Yeti GOBOX Collection

These are the days.

I have a family friend (amazing hunter, by the way) whose three kids are about 10 years older than my three. When mine were little, and his were the age mine are now, he told me, “Just wait. Your life is about ready to speed up. It’s like somebody steps on the gas pedal.”

Of course, I was in the throes of middle-of-the-night bottle feedings and dirty nighttime diapers, and it didn’t seem all that possible. Well, he was right. My oldest starts middle school this fall. Not sure how it’s all happening quite so fast.

You better believe it. The good news is you get to do it all over again with their kids.

Don't dis-pare if they are getting ready to leave the nest, with luck you will get to do it again! That is the great news! Completely enjoying the second round, the latest adventure this past weekend.107193

My baby is now 30. Went hunting with me at 3. At 5, stopped at one of these trout farms where you buy by the inch. Would not quit catching fish and almost broke me. Early teens was in a 4 H shooting club. Time well spent and fun. Shot her first animal ( an antelope) at 14 or 15. Put her on deer and would not shoot.

She has become quite a shooter, but never a hunter.

At 30, she is still a joy and love the hell out of her. But nothing compares to those early years.

To the OP I have had that same thought a couple of times now in our families short history, but the moments are so short and fleeting, and for me they never stick like I wish they would. Like everyone else I want more of those moments but it's hard to make the time to create the opportunities for them. I suppose it doesn't have to be that deliberate, it just seems like the best way to approach them. I know personally on a day to day basis I don't think nearly enough about those moments but instead get stuck in the rut of going to soccer practice, and fixing irrigation, mowing hay, and pulling weeds, working out, and changing the oil, doing dishes, and cooking food. The list of "have to's" never ends but I get caught up and trying to cross them all off. Maybe we'll do to the river tonight with the kids. Make some time for a perfect moment.

It is interesting how my wife and daughter's relationship has progressed. Wife has always been the loving and supportive mother. As my daughter ages, their relationship has changed to best friends. The two visit or talk every day.

I somewhat understand as I had a similar relationship with my Mom. Went away to college and on to a career. Visit when I could, but not what was right. I am the youngest and as my parents health started failing, I moved back to be close to my parents and help when I could. I was around 30 at the time and started a tradition of calling or visiting every day. Kept that tradition until Dad died at 80 and Mom died at 89. Odd, when I moved back, two of my siblings also moved back. My parents had developed a strong sense of family obligation in all of their children.

Was very grateful for the time I spent with my parents late in life.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back