There's more wolves in the upper peninsula than Montana and Wyoming combined

Mature Buck

It's crazy isn't it more wolves in 16k square miles than 250k square miles but it's true. There are atleast 628 wolves sandwiched into 16k square miles in the upper peninsula than 2 major western states (about 300 in Montana and Wyoming each) Michigan has major wolf overpopulation caused by ignorant politicians who care more about emotional Peta morons than science sooner or later the U P will run out of deer and wolves will have to canibalize only then will we see a decline in wolves. People are also weary to shoot coyotes because they are afraid of being fined if they accidentally shoot a wolf. What do you guys think? If the U P ever allows wolf hunting whose gonna go up there and hunt them an help the deer?

Last edited:
There were 536 wolves counted in Montana last year. The west has a lot of high elevation country where game can't exist in numbers to support wolf populations. In the winter packs are forced into smaller areas. I would guess that home ranges of packs in the west are much larger for that reason.

Minimum population estimates in each western state, per the USFWS. "Minimum population estimate" is always much lower than the actual numbers.

Wolves.png

Last time I checked I think Alaska, Minnesota, and Wisconsin were tops in terms of wolf numbers. In Wisconsin they are concentrated to the northern 1/3 of the state (would imagine its the same in Minn.). Personally I have no problems with the wolves. They are a native species that has recovered and are a key part of a mostly intact ecosystem (something that has become very rare in the US today). I like seeing native species recover, whether they are game or not. I am also tired of all the screaming from the rafters about wolves. They certainly are recovered and shouldn't be on the list, but they are hardly the bloodthirsty psychotic killers that some folks make them out to be. I have a lot of experience in the northern Great Lakes wolf country. I spend a lot of time camping in the Northern Highland State Forest and Nicolet NF in Wisconsin as well as the Lake Superior State Forest and Hiawatha NF in the UP.

As for the effect on deer numbers? Sure they have some effect, but I feel it is small when you take in other factors such as habitat, weather, disease, hunting, etc. A lot of hunters simply blame wolves for their lack of hunting success. Makes them feel better about themselves I guess.

Last time I checked I think Alaska, Minnesota, and Wisconsin were tops in terms of wolf numbers. In Wisconsin they are concentrated to the northern 1/3 of the state (would imagine its the same in Minn.). Personally I have no problems with the wolves. They are a native species that has recovered and are a key part of a mostly intact ecosystem (something that has become very rare in the US today). I like seeing native species recover, whether they are game or not. I am also tired of all the screaming from the rafters about wolves. They certainly are recovered and shouldn't be on the list, but they are hardly the bloodthirsty psychotic killers that some folks make them out to be. I have a lot of experience in the northern Great Lakes wolf country. I spend a lot of time camping in the Northern Highland State Forest and Nicolet NF in Wisconsin as well as the Lake Superior State Forest and Hiawatha NF in the UP.

As for the effect on deer numbers? Sure they have some effect, but I feel it is small when you take in other factors such as habitat, weather, disease, hunting, etc. A lot of hunters simply blame wolves for their lack of hunting success. Makes them feel better about themselves I guess.

You have a point in the those states, but the wolf that was re-introduced west is a non-native wolf. I have no problem with wolves at all, but they need to managed, just as any other animal needs to be managed. They are a fantastic addition to the list of animals to be hunted.

What a load of crap...get that from Toby Bridges?

Sorry for upsetting you, Buzzy. I guess it is a matter of semantics. The eastern wolves have always been there and are flourishing now. The western ones were transplanted purposely from Canada. I have never read anything concerning Toby Bridges :W:

Wherever they come from there has been mixed emotions from people, as to them being here. As I stated, I have no problem with them, but they need to be managed.

Now, can you find something else to slam me on?:rolleyes:

Sorry for upsetting you, Buzzy. I guess it is a matter of semantics. The eastern wolves have always been there and are flourishing now. The western ones were transplanted purposely from Canada. I have never read anything concerning Toby Bridges :W:

Wherever they come from there has been mixed emotions from people, as to them being here. As I stated, I have no problem with them, but they need to be managed.

Now, can you find something else to slam me on?:rolleyes:

A fair number of wolves "purposely" transplanted themselves. The Ninemile pack was in Montana a decade before any transplant. Believe it or not wolves are not required to have a passport to cross the Canadian into Montana, Idaho, Washington or any other state.

A fair number of wolves "purposely" transplanted themselves. The Ninemile pack was in Montana a decade before any transplant. Believe it or not wolves are not required to have a passport to cross the Canadian into Montana, Idaho, Washington or any other state.

Maybe Rosie, Miley, and Alec will take some with them to Canada??

628 is nothing.....We have almost 2300 in northern MN and that is a +-15% number.

I doubt you'll find many places with a higher wolf density than where I hunt in northern Minnesota. There are some rough years hunting after a bad winter, but there are always a few deer around, and they rebound quickly with mild winters regardless of the wolves.

I've found there are two types of hunters. Those that accept and even (gasp) enjoy hunting with the wolves, and those that would rather spend their time back at the truck or in a bar b!$*#ing about how the wolves ate all of the deer. Hunters in the first group tend to be happier, much more successful, and a hell of a lot more enjoyable to be around.

All of that said, I'm 100% in favor of state management of wolves.

Back to the topic of the UP wolves.

It was in the news just last week that the governor signed into law that the wolf would be considered a game species. The state of Michigan is not preventing a harvest season for wolf management. It is the federal level and court rulings on delisting that is preventing proper population management. The state of Michigan has actually relaxed coyote harvest regulations in recent years including no closed season for coyotes during the firearm deer season and now opening up coyote hunting all year long. The point being made by the state is if the feds will not allow the state to manage this wolf population that they will not protect them for possible incidental shooting during coyote harvest methods. I'm sure law enforcement will not turn a blind I on an incidental harvest of a wolf though.

This thread is wrong there are only more wolves in the U P hand Montana not Montana and Wyoming combined I was using outdated stats and I hope have reviewed them before this post
I

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to when they open a season on them in the UP. That's a long weekend trip for me.

Send me the pics when you do the U P isn't what it used to be because of over population of wolves and coyotes. Take a coyote with you too.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuckyDraw
Back