for it. It's easy to get out of the "cherishing" mindset and into the "completing the task at hand" mindset.

We have three boys. Aged 26, 24 and 20. It does go by fast and we were a little sad when they moved out and on but not too sad. They are good young men who are all doing great. My wife and I did what we are supposed to do and now we have time to do what we want to do. We still see them often and I hunt with them all the time. Actually they take me hunting now. They make the plans and what not. I just come along! It is very gratifying to see them as the young men they have become. Still can't wait for grandkids though!

My oldest Great Grandchild is 14. She has fished and hunted with me, but prefers soccer and basketball. Our children enjoyed hunting and fishing, a couple grandchildren like it, and so far so do a couple great grand children. But some of them have other interests and not only is that o.k. with me, I encourage them to follow--their dream.

We took our children with us a lot. Even taking them out of school sometimes so they could experience other cultures and how other's live. We also did the same with our grandchildren and I continued that family tradition with a couple great grand children. One grandchild was enrolled in a Bible College and I surprised her with a trip to Israel. We had a great time. A grandson wanted to go to Cancun a few years back and celebrate his 21st birthday. We decided to take several family members. His father and I went with him one evening to a local club. They were playing some song ( that noharleyyet would probably have recognized but I didn't ), but anyway people would get up on the bar and dance and if the crowd liked their dance they got a free shot of Tequila. When he was up there his father told me, we should probably not tell his mother about this, who had stayed at the hotel (-;

Recently, one of my great grandchildren ask me 'Granny, what would you like to do again, if you could ? " and I said---All of it !

I would like to finish this post by complimenting the men on this forum, those have already posted on this thread and those who will. Good for you guys!!!. In a world where fathers ( and some mothers ) are missing from children's lives, kudos to all of you gentlemen ! The children and grandchildren of the men on this forum are lucky to have you!

I will share one more thing with those raising young daughters . One of mine sent me a cute picture one time showing a little girl, throwing money out of a window and under the picture it said "what it is like raising a daughter." (-:

3 kids - son 21, daughters 19 and 16 - from chaos to almost an empty nester. It seems to take forever for the next hunting season to get here, but yet it seemed to go so fast with the kids. Trace Adkins song, You're Gonna Miss This, gets me every time. I really appreciated Randy's Shiras Moose hunt with Matthew, love time in the outdoors with my kids.

I like reading these kinda of post makes me think of all the good times I do have with my kids. I do tend get to caught up in the now and the hustle and bustle of life and forgot to slow down and enjoy my kids. I have 2 boys a 13 year old 😲 which doesn't even seem possible that he that old, and a 10 year old.

The little girl kissing her baby brother in my avatar is spending the night with us tonite. She’ll be 7 in 3 months. He is 4 now. Seems like yesterday.
You deserve your blessings, Harley.

In fact, we all do. I spend a lot of attention and energy in my small clinical practice and my personal life, cultivating gratitude. I'd recommend it to anybody.

...cultivating gratitude is a cool phrase.

I agree. My husband was always telling the children in our family to "pay it forward"

I have ask noharleyyet to post two songs of me.

Our daughter played "you can let go now daddy" ( it was song by crystal) but she found a specific utube clip, with the song, for her father

Our son used the Conwy Twitty's "thats my job" for his father

there wasn't a dry eye there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back